8 night cruise out of NYC

I booked an 8 day anthem of the seas cruise from nyc in feb of 2024. It is an 8 night cruise. I previously did an 8 day on anthem but we stopped in Miami this time it just seems they added an extra sea day. My original thought  was that it takes longer for them to reach Florida in the winter d/t ocean currents or something but i saw there are 7 day sailings later in the month.  So my question which is purely a curiosity based one is why is this one an 8 night but with no extra port of call, it is scheduling/ logistic thing where they just needed the Bayonne port open or is there a higher appeal for an 8 night cruise vs a 7. Truthfully i loved Miami and wished we were stopping there again but i cant complain too much escaping the nyc winter is great no matter where you are going..  

2 minutes ago, jfio1021 said:

So my question which is purely a curiosity based one is why is this one an 8 night but with no extra port of call, it is scheduling/ logistic thing where they just needed the Bayonne port open or is there a higher appeal for an 8 night cruise vs a 7.

Likely a combination of $ and needing to move the turn around day.

• Like 1

Royal ran into issues with the Miami stops last year when passengers had to clear customs. I suspect they having info on pricing/sales that help push them to the 8-nighters, but want to avoid the headaches they experienced with the Miami stops last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jfio1021 said:

Sorry meant out of NJ. Thanks 

You do get spectacular views of the NYC skyline and the Statue of Liberty from Bayonne, so it's close enough 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jfio1021 said:

I booked an 8 day anthem of the seas cruise from nyc in feb of 2024. It is an 8 night cruise. I previously did an 8 day on anthem but we stopped in Miami this time it just seems they added an extra sea day. My original thought  was that it takes longer for them to reach Florida in the winter d/t ocean currents or something but i saw there are 7 day sailings later in the month.  So my question which is purely a curiosity based one is why is this one an 8 night but with no extra port of call, it is scheduling/ logistic thing where they just needed the Bayonne port open or is there a higher appeal for an 8 night cruise vs a 7. Truthfully i loved Miami and wished we were stopping there again but i cant complain too much escaping the nyc winter is great no matter where you are going..  

After 3 eleven night cruises in January, they need to re-align the embarkation dates.  They have 2 eight night cruises to get to Sunday departures.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xtremegk said:

Royal ran into issues with the Miami stops last year when passengers had to clear customs. I suspect they having info on pricing/sales that help push them to the 8-nighters, but want to avoid the headaches they experienced with the Miami stops last year.

I was on an 8 nighter after that issue and we did stop in Miami. The problem with the cruise you were referring to was the sequence of stops caused the ship to have to go through customs. It went from US to Bahamas back to US and then Bahamas so customs was necessary.

Also, prior January 11 night cruises had 5 ports of call. Some in Jan 2024 had the number of port stops reduced from 5 to 4. Royal's explanation was they wanted to improve guest experience with a smoother ride. I think they wanted an additional sea day so passengers would spend more money on the Anthem.

I'm booked on Anthem out of Bayonne in February 2024. The original itinerary included a stop in Miami before returning to Bayonne. As @xtremegk stated, this led to a customs s**tshow last year. Shortly after that debacle they dropped the Miami port stop.

Of course the subject line to this email read: "An exciting update to your itinerary!"

Screenshot_2023-07-18-16-17-33-46_e307a3f9df9f380ebaf106e1dc980bb6.jpg

15 hours ago, Miloomar said:

Bayonne is in NJ. Royal does not sail from NYC

😄 Being from the UK I have been pulled up on this mistake before. A New Yorker then claimed Anthem as it sails out out through New York waters under the Verazzano Bridge (may have spelt that incorrectly).

I don't know whether there is any basis to that but it was an interesting thread.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tin can said:

😄 Being from the UK I have been pulled up on this mistake before. A New Yorker then claimed Anthem as it sails out out through New York waters under the Verazzano Bridge (may have spelt that incorrectly).

I don't know whether there is any basis to that but it was an interesting thread.

It doesn’t, but there have been reports of captains taking an extra sail around there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tin can said:

9 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

It doesn’t, but there have been reports of captains taking an extra sail around there.

Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge is New York waters.  Statue of Liberty is in New Jersey waters

image.png.5114d37ca3922ac0c7930ae80e76c75b.png

• Like 1