Seasoned Princess Cruisers try Viking Ocean - Thoughts

bubbaed

We were on the Viking Neptune probably a week before you - from New York to Montreal and we'll be sailing on the Princess Crown to Alaska next month.

I completely agree with everything you wrote! While the Viking ship was the most beautifully designed ship I've been on and the staff was the best I've ever seen - it was not for us. It was the sleepiest cruise I've cruised. I actually felt guilty not whispering while at the pool because everyone around me was sleeping. 🙂

Also, there were no events except for the initial sail away from New York. Like you, we're not big party people but I want to feel like I'm part of the cruising experience and there was none. We were left on our own to 'meet like-minded people' in the Atrium. We laughed reading that every day in our Daily Planner.

I'm looking forward to our Princess cruise for more entertainment and bar venues with more lively music. The entertainers (while extremely talented) were just too mellow for us.

My husband was not happy with the bourbon selections either. Until Torshavn opens at 9pm, only Wild Turkey and Jim Beam were available. For a luxury line, we found this to be very odd.

I also agree that the food, while of great quality and variety, was a bit bland. Perhaps because the average age of the cruisers were about 80 on our ship.

I spoke with the Assistant Cruise director a few times because he had a couple of shows that were amazing and more energetic. People really enjoyed his shows - he actually received a standing ovation after one of them. I told him that they needed more lively entertainment and it was obvious the passengers wanted it.

Loved the thermal spa!! I'm curious to see how the thermal spa rates on our Princess cruise. We opted for the Penthouse suite so we will have access to the spa.

We have also cruised Seabourn and found them to be a good line - still a little quiet with limited entertainment but a great quality experience. My biggest complaint with them was the same one you had for Viking - limited hours for food. It was much worse than Viking. There is absolutely no food available (except for room service) from 3:00 to 6:45 every day. Dinner was only from 6:45 to 9:00 and it took so long, we missed most of the shows.

For the same price as Viking, we opted for the Penthouse Suite with the Premier package on our Alaska cruise, so I think it will be a great experience and we're really looking forward to it.

• Like 4

OP (and others who have cruised on Viking Ocean) - a very common complaint about Viking on the river cruises board is about their payment schedule.  Full payment for US passengers must be made up to a year in advance as I understand it.  Is that the same with Viking Ocean?

OP, thanks for starting this thread, as I had not seen it and put up a thread in the viking section regarding this topic. (I am wondering if people there are more viking centric vs people in the princess thread being more princess centric...)

I know that cruising really isn't the best way to 'see' the countries, but it is the most convenient. So I am most interested in the places and excursions. I have been on princess, but not viking. What appealed to me on viking was the smallness, I figured it was just easier when you have less people to get on and off. Also, having no kids. (The princess baltic cruise is june 30, so while there probably won't be many children, it is still vacation time). Plus I thought having everything included would make things easy. However, when I looked, not sure the included excursions would be the ones I want to do, so this might make things more equal. 

I like that viking has a historian on board, I want to learn about the places. OTH, after reading the thread, we also like the evening entertainment on princess and hearing viking is lacking might be an issue? 

Really appreciate the comments here. While I think viking is about 25-33% more, I am happy to pay for it IF IT IS WORTH IT. But I am looking for the best experience, and would be unhappy to find out that I am paying a premium but I would be just as happy or happier on princess!

Also, should note that viking starts and ends in stockholm and bergen, 2 non direct flights, while princess starts ends in london, easy to get to directly.

Edited by jbinbi

2 hours ago, jbinbi said:

OP, thanks for starting this thread, as I had not seen it and put up a thread in the viking section regarding this topic. (I am wondering if people there are more viking centric vs people in the princess thread being more princess centric...)

I know that cruising really isn't the best way to 'see' the countries, but it is the most convenient. So I am most interested in the places and excursions. I have been on princess, but not viking. What appealed to me on viking was the smallness, I figured it was just easier when you have less people to get on and off. Also, having no kids. (The princess baltic cruise is june 30, so while there probably won't be many children, it is still vacation time). Plus I thought having everything included would make things easy. However, when I looked, not sure the included excursions would be the ones I want to do, so this might make things more equal. 

I like that viking has a historian on board, I want to learn about the places. OTH, after reading the thread, we also like the evening entertainment on princess and hearing viking is lacking might be an issue? 

Really appreciate the comments here. While I think viking is about 25-33% more, I am happy to pay for it IF IT IS WORTH IT. But I am looking for the best experience, and would be unhappy to find out that I am paying a premium but I would be just as happy or happier on princess!

Also, should note that viking starts and ends in stockholm and bergen, 2 non direct flights, while princess starts ends in london, easy to get to directly.

In addition to my original post, I'll try to address some of your specific questions on the things that matter to you:

1. Sailing on a small ship definitely has its advantages - there are hardly any queues anywhere except for absolute peak times, and even then it moves very fast. Getting on and off the ship is very easy compared to 3000+ passenger ships, and the smaller ships often dock much closer to the city center. Advantage = Viking.

2. The no kids policy was great - if that matters to you, then you'll appreciate it. Advantage = Viking.

3. We didn't attend the enrichment lectures, but from what I heard, they were excellent. Advantage = Viking.

4. Included excursions were just so-so, and one of ours was terrible. Advantage = tie.

5. Evening activities (and activities in general) are limited on Viking. After the theatre show, you have Torshavn with a live band until about midnight then it shuts down. Advantage = Princess.

My advice: if it's not a financial stretch for you, try Viking. I've done Princess in the Baltics twice, and I think this would be one itinerary where the cost of Viking would be worth it.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bubbaed said:

In addition to my original post, I'll try to address some of your specific questions on the things that matter to you:

1. Sailing on a small ship definitely has its advantages - there are hardly any queues anywhere except for absolute peak times, and even then it moves very fast. Getting on and off the ship is very easy compared to 3000+ passenger ships, and the smaller ships often dock much closer to the city center. Advantage = Viking.

2. The no kids policy was great - if that matters to you, then you'll appreciate it. Advantage = Viking.

3. We didn't attend the enrichment lectures, but from what I heard, they were excellent. Advantage = Viking.

4. Included excursions were just so-so, and one of ours was terrible. Advantage = tie.

5. Evening activities (and activities in general) are limited on Viking. After the theatre show, you have Torshavn with a live band until about midnight then it shuts down. Advantage = Princess.

My advice: if it's not a financial stretch for you, try Viking. I've done Princess in the Baltics twice, and I think this would be one itinerary where the cost of Viking would be worth it.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for this. My initial thought was, ' if doing the baltic, who would do it better than viking ;-)' It's their namesake!

• Like 1

Enjoyed the review and all the comments.  We cruised the Viking Star early on during their rollout of ocean going ships.  We thoroughly enjoyed the experience but won't be back.

The killer was the tiny dance floor located in the dark inner sanctum amidships.  Princess dance venues and music have it all over Viking, in a big way!

We are also strict DIYers, and hated the included excursions.  We went on one the first port day and never did another.  And of course part of the fare pays for them 😀

• Thanks 2

We're currently on a 12 day UK cruise on the Regal. Our 4th Princess cruise. We had the opportunity to get a very cheap fare on the Viking Venus for an 8 day Adriatic, when cruising was only beginning to return in 2021. There was only 175 passengers on the ship and it was amazing! It felt like having our own private yacht.

We love both cruise lines, but they're very different from one another. In 2023 Viking cruise prices are upwards of 3k pp and for us there's better value for money with Princess. We have no issue cruising with the masses and the Regal even at capacity has never felt too crowded. We would like to try Viking again one day and would highly recommend them. In the meantime, right now we're more price focused and are happy to stick with Princess.

On 7/19/2023 at 10:24 AM, cruisingtheresa said:

We were on the Viking Neptune probably a week before you - from New York to Montreal and we'll be sailing on the Princess Crown to Alaska next month.

Loved the thermal spa!! I'm curious to see how the thermal spa rates on our Princess cruise. We opted for the Penthouse suite so we will have access to the spa.

For the same price as Viking, we opted for the Penthouse Suite with the Premier package on our Alaska cruise, so I think it will be a great experience and we're really looking forward to it.

I’m afraid the thermal spa on the Crown will be a disappointment for you, in comparison to the beautiful spa area on the newer, Royal Class, Princess ships.  I do think that the Crown is a better choice for Alaska as there is so much open deck, viewing area on Princess’ older ships compared to the beautiful Royal Class ships.

We once had an aft Penthouse Suite on the Sapphire in Alaska and it was incredible. The huge, covered, balcony overlooking the wake was wonderful and didn’t really want to leave the cabin!  Wishing you a wonderful voyage!  

• Like 1