Transportation from Rome (FCO) Airport to Civitavecchia Port in Aug 2023

Loves2Travel2much

Travelling with a family of 7 (all adults) in August and looking for recommendations for airport transfer from Rome Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia cruise port.  Saw Shared Shuttle (sharedshuttle.it) but it had very little reviews out there and they're mixed reviews.  Any recommendations (this company or any other reliable and safe company)?  or should we just hail a cab from the airport.  Help please?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You are going direct to the ship from the airport on embarkation day? Not recommended! Doesn't leave any room for delay, or to recover from jetlag. And miss one of the great cities of the world?

Cab is about the most expensive option. Particularly for 7 people, as no one cab will be able to handle you and all your luggage.

You are a bit late getting into the private transport game. Try Rome in Limo, great company and service, huge thread just down the board. There are others mentioned here almost daily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fixed fare for a taxi from the airport to Civitavecchia is 125 euro.  You can see the fixed fares on the city of Rome's website here:  Tariffario_Taxi_REV.pdf (comune.roma.it)

With taxis you will need several cars for a group this size, you'll do better with a car service that can bring a van that will fit everyone and their luggage.

This has been an extraordinarily busy year in Italy for tourism and you are quite late setting this up, you may need to call several different companies to find one that can help you.

Civitavecchia Transfer, Italy Transfers, Rome Limousine Transfer (romelimousines.com)

Private tours, Transfers & Shore Excursions - RomeCabs

Shuttle service to Civitavecchia port and Rome airport | CabRoma

Roma Shuttle Airport - Airports and Civitavecchia transfers, Tours and Excursions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 11:33 PM, Loves2Travel2much said:

Travelling with a family of 7 (all adults) in August and looking for recommendations for airport transfer from Rome Fiumicino Airport to Civitavecchia cruise port.  Saw Shared Shuttle (sharedshuttle.it) but it had very little reviews out there and they're mixed reviews.  Any recommendations (this company or any other reliable and safe company)?  or should we just hail a cab from the airport.  Help please?

My advice: take the train. Trains are wonderful in Europe. You can take a train from Fiumicino that goes to central Rome (I know, it's weird) and then to Civitavecchia in as little as 1 1/2 hours. Done it several times. My wife and I like to travel cheap (well, that's not exactly right: we like to penny-pinch on some things so we can splurge on others). Hailing a cab at the airport is great if you have deep pockets, but definitely can be done. How long between arrival at FCO and embarkation? PS I love this site, and use it all the time: https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Rome-Airport-FCO/Civitavecchia#r/Train

Edited by DCGuy64
added link

Rome2Rio is a good start, to give you the lay of the land, but it's not complete and sometimes not updated so always double check what you find there.

The train is a great budget option but you must be able to deal with your luggage yourself, there is no help with that.  This includes climbing up and down steps on the train (not all trains have steps, but some do), finding a place to stow the bags, lifting them over your head onto a rack.

15 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Rome2Rio is a good start, to give you the lay of the land, but it's not complete and sometimes not updated so always double check what you find there.

The train is a great budget option but you must be able to deal with your luggage yourself, there is no help with that.  This includes climbing up and down steps on the train (not all trains have steps, but some do), finding a place to stow the bags, lifting them over your head onto a rack.

Some do have only steps, but I have to say, more and more train stations have elevators everywhere, so you don't always have to schlep your luggage up and down stairs. Also, most trains have a spot to put your luggage that's on ground level (usual at the front and rear of every car), and sometimes between the rows of seats. The overhead rack I use only for lighter stuff like backpacks.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm a big user of trains and public transportation in general, but it's important to be truthful about what people may encounter.  Many cruisers, especially on longer trips to Europe, have a lot of luggage to deal with and that's not always compatible with public transit, especially for folks who don't use it often.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

I'm not arguing with you, I'm a big user of trains and public transportation in general, but it's important to be truthful about what people may encounter.  Many cruisers, especially on longer trips to Europe, have a lot of luggage to deal with and that's not always compatible with public transit, especially for folks who don't use it often.  

Also -- and it took me a few years to fully realize this -- a lot of cruisers, especially on European cruises, are older. When I first joined this site (2005!) I was an aggressive promoter of use of public transportation by all. Couldn't see why anyone wouldn't do it and save the $$$.  Gradually I realized many are just not capable of doing it. (It helped when I started picturing the "average" European cruiser as closer to my parents age than mine at the time, lol.)

But many won't come right out and say it -- that's why it took a few years to figure it out. 

Of course now I am almost 20 years older with a bad knee, and I'm starting to understand!

P.S. -- I think euro cruiser was referring to the steps you have to ascend/descend getting on and off the actual train. As a solo traveler I find those a bit difficult with a large bag.  It's easier with two people because one can stand at the top and one at the bottom and hand the bag(s) up and down. 

On 7/18/2023 at 11:33 PM, Loves2Travel2much said:

Just wondering if you were able to find a car service yet?

we have just returned from a cruise that started in Rome

we had a night pre cruise in Civitiveccia and the hotel arranged a taxi transfer for 130 euros between airport and hotel

it was a 7 seater minivan for 2 of us 

unfortunately dont know name of company but just to let you knw they exist and it was a very convenient option with our name on placrad as we exited airport