Car Rental St. John to St Andrews

Tall22

We would like to rent a car in St. John to travel to St. Andrews for a whale watching tour. We will be in St. John overnight so timing should not be an issue. Has anyone done this? Is there a car rental place near the port? Any other concerns that I should consider? 

We did that and used Enterprise at 132 Station Street.  It was technically close enough to walk in about 20 minutes - but it was very hilly and for my group a harder walk than we expected.  We called a cab after returning the car. One other point - at the time, Enterprise closed before we were back, but drop off was still easy - just park and place the key in a one-way bin they had available.  

We LOVED St Andrews! The drive out is beautiful and we could really see the tide change in the bay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrp4352 said:

it was very hilly and for my group a harder walk than we expected.  We called a cab after returning the car.

That walk would be very hard for me. If you don't mind saying, what was the cost of the taxi and rental? I'm trying to figure out if my total cost would come out any better than the ship's tour. Adding in those plus gas cost might make it close.

19 minutes ago, Tall22 said:

That walk would be very hard for me. If you don't mind saying, what was the cost of the taxi and rental? I'm trying to figure out if my total cost would come out any better than the ship's tour. Adding in those plus gas cost might make it close.

For those planning on renting in Saint John or even Halifax for that matter, you will find cars are scarce and expensive. That said, go on line as soon as possible to book. The price won’t get  better in the future. The other thing to consider on ship or multiple ship days, close by rental companies are a challenge 

It's been 5 years since we took the cruise and the cruise we were on didn't offer any excursions out of St. Andrews, so I'm afraid I can't help with that.  We loved the freedom having a car gave us (and the stop at Tim Horton's on the way out of town back to the ship!). When you're doing your cost analysis, remember that it's one car/tax vs 2 excursion prices. 

33 minutes ago, Tall22 said:

2 hours ago, mrp4352 said:

When you're doing your cost analysis, remember that it's one car/tax vs 2 excursion prices. 

Oh, yes, I am trying to total everything! Looking at their gas prices makes me slightly more appreciative of ours! 😆

Edited by Tall22

I found the answer to the question regarding the location of car rental agencies. There are at least two within 3 to 4 minutes walk from the port.

Edited by Tall22
  • Like 1