Shore snorkeling nearish Honolulu area in Winter

gt1701a

Are there any places that are decent to snorkel near Honolulu?  

Ideally we would like to hike Diamondhead in morning, followed by Pearl Harbor, and then snorkel somewhere somewhat close to the Honolulu area.   I looked at Hanauma Bay, but I am afraid we wouldn't get parking since we wouldn't get there first thing.

I will have a car.  Would prefer safe shore snorkeling as I will have two teens with me.  We are probably doing a snorkel boat tour in Maui, so just something from shore would be great 🙂  If Hanauma bay is really worth it, then I will try and make it after Diamondhead.  However, the price and having to make a reservation and worry about parking is very much a downside.

Since we are doing so much already and I read the North Shore waves are bad in winter, probably no snorkeling suggestions there.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by gt1701a
misspelling

You might be better off researching snorkeling websites than seeking information on CC. I've been on a couple of excursions where cruisers raved about what any experienced snorkeler would have assessed as "so-so" at best. Here are just a few links:

https://www.snorkelingdives.com/?region=Oahu

https://loveoahu.org/activities-things-to-do/snorkeling/

https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkeling-hawaii/

• Like 1

To my knowledge there are no snorkel sites near downtown Honolulu.  For that matter, the closest good beach is Ala Moana.  Hanauma Bay is an excellent choice if you can make it work.  Hiking Diamond Head is really fun and getting there at opening is the right choice.

• Like 1

I lived in Honolulu for 6 months and would go snorkeling most weekends.  Hanauma Bay was best, followed by some hidden spots on the North Shore.  But, as you say, the North Shore is too rough in winter.  Could you flip your day and snorkel after hiking Diamond Head?  This would also avoid a lot of back and forth driving as Hanauma Bay is really close to Diamond Head while Pearl Harbor is on the other side of Honolulu.

• Like 1

I believe shuttle services to Hanauma Bay have resumed so you will not need the car.

Reservations to the Bay sell out within 5 minutes, recommend you do a few practice bookings before you go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Waikiki Marine Life Conservation District, just Diamond Head of the Kapahulu groin is fine.

Hanauma Bay USED to be fine, but at $25  person while it is FREE for locals is just a thumb in the eye to visitors. I'll never go again.