Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

We just lifted the anchor and the captain came on the PA to say we need to do some technical calibrations so we will stay in the harbour and do 360s for about 40 minutes before heading out of the fjord.  As he was speaking an alarm went off in the background and he had to excuse himself to go to the bridge. He said not to worry!  The bad news is this spinning is making me seasick. The good news is I am getting very good views of the sheep.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, SenatorsFan said:

Thanks for all these beautiful pictures! 🥰I noticed the Enid Blyton books right away (yes, I read them) and also the Wimpy Kid books. 😁 What a lovely library. Those pastries look very good also.

Such a picturesque place!

I had a pastry (right middle) and it was delicious. Not too sweet and so many new-to-me flavours.

The moment the library opened kids were inside selecting their books to borrow. 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

We just lifted the anchor and the captain came on the PA to say we need to do some technical calibrations so we will stay in the harbour and do 360s for about 40 minutes before heading out of the fjord.  As he was speaking an alarm went off in the background and he had to excuse himself to go to the bridge. He said not to worry!  The bad news is this spinning is making me seasick. The good news is I am getting very good views of the sheep.

Who is your Captain?

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Rocks stacked on rocks

IMG_6180.thumb.jpeg.42579f5c2f46bf101eb6d541ccc6185a.jpeg

Loving your review, and adding a quick context note re: these stones for anyone who might visit Iceland in the future. From our time in Iceland last year, we learned these are called cairns, they were used as waypoints in ancient times, and the Icelandic people really REALLY don't want any tourists making new ones.

From what we could gather, old & historic cairns are viewed as part of the cultural fabric of the country... you'll find massive ones dating back hundreds of years around the countryside. The flip side is that new cairns are viewed as offensive trash, almost like geographic graffiti.  As an American, I was surprised, but they took it very seriously. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These are not cairns. These are stacked rocks next to the sea. Cairns are large and are used as markers for food sources or for important places.  None of these rock stacks were taller than 40cm.

Last night people must have been tired because venues were not at all full.  I had fun playing Gift of the Gab in Bliss Lounge and loved all the music, going from place to place and musician to musician. I tried to enjoy the show in Stardust. I really tried. It was a ballroom dance couple and they were more about the costumes than the moves.

I remember one of the things my dad and I both disliked about the Star was the Stardust theatre. The seats have air conditioning vents in the backs so when it’s on you’re getting cold air sent up your face and neck. There is very little leg room and there are a lot big people with big legs on this cruise so you pretty much have someone’s knee in your spleen. The worst is the sound system or the people who control it. There are two settings: way too loud and even louder. I left after 17 minutes last night when the smoke effects fogged the theatre. Fortunately Nikola was on in the Atrium!

I think I’m still recovering from my cold because I went to bed at 9:00pm last night and read my book (Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow.) It is such a gift to be in a quiet room and I will definitely sail in an oceanview again.

I woke up at 4am and watched the scenery which was steep grassy hills dotted with isolated houses.  On most Freestyle Dailies sunrise and sunset times are listed but what we have listed is: “Midnight Sun!” We docked in Ayukeyri early this morning and were quickly cleared to go ashore. 

Today our time in Akureyri is short (7-3:30) but next cruise it is 7am-7pm so today will be walkabout day and next cruise will be an excursion. Today’s two priorities? The botanical Garden and the bakery.

• Like 14

In The Star  theatre we go to the left wait for the suite section to go open seats then find a spot up there where the seats are comfy with better leg room and no Aircon.

There is the row in the middle that has extra leg room but need to be early.

• Like 1

We did this cruise on Star a year ago.  We had a blast. But the food was very substandard.  The 2 bartenders at Gatsby's were the BEST.  If Suraj, Ali or Cherryl are there, please tell them that their friends from Texas said hi!  A group of us that went were talking about the trip last night, and we all agreed it was one of the best trips ever.  And the NCL bartenders were a huge part of it. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 7:25 PM, YVRteacher said:

The fabulous waiter is Yohannes. He is from Indonesia and he doesn’t know why his parents gave him a German name. He said where he is from there are many people with Dutch or German names.

Wait! Just wait a minute! So, I'm catching up on your review, like ok there are some bumps, a few bigger than others. Then you mention Yohannes from Indonesia. Tall? Skinny? Big toothy smile? Blackish gray hair? 

He is the most wonderful person I've ever met on a cruise ship, if he's the one that used to work in Ocean Blue and the Haven Restaurant on Getaway. My husband claims I have a crush on him. I don't. He's just genuinely the kindest, most humble guy I've ever met. I hope you have him at every meal!!

• Like 5

That is a perfect description of Yohannes so it must be him! The expression about a smile stretching from ear to ear is also perfect for him. I’ll ask him if he was on the Getaway. He’s crush-worthy!! So kind, so personable! I walk through O’Sheehan’s just to say hi to him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, YVRteacher said:

That is a perfect description of Yohannes so it must be him! The expression about a smile stretching from ear to ear is also perfect for him. I’ll ask him if he was on the Getaway. He’s crush-worthy!! So kind, so personable! I walk through O’Sheehan’s just to say hi to him.

While you are checking out crew, see waht you can find out about Alvin.

4 hours ago, bstreep said:

We did this cruise on Star a year ago.  We had a blast. But the food was very substandard.  The 2 bartenders at Gatsby's were the BEST.  If Suraj, Ali or Cherryl are there, please tell them that their friends from Texas said hi!  A group of us that went were talking about the trip last night, and we all agreed it was one of the best trips ever.  And the NCL bartenders were a huge part of it. 

OMG ... yes!!! Suraj and Ali sure made the cruise memorable as we missed Greenland (July 2022).

IMG_0855.thumb.jpeg.250a01b805157057b7e372b1252ccca3.jpeg

IMG_1193.thumb.jpeg.a731aa515dcd4837e2a9770d2471ffa7.jpeg

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 8

We put together a huge "scavenger hunt" for them the last night, for a GIANT tip.  They were absolutely fantastic.  I wrote letters to the CEO and President about them.

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

OMG ... yes!!! Suraj and Ali sure made the cruise memorable as we missed Greenland (July 2022).

IMG_0610.JPG

Edited by bstreep
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, bstreep said:

There might be more than one bar server on NCL with the name of Cherryl with two R’s but there is a Cherryl on the Spirit now with that same name.  She goes above and beyond as she went from Magnum’s down a floor to Henry’s Pub to get a Matador for me.  I suspect this is the same server who did this for @YVRteacher on the Spirit for the same drink. 

Since I saw your other post about being on the Spirit soon, I hope you get to see the same Cherryl!  

• Like 1

July 25

Akureyri

It’s a three-ship day in Ayureyri: Viking Jupiter, Phoenix Amadea and us.

The tour guide for the walking tour in Reykjavik said that Iceland does not have any Indigenous people and that all Icelanders are descendants from other countries. Reykjavik was founded by a Norwegian who was banned from Norway for committing murder.

Akureyri was founded by Irish Viking Helgi Eyvindarson. He pretended to be Christian but his true God was Thor, the Norse God of Thunder. Akureyri means “Field Sand-spit.”

With a population of 18925 this bustling town relies on fishing, tourism, education and industry. There are two hospitals in Iceland and one of them is here so if you’re going to get hurt or sick this is a good place to do so.  Beer and brewing are now popular and you can enjoy a brewski at the Víking brugghús.  Where is my dad when I need him to taste test a beer??

Akureyri is located 100km from the Arctic circle and I was baptized as a Viking as part of NCL’s “get baptized as a Viking” ceremony when leaving Akureyri and crossing the Arctic circle the last time I was here in 2016.  Remember when NCL used to make videos of each cruise and play them on the last night in the theatre?  I was on the big screen in my bathing suit while sitting in a tub of ice while Assistant Cruise Director Sin (I think he got fired) poured more ice on me.  If you aren’t giggling at this image yet, put a Viking hat with horns on my head.  Everyone else wore raincoats and mittens but I decided bathing suit attire was appropriate for this austere event. Anyhow, since I’ve been to Akureyri for two days before and have done the Godafoss  falls and the craters and the lake viewpoint where I almost got blown off the cliff by the wind I didn’t need to do an extensive or expensive bus tour today.  

On my walk from the port into town I stopped at the Visitor Information Center in the Hof building to see if I needed to prebook the Forest Lagoon for August 12.  There are great (free) maps of Akureyri at the Hof building. There is also a beautifully curated selection of Icelandic-made goods in the store attached to the information centre. Highly recommend.

Akureyri has a big arts and culture scene and if you are a golfer you may enjoy the Arctic Open, the world’s only golf extravaganza that takes place under the orange skies of the midnight sun. 

If you are looking for something unique and beery and have had enough of Iceland’s geothermal baths or Goliath waterfalls, I found just the thing.  There are beer baths! You get in a human sized tub (two people can fit in one tub.) The beer in which you are soaking is hot with young beer and beer yeast and they give you a cold pint to drink while soaking in the hot hoppy swill.  Bathing suits are not recommended. You get 25 minutes in the beer tub.

Back to Akureyri and things that don’t involve naked beer soaks.  Lystigardurinn Akureyri Botanical Garden was my first stop.  It has 6600 plant species from around the world.  People wanted to prove that even this far north and with extreme temperature and light changes throughout the year plants could survive. The garden is in a park on top of a hill. I saw several cruise ship passengers from the Viking ship make it part way up the hill then quit.

LYST is the cafe at the garden.  On the menu is “cheese with stuff” and “weird tiramisu.” 

IMG_4089.thumb.png.92485f9c17fe8c38a9d83448c7105184.png

I was there early this morning and had just eaten breakfast but the food and coffees looked lovely.

I was in flower heaven at the Botanical Gardens and so were the bees. Well, the one on the left is a little wet and bedraggled but the others are happy. 

IMG_6373.thumb.jpeg.bc6758849669191b9bfc381eb1099e90.jpeg

There was a rainstorm before we arrived and the skies were still grey and a little dreary while I was walking to and in the gardens. 

IMG_6372.thumb.jpeg.e96cf495fb60c07a571a41084789b6b3.jpeg

IMG_6366.thumb.jpeg.8de9cf1cb01f2ee16188ab4f619370de.jpeg

IMG_6371.thumb.jpeg.7bbe9913a87d78128a3acf2b9f3feb67.jpeg

IMG_6370.thumb.jpeg.369368616ce20dfa5d2453ffc06e3fca.jpeg

IMG_6369.thumb.jpeg.ecea1740f80aa333cc45d84d790f8bff.jpeg

IMG_6368.thumb.jpeg.1e8f8c962b680dc5ee879f0df9a31e9f.jpeg

After completely enjoying and exploring the gardens I went to the art gallery then strolled Hafnarstraeti, the pedestrian street.  The bakery is at the end of the street and across the street from the bakery there is a hot dog kiosk with buns made from volcanic lava.  They have veggie dogs! I didn’t want a black lava bun so had a Bláberjadraumur.  Yum!

IMG_6343.thumb.jpeg.61ed0d48b48bd29fe35a21619e370e25.jpegIMG_6345.thumb.jpeg.f95b55d0917389bdd44c532045290790.jpeg

On my way back to the Star I spent an hour watching this baby seal inch its way closer and closer to the edge of the sea. Mom told it not to leave the sand.  Did it listen?? Not so much!

IMG_6390.thumb.jpeg.c7f1d0ec64f0a34d3c04f9cd08e09ea2.jpeg

Lunch was excellent today. Neither of the main dining rooms were open so the only choices were the Garden Cafe, burgers at Topsiders or O’Sheehan’s. I had noodles with vegetables and vegetable broth. Much better than Mr. Noodles! My soup had green peppers, yellow squash, cauliflower and bok choy. 

IMG_6363.thumb.jpeg.a72820cd1dc0e41d38ba8ebcca3cf241.jpeg

This morning I left the Star wearing long pants, waterproof hiking boots, a winter coat and a wool toque.  Now the sun is making the ocean sparkle and the strawberry daiquiris glisten. I really want a strawberry daiquiri! When I came to the cabin this afternoon to change into shorts I thought, “this isn’t shorts weather! This is bathing suit weather!”

I went to Spice H2O to use the hot tubs and there were families with babies in diapers in them.  So gross.  The adults only aspect of H2O isn’t enforced on this ship.  There were 4 large babyless hot tubs on the main pool deck and I spent the afternoon in the hot tubs and getting a suntan on a lounge chair. Met a family from Slovenia in the hot tub. I’m not sure, but I think there are tour groups from China, Germany, France and Slovenia on the Star.  The afternoon was glorious! It’s so beautiful here. 

IMG_6367.thumb.jpeg.f03cca67052dd957e97fcc2ff7e6c95f.jpeg

I’m writing this during sailaway. The captain said to look for whales and we saw many! Lots of breaching and fin slapping.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

July 25 part 2

So I locked my key in the room. Instead of having someone unlock the door they made me a new key. 

The drinks at the Latitudes Party were Blackberry Bourbon Smash and Blue Hawaii. They also had wine. I ordered a Painkiller. Then another.  The grapes, cheese and crackers were good. The music was loud. The room was set up for twice as many people as attended. Not one of the officers, senior managers or departments heads stayed to talk to passengers. Not one.  The Latitudes party started at 6:30 and was over at 6:50. 

You know what’s wrong with this ship? It has no heart. 

I didn’t want to drink on an empty stomach so tried to find something at the Garden Cafe that was edible.  They have all these casseroles with names like “broccoli meatball lentil mac and cheese” and “root vegetable casserole” but really they were all leftovers in a pan with cheese. I tried this “lentil patty”

IMG_6375.thumb.jpeg.861d386d96cd3bc5634f0d5548c6e8a4.jpeg

Hard pass.

The 3 V Strings did a great set in the Atrium but only 3 people were there to enjoy them. The people at Starbucks continue to smile and be the friendliest crew members on board.

Wanting something different I came to Chin Chins for dinner. At 7:15 the restaurant host was in a state of panic with drops of sweat dripping off his brow. He is gesturing to people like airport grounds crew to try to get them to eat elsewhere. I have a buzzer and a 45 minute wait.

The wait was actually only 25 minutes.

Was it worth it?

Yes!

I had a great meal and experienced great service and a willingness to accommodate a vegetarian diet. My order was the vegetable spring rolls, a small bowl of vegetable fried rice (ok, they brought a plate instead of a small bowl, but it tasted good) and the Peking Chicken Lo Mein with tofu instead of chicken. The food came out quickly, was presented nicely and was hot.  I am impressed. 

IMG_6385.thumb.jpeg.6e07005e4fad94c69d9e7d93946d4a2a.jpegIMG_6386.thumb.jpeg.a3531e02a10b3de9689f79b51d881f60.jpegIMG_6387.thumb.jpeg.b96c75004bba8909b50950d3dcf141b9.jpeg

For dessert I tried the Coconut Tapioca Pudding.

IMG_6388.thumb.jpeg.27afb04c2998343b0d83ecec6ee7edc4.jpeg

For second dessert it was the sweet sound of Nikola doing his tribute to Elvis. The Atrium was packed and the tables in O’Sheehan’s lining the ledge overlooking the Atrium were also full. Great set! His closing number was It’s Now or Never-

in Italian! People were shouting “Bravo, Bravo!”

IMG_6389.thumb.jpeg.b8f0a0f29313fd615b48d30bd22cfdaf.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1