Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

You asked about my favorite stop. I love Akureyri. I see you mentioned revisiting the botanical gardens there. Always worthwhile IMHO. We took a private waterfall tour while we there this time. Another time in Akureyri we went to the public swimming pools (near the botanical garden). The public pools are huge and amazing. The hot tub (size of a small swimming pool) was hot and the jets were strong. The woman at the pool desk showed me on her computer map where the hot water is pumped in from.  

you mentioned ponies..we were quite firmly told, do not call them Icelandic ponies, they are are Icelandic horses. There are very strict rules about Icelandic horses. If they are shipped off the island, they can never return. 

Nuuk was an interesting stop. We did a ship excursion to visit a local family. An older, widowed lady hosted a small group in her home. Her son came over to assist her. She offered us a tasty snack. It was good to talk with some local people. Also, the museum in Nuuk is great. It is well curated and a don’t miss it you like museums. 

Reykjavik is very interesting, but on this latest cruise we only embarked and debarked there. We didn’t really spend any time there in this sailing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Please be kind when posting in my threads. My dad has dementia and we are both doing the best we can. 

No offense meant at all. Note the smiley face. I've told you a number of times that I love your dad, since he reminds me so much of myself. Your last live report mentioned "grumpiness"...I was just trying to inject a little humor. Looks like I failed. Sorry about that. My apologies.

• Like 9

@Happy fool you are so fortunate to have stopped in Greenland! Thank you for the recommendation of the public pool in Akureyri.  I think I’ll go there.

I will make sure I don’t call a horse a pony!  Would not want to offend the Icelandic horses and their people!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, quack2 said:

Happy to see that I have another trip report to follow.  Your's are very entertaining and informative.

Thank you! I love writing these live trip reports. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Since you won't be buying any drinks, should we expect more or less sarcasm and grumpiness?

Same amount of sarcasm, way less grumpiness since my dad isn’t traveling with me.

There will be plenty of free drinks on board. Sail and Sustain twice, Wines Around the World twice, two latitudes parties, perhaps a couple of cocktail parties and of course the free “champagne” that will be in the cabin upon arrival. I never drink that stuff and doubt this time will be different.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am at the airport. Everything I need for 26 days is in these bags.

IMG_5754.thumb.jpeg.beee40d58d0b4997197f9d89fa2b4835.jpeg

There was a long, slow line up at the Icelandair counter, the business class ticket fast-tracked me through security and now I’m in the airport lounge with a plate of raw veggies, mashed potatoes and two mini cupcakes. Most of the lounge food has meat.  Fortunately I love mashed potatoes. 

• Like 21

Prayers for your safe travels.

Curious to know who the Senior Officers are?  Have not seen anything posted about The Star in several months.  Wonder if Hasan or Monica sent any messages to The Star??

BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers as always

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I won’t be buying any drinks! 

Can we quote you on that? How could you be on a ship for that long with all those delicious cocktails available and not indulge at least once? If you can you’re a much stronger girl than me!!!!🤦‍♀️

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Sorry about that! I have several posts written but haven’t posted yet. Someone was really unkind about my grammar and it just put me off from sharing more. 
My dad and I live in two different cities so needed two taxis! We really loved the Spirit and I would sail on her again without hesitation.

Yvonne, I’m sorry you were put off by the grammar post. I did see it and would have felt the same had it been sent to me. We all enjoy your posts so much, don’t let one comment put you off! You have a real talent for writing.
One of these days I’ll put on my big girl pants and do a Live report but I don’t think I could do anything as interesting as yours! 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Sorry about that! I have several posts written but haven’t posted yet. Someone was really unkind about my grammar and it just put me off from sharing more. 
My dad and I live in two different cities so needed two taxis! We really loved the Spirit and I would sail on her again 

Tell us who so we can hope all their future cruise food is lukewarm at best! 😅 I'm excited for this cruise but still looking forward to a final wrap up of the last one. Hope your dad is well. We'll miss him!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

Yvonne, I’m sorry you were put off by the grammar post. I did see it and would have felt the same had it been sent to me. We all enjoy your posts so much, don’t let one comment put you off! You have a real talent for writing.
One of these days I’ll put on my big girl pants and do a Live report but I don’t think I could do anything as interesting as yours! 

Thank you, LauraAnne!  I would love to read any trip report you write!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

Can we quote you on that? How could you be on a ship for that long with all those delicious cocktails available and not indulge at least once? If you can you’re a much stronger girl than me!!!!🤦‍♀️

Right after I wrote that, I thought, “but what about a chocolate martini????”

I may regret my no drink plan, but we drank A LOT on the Spirit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

Tell us who so we can hope all their future cruise food is lukewarm at best! 😅 I'm excited for this cruise but still looking forward to a final wrap up of the last one. Hope your dad is well. We'll miss him!

Dad is doing great! I just called him from the plane. He went on the bus trip with his residence today and bought himself a doughnut. 

I will still post in the other thread! Really appreciate all the kindness and support.

• Like 11

Just now, YVRteacher said:

Right after I wrote that, I thought, “but what about a chocolate martini????”

I may regret my no drink plan, but we drank A LOT on the Spirit.

That’s funny because I thought of the chocolate martini too! I only allowed myself one on my last cruise - I’m assuming it’s loaded in calories. But then if you add up all the other cocktails I had it probably wouldn’t have made much difference!! Probably just as well they don’t put the calories on the drinks menus! 😱

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, fla33023 said:

Re: lukewarm food

The Spirit wins for hot food on NCL!!! My dad is picky about his food being hot (I do not care) but it sure was great to see him so happy with his hot food. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

@www3traveler I always feel like I’m traveling with a friend when you send such caring messages.  Thank you for being such a kind person on these boards, Mandy.

I don’t know why but I feel like both you and Mandy are my new travel buddies. I really like sassy people who are also kind. Getting my snacks ready to follow along on your Iceland adventure. Mary

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, LauraAnneC said:

I did see that post, and now it’s gone. 

@YVRteacher safe flight to Keflavik. Icelandair Saga class is lovely 😉. Upon arrival in Keflavik you can buy booze duty free upon exit … you can buy a few bottles of wine there to take on ship and pay $15 corkage fee … wait … you don’t drink wine ….

looking forward to reading more!!!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Fruitpunch76 said:

The tour is called "Reindeer feeding and Sami cultural experience"...I think it might be great to get so close to the reindeers.

that would be a good tour! Warning: do not ask the Sami ppl how many reindeer they have … it’s like asking them how much money they have. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1