Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

I am at the airport. Everything I need for 26 days is in these bags.

IMG_5754.thumb.jpeg.beee40d58d0b4997197f9d89fa2b4835.jpeg

There was a long, slow line up at the Icelandair counter, the business class ticket fast-tracked me through security and now I’m in the airport lounge with a plate of raw veggies, mashed potatoes and two mini cupcakes. Most of the lounge food has meat.  Fortunately I love mashed potatoes. 

I just finished reading your AK trip report and stumbled across this one 🙂 I'm so excited to follow you on another journey!!!!!!!

• Like 3

Very excited to read this. I did the Star last year Iceland to Greenland and got downgraded from balcony to ocean view mid cruise when I got Covid. Definitely want to visit again some day. 

Also I found last week on clearance at target bubble powder. It comes in little packets with wands and a bottle to reconstitute in. The version I bought will replace 10 bottles of bubbles. Tentatively planning on doing carryon only for my 14 day cruise this fall and will get to bring bubbles still. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Sorry about that! I have several posts written but haven’t posted yet. Someone was really unkind about my grammar and it just put me off from sharing more. 
My dad and I live in two different cities so needed two taxis! We really loved the Spirit and I would sail on her again without hesitation.

I’m glad I missed someone saying something about your grammar, I love reading your reviews and seek them out

just got off a cruise Bergen to Reykjavík, beautiful scenery but you probably know that

we did see reindeer on the way to North Cape (an excursion)

enjoy!

• Like 2

Love another to follow.

We liked the Star on our round Ireland.

The layout is good, food was fine we especially like the new aft H2O as it works well even on colder cruises.

Great aft views under cover.

We tended to end up in Bliss where the band was.

Not sure if it is typical Star I think on our trip the no drinks issue in May put management into hiding and caused a lot of lines at guest relations.

Dulled the atmosphere with lots of not happy punters.

I have been trying to fit one of these Star trips into our schedules but just not working.

Going to be fun to know what we are missing.

We tried 2 no drinks package cruises last year and they worked fine both came under the cost of the package.

We(2) spent £400 over 12n on both.

package on one was  £600

These were not NCL trips.

NCL package is really cheap, needs dedicated no drink to make it work.

Can still add it to the second leg.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I am at the airport. Everything I need for 26 days is in these bags.

IMG_5754.thumb.jpeg.beee40d58d0b4997197f9d89fa2b4835.jpeg

There was a long, slow line up at the Icelandair counter, the business class ticket fast-tracked me through security and now I’m in the airport lounge with a plate of raw veggies, mashed potatoes and two mini cupcakes. Most of the lounge food has meat.  Fortunately I love mashed potatoes. 

A woman after my own heart.  If you need multiple large bags for your cruise, you’re doing it wrong.

You, young lady, are doing it right!!!!!!  IMHO!!!!!! 😉

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

A woman after my own heart.  If you need multiple large bags for your cruise, you’re doing it wrong.

It’s my goal to use cabin baggage only for my next cruise. Don’t know if I’ll make it though! 

• Like 2

I am so happy to be following along on another of your cruises.  My cruise is over and normally would not be on cruise critic until I have another one planned, but I find myself still coming on every day to read about your adventures.  Have a wonderful time and safe travels!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

If you need multiple large bags for your cruise, you’re doing it wrong.

My wife does it wrong... oh so wrong... (I'm worried for this one, because our last trip we had the DOS which has that walk-in closet. Now we're 'slumming' it in a 2-bedroom and she'll have to fit the luggage under the bed. (I think)

Edited by Grimix
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Grimix said:

My wife does it wrong... oh so wrong... (I'm worried for this one, because our last trip we had the DOS which has that walk-in closet. Now we're 'slumming' it in a 2-bedroom and she'll have to fit the luggage under the bed. (I think)

OH....I get it.  I've been traveling solo recently.  But, when I had a SO, she felt it necessary to take 9/10s of every piece of clothing she owned "just in case" the weather suspiciously turned from arctic to tropical in less than an hour.

Then, there was the fact that the cabin's hair dryer didn't provide hurricane force hot air to dry her hair.  So, she had to bring the one she had at home that mimicked a long gun.  Of course there were the gallons of creams, serums, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, etc.

Not a problem except I was the one who drug all the suitcases.  She had 2 large suitcases, a back pack, and her purse, which could double as a back pack.

Mine?  A roll aboard and a backpack that fit over the handle of the rollaboard.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

I can only speak for myself, but I saw this topic and thought, "Oh good! Another @YVRteacher review!"

Your reviews are top-tier: they've got good vibes, good insights, and a lot of heart. What more can you ask for?

Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to bring us along. Hope you have a wonderful cruise aboard the Star.

• Like 13

I also missed the comment about incorrect grammar.   I think your trip reports are the best on Cruise Critic and we are all fortunate that you take the time to share your experiences with and without your dad.     My husband and I would not be on the Jewel next month if it was not for you and your reports.   As a thank you, I would love to somehow buy you a chocolate martini.

Again, have a wonderful time and looking forward to reading all about it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 12:35 AM, lepidoptera said:

Very excited to read this. I did the Star last year Iceland to Greenland and got downgraded from balcony to ocean view mid cruise when I got Covid. Definitely want to visit again some day. 

Also I found last week on clearance at target bubble powder. It comes in little packets with wands and a bottle to reconstitute in. The version I bought will replace 10 bottles of bubbles. Tentatively planning on doing carryon only for my 14 day cruise this fall and will get to bring bubbles still. 

*makes note to self to google bubble powder!!!!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Young lady is so much better than “ma’am!”

The items that took up the most space in my luggage were the hiking boots. I better find a muddy trail and put them to good use!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, LauraAnneC said:

It’s my goal to use cabin baggage only for my next cruise. Don’t know if I’ll make it though! 

You can do it! Packing cubes help. The system I use (Briggs and Riley) is genius. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

I am so happy to be following along on another of your cruises.  My cruise is over and normally would not be on cruise critic until I have another one planned, but I find myself still coming on every day to read about your adventures.  Have a wonderful time and safe travels!!

I love what you wrote-thank you! Where was the cruise you just took?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grimix said:

If it helps, there are two closets in the two bedroom suites. Maybe don’t tell her that, though!

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, dcipjr said:

I can only speak for myself, but I saw this topic and thought, "Oh good! Another @YVRteacher review!"

Your reviews are top-tier: they've got good vibes, good insights, and a lot of heart. What more can you ask for?

Thank you for taking time out of your vacation to bring us along. Hope you have a wonderful cruise aboard the Star.

Thank you so much! I’m so excited to board the Star tomorrow.

• Like 2