Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from YVRteacher! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

YVRteacher was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

I booked this solo cruise as part of the NCL Memorial Day sale.  We don’t have Memorial Day in Canada but we still received the deals.  What was initially a very inexpensive cruise began to look like a very expensive cruise when I started to research shore excursions. This started my deep dive exploring private excursions and self-guided walking tours then prioritizing which thermal baths, mountaintop gondolas and wildlife tours to take. I set myself a budget then unexpectedly received a big tax refund from an audit Canada Revenue did of my 2021 taxes. That increased my shore excursion budget and a walrus safari was scheduled!

Being a cruise addict, I read everything I could find about cruises to Iceland, Norway, Denmark and the Shetland Islands.  The chances of ports changing or being cancelled are likely so I am approaching the itineraries as plans not promises.  At the time I booked Greenland had already been removed from the itinerary. No single port is a bucket list port although I will be disappointed if the walrus safari doesn’t happen. I have been to Iceland, Norway, Denmark and the Shetland Islands before (all on NCL) and am excited for the new ports.

The NCL Star is my least favourite NCL ship and after a Spring Break cruise in March 2019 I said I wouldn’t sail on her again. I broke my own promise for four reasons:

1. 1.  amazing itineraries 
  2. 2.  I read a balanced review here on CC and the writer said the Star no longer smelled like sewage
  3. 3.  One day I’d like to cruise to South America and the Star is the ship doing this itinerary.  Perhaps the experience this summer will be positive and I will consider booking the Star for a southern hemisphere adventure.
  4. 4.  I’m a teacher with 9 weeks summer vacation.  Why not travel?

Initially I booked back to back in the same inside cabin. I kept telling the NCL rep on the phone that this was a triple points special and that I could see this on NCL’s site.  She kept saying it was two points but what she wasn’t telling me was that she was booking a Sailaway rate without the Free at Sea. When the confirmation came through I quickly phoned back to remedy this situation. I also switched to an Oceanview for the same price as an Inside (knowing I had a Diamond Upgrade to use.) As soon as I hung up from that phone call, I got an email from the Access desk explaining how to use my wheelchair.

I called back to explain I didn’t have or need a wheelchair and found out I had been booked in an accessible cabin.  I said I don’t want to take an accessible cabin because someone might need it but the NCL booking agent said that was the only oceanview available for both weeks.  I explained that I didn’t need to be booked in the same cabin since I would be using the upgrade for the second cruise but they still didn’t want to move me.  I’m excited to try an oceanview because this means I will have stayed in a studio, inside, oceanview, balcony, club balcony, 2 bedroom penthouse, HS on the Spirit and a forward facing penthouse suite. 

I didn’t write about this in detail but back in March when I first tried to use the Diamond upgrade NCL goofed.  They said yes then I didn’t hear anything.  I phoned and phoned and phoned and kept getting told different lies. What it boils down to is the time I was booking was also the time upgrade offers were being emailed.  On the day I called to request the upgrade NCL had lots of cabins available. It took them so long to get to my request that by the time they did all the cabin options were taken.  I did have a case number and the resolutions desk gave me onboard credit.  

This time I was told I would hear about the upgrade in 72 hours.  After 72 hours I called and they said the 72 hours starts on the next business day.  I called back the next day and the person could see the request but couldn’t assign a room.  I called back the next day and the day after that.  I was told they are busy and it could take a week.  I explained on each of my SEVEN phone calls what had happened back in March and I didn’t want a repeat of that situation. The people answering the phones at the Diamond Upgrade number have absolutely no power or ability to actually assign the cabin. NCL could save a lot of money by allowing them to book people into cabins.  I spent over 5 hours on hold with 7 different people in those 7 phone calls while they spoke with supervisors and reservations agents.  NCL is paying these people but not giving them agency to make decisions.

Note: every person was kind, polite and understanding.  I was also kind and polite.  I will never raise my voice to someone who is not responsible for a problem.  Anyhow, on day 8 I received the upgrade email and will be spending the second cruise of this back to back adventure in a balcony cabin.  The first cruise is 12 days and the second is 11 but I didn’t want to go from a balcony to an oceanview.  All that said what I know to be true is the cabin I’m in does not impact the fun I’m having on a cruise.  A cruise is what you make of it.  It’s just more fun to blow bubbles off a balcony than it is to blow bubbles inside the shower in a studio.  Not that I’ve tried that.  Did I pack bubbles for this trip? Sadly, no.  

With carry on only luggage I can’t take liquids on the plane. If anyone knows where to buy bubbles in Reykjavik please let me know!

This is my summer of NCL: today I returned from 14 days on board the NCL Spirit. This afternoon I called NCL and removed the beverage package from both cruises on the Star. My body does not need or want another 23 days of drinking. This saved me almost $700. Now I can buy a pair of mittens in Iceland!

Yes, there is a volcano erupting in Iceland. Here is the statement from Icelandair’s website

IMG_5741.thumb.png.2f085eaa34a76630780548bc0ac20f26.png

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 16

Knowing that weather, a hangnail or a rogue feather on the bow could cause NCL to change course at any moment, this represents Plan A.  
IMG_5747.thumb.jpeg.4f158124eda64417a485d871cff7b35c.jpeg

I am fully prepared for some Plan Bs to occur. Initially I made a large calendar planner to support my dad but I’ve come to rely on them so much I think I will always make one for a cruise. 

Some people approach cruises as bucket list opportunities but my feeling is that if your dream is big enough to be on your bucket list, a cruise may not be the best choice since there is a so much you can’t control with itineraries.  My wishes for this trip are to:

• -see reindeer, walrus, sheep and ponies. I would especially like to see those ponies that look like Fabio with their long locks blowing in the breeze.
  • -try a Norwegian waffle on top of a mountain 
  • -raise a glass of northerly whisky 
  • -browse and pretend to understand a contemporary art gallery 
  • -bask in a quagmire of human skin slough in a geothermal hotspring 
  • -photograph the midnight sun
  • -buy a woollen hat, socks and mittens
  • -choose one museum to traipse through on purpose 
  • -chill out in an Ice Bar (this is ironic because I am not a chill kind of person)
  • -soar up high in a cable car
  • -photograph a town with colourful houses
  • -sit around a campfire
  • -attend a concert
  • -touch all 34 eggs in Eggin
  • -get sprayed by a waterfall
  • -return to the botanical garden in Akureyri
  • -buy my dad some Penguin biscuits

Our concierge on the Spirit just transferred from the Star to the Spirit. She boarded the Spirit in Vancouver the same day we did. When I asked her about her favourite ports and favourite experiences on the Star’s itinerary she replied, “nothing! There is nothing to do.”

Hmmm.

I’m excited to explore the fishing villages, learn about the history, experience the art and music, take photos of little things that bring me joy, walk through harbours and along beaches, breathe clean, cool air, bathe in geothermal hot springs, get blown about by the wind and be away from the heatwave in Vancouver.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like your old concierge was not one for nature. Having followed along some of your other threads I am sure you will love most of the ports.

It's a fantastic looking itinerary!

• Like 1

Love your reviews.

Have an amazing time. I hope you manage to tick off everything on your list.

Im from the Uk originally but have lived in Turkey for 21 years. My daughter & I just got back last week from the Uk. (We hadn’t visited for 9 years)

We ate a penguin biscuit.

• Like 1

WOW!!👍🏻😊😉 This looks like an amazing plan!👍

I am personally sooo happy to see this because I am a teacher as well and I always prepare the same kind of "poster sized schedules"😃 and putting them on the cabin wall with magnets.

My boyfriend always says "You are soooooo much a teacher!"☺️(Of course he is lucky that someone is making great plans for the vacation...)

Anyway, Yvonne, I can't wait to read about your cruise starting on Sunday...We will join you on August 4 in Tromso.

By the way I found out that GetYourGuide offers a 4 hours excursion in Tromso that is called "Feeding reindeers". I really wanted to do that as I love all kinds of excursions where you can see or touch animals. But....finally I did not dare to book it as there "is no real toilet stop because the forest is the toilet"😜 That was a bit tooo outdoorsy for me.....

Happy Sailing

Sue

image.jpeg.42aaa3a754f7bad1e794ca37528ed306.jpeg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

I sure am glad you are about to start another cruise.  I was totally unaware that your time on the Spirit was over, and was caught unaware when I read that you took two taxis in different directions!  Hope you have a great trip!

She had a great trip.  At the end of the cruise, she put Dad in one cab and sent him on his way home and then took a second cab to her place.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

I sure am glad you are about to start another cruise.  I was totally unaware that your time on the Spirit was over, and was caught unaware when I read that you took two taxis in different directions!  Hope you have a great trip!

Sorry about that! I have several posts written but haven’t posted yet. Someone was really unkind about my grammar and it just put me off from sharing more. 
My dad and I live in two different cities so needed two taxis! We really loved the Spirit and I would sail on her again without hesitation.

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Happy fool said:

Look forward to your postings about this adventure. We recently sailed on the Star…Iceland/Greenland, so I want to hear your impressions. 

Do you have any recommendations for ports? What ones were your favourites?

19 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'll miss your dad's pithy responses. No, I did not misspell pissy...or maybe I did. 😁

Please be kind when posting in my threads. My dad has dementia and we are both doing the best we can. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Sorry about that! I have several posts written but haven’t posted yet. Someone was really unkind about my grammar and it just put me off from sharing more. 
My dad and I live in two different cities so needed two taxis! We really loved the Spirit and I would sail on her again without hesitation.

I can’t imagine what someone said about your grammar.  Sorry that happened to you.  I hope you’ll continue to share, as there are many more of us that thoroughly enjoy your writings than the very few who seem to have issues with everything.

• Like 13