Live from the NCL Star July 23-August 15, 2023. Will I survive 23 days without the beverage package?

YVRteacher

23 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Will the Bliss and the Jewel be in any ports on the same day?

I have not looked yet but I will.

What are the dates for your Breakaway cruise out of New Orleans?  I have a friend who is The Breakaway's General Manager.  He is leaving for his vacation in a few hours signing back on the 13 of October.  That would put his next vacation probably the 17th of March.

Instead of a harsh red circle on their traffic lights, 

residents and tourists in Akureyri get an oxytocin boost when the light turns red and a lovely heart pulses with cheer. The idea to create hearts in the traffic lights was part of the Brostu Med Hjartanu campaign which means Smile With Your Heart. This movement was started after the financial crisis in 2008 when people were reporting stronger than ever feelings of doom and despair. The hearts are intended to raise morale and remind people to take a moment to smile even when times are hard. 
IMG_9183.thumb.jpeg.97f068e848f66fce15244cb622d00534.jpeg

IMG_9185.thumb.jpeg.7cb939454b5bedc4aae3e7620b320ef8.jpeg

I love you, Iceland!

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

I have not! My Dad is actually from Scotland, and I have never been (my Mom wouldn’t allow him to take us). A couple of times I have started talking about going, but then it has turned into a thing with other people wanting go and then planning becoming impossible. If I get to go to on the textile tour I figure it is a good reason to not allow anyone else to try and barge in. Shetland knitting, especially lace it one of my passions. This is the lace shawl I knit for my sister for her wedding. 

4BF6D088-C8C3-461F-80FA-27F74CCDDD27.jpeg

• Like 18

I absolutely love all your pictures, especially of Norway.  Hubby and I just returned from a 10 day self driving tour of Iceland (saw all the the places you had a port stop in) and am planning a self drive tour of Norway.  We love cruising (have 4 planned between now and the end of 2024), but also love driving tours.

Edited by slavetoabunny
typo
  • Like 3

Last night’s dinner in Versailles:

Wine: Shades of Blue Riesling free bottle with the Latitudes meal that I redeemed in Teppanyaki 

IMG_9187.thumb.jpeg.b11841df60afb7d7b67bf450734f6849.jpeg

Appetizer= bruschetta. Do you see what I see on that basil garnish?

IMG_9188.thumb.jpeg.e1181076c1fbf86d27929003618cf818.jpeg

IMG_9189.thumb.jpeg.ad44234c6f1b7fb2c7478097c8b3c71e.jpeg

Main course= vegetables that were listed on various entrees, the appetizer of asparagus and artichoke risotto, grilled tofu. That risotto was excellent. This was my favourite entree on the whole cruise.

IMG_9191.thumb.jpeg.ea858c4da7e0b9968f12c174daf72bf6.jpeg

Dessert=pear and apple crumble. Not good. Really quite bad, actually. It had lines of gelatinous glop mixed with way too dense crumble. I had one bite. For me not to eat dessert, you know it’s bad.

IMG_9196.thumb.jpeg.d8f66f79117c87536f4d3d023159ac28.jpeg

IMG_9198.thumb.jpeg.e03fb208794544d62fd0034c010b893a.jpeg

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, lepidoptera said:

I have not! My Dad is actually from Scotland, and I have never been (my Mom wouldn’t allow him to take us). A couple of times I have started talking about going, but then it has turned into a thing with other people wanting go and then planning becoming impossible. If I get to go to on the textile tour I figure it is a good reason to not allow anyone else to try and barge in. Shetland knitting, especially lace it one of my passions. This is the lace shawl I knit for my sister for her wedding. 

4BF6D088-C8C3-461F-80FA-27F74CCDDD27.jpeg

You are incredibly talented! What a special gift of love and skill for your sister! 

I remember being in Orkney and seeing the lace there. Please let us know when you hear if you will be doing the textile tour.

22 minutes ago, slavetoabunny said:

I absolutely love all your pictures, especially of Norway.  Hubby and I just returned from a 10 day self driving tour of Iceland (saw all the the places you had a port stop in) and am planning a self drive tour of Norway.  We love cruising (have 4 planned between now and the end of 2024), but also love driving tours.

If I was doing a driving tour of Iceland or Norway I wouldn’t get very far each day as I would be stopping every few metres to take photos of sheep, reindeer, mountains, rocks, flowers, houses, lichen, trolls, volcanoes, waterfalls, bogs and bog wool plus I would stop at every grocery store for chocolate covered liquorice and salty liquorice. Did you have that problem??🤣

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, YVRteacher said:

If I was doing a driving tour of Iceland or Norway I wouldn’t get very far each day as I would be stopping every few metres to take photos of sheep, reindeer, mountains, rocks, flowers, houses, lichen, trolls, volcanoes, waterfalls, bogs and big wool plus I would stop at every grocery store for chocolate covered liquorice and salty liquorice. Did you have that problem??🤣

Uh, yeah.......my hubby is a photographer.  He took over 5,000 pictures and is still editing them. He was so busy taking photos that we didn't have time to stop at grocery stores.  I was graciously given 2 hours to shop for gifts on our last day in Reykjavik.

• Haha 6

12 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Will the Bliss and the Jewel be in any ports on the same day?

I have not looked yet but I will.

What are the dates for your Breakaway cruise out of New Orleans?  I have a friend who is The Breakaway's General Manager.  He is leaving for his vacation in a few hours signing back on the 13 of October.  That would put his next vacation probably the 17th of March.

My email address is:  mandychurch_65@yahoo.com   I have something I want to share with you when you have time once you finally get and can get a chance to see Dad.

Of course, I pray for your safe journey home.

Thank you again for all the wonderful pictures and commentary.

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always,

Mandy

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 7:46 PM, YVRteacher said:

All good, plus Yohannes was my server. @cruiseny4life did you know he has a wife and a 5 year old son?

I miss so much when I am away for the weekend! I did not know. He did introduce us to a server who he was related to (maybe a cousin, I forgot, because I'm a terrible rememberer). If I ever see him, I will remember this though. Thank you for sharing!!

On 8/12/2023 at 8:06 PM, YVRteacher said:

IMG_9132.thumb.jpeg.a6b6f63408d058e65f67222c502fdabf.jpeg

It's nice to see a sauna kept at the correct temperature. I had to laugh at your cheeks comment. I was like, which ones? All of mine get terrible toasty when I enter a sauna. The only thing I can't really tolerate is when my nose hairs start to tingle. It's like when they freeze. An awful feeling! Just on fire instead of cold.

Your dip in the geothermals looks so pleasant and reminds me of when I lived in Yellowstone. We ventured throughout Montana to soak ourselves in the geothermal waters (where it was legal). What a beautiful setting you had for wonderful relaxation. 

Have a lovely last day onboard! 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

When is your next cruise? I'm already gloomy at the thought of this one ending. I don't suppose you'd consider a world cruise - you know, a selfless act of generosity for your fans! 🙂

Can we start a Go Fund Me page for that?😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

16 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Instead of a harsh red circle on their traffic lights, 

residents and tourists in Akureyri get an oxytocin boost when the light turns red and a lovely heart pulses with cheer. 

Little known fact: Diana Ross wrote "Stop in the Name of Love" after a visit to Iceland and seeing the stoplights. 

Okay...not really. But it's raining and I'm bored.

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

3 hours ago, Muckyduckway said:

When is your next cruise? I'm already gloomy at the thought of this one ending. I don't suppose you'd consider a world cruise - you know, a selfless act of generosity for your fans! 🙂

Agreed.  She kept us entertained for almost her entire summer break.  I'm ready for her to retire and travel full time.

• Like 8

On 8/12/2023 at 8:39 PM, YVRteacher said:

the story of a souvenir I didn’t buy and really regretted it, the story of a cruise ship photo, the best dinner I’ve had on board, more about the Broadway Cabaret than you likely want to know

You're such a tease!   🤣 

I'm sure I'm not the only one on tenterhooks awaiting the answers to these fascinating questions.  What tantalizing revelations are we in for?

PS  I will be so sorry when this trip is over... it's been a wonderful read and has me hankering to go to all the places you've been and eat tons of cake... and I hardly ever eat cake/dessert so that's saying a whole lot.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lgdesign said:

You're such a tease!   🤣 

I'm sure I'm not the only one on tenterhooks awaiting the answers to these fascinating questions.  What tantalizing revelations are we in for?

PS  I will be so sorry when this trip is over... it's been a wonderful read and has me hankering to go to all the places you've been and eat tons of cake... and I hardly ever eat cake/dessert so that's saying a whole lot.

I know! Sorry! I have been so busy savouring every minute in these incredible last few ports then having dinners that linger late into the evening with new friends and just having so much fun with @TrumpyNor and @Norwegianprincess that I haven’t had time to write!

This is the saddest I have ever been that a cruise is ending. This morning I stepped off the tender boat in Grundarfjordur, walked up the ramp, walked the few steps into town, turned to face the sea and my eyes welled up with tears.

• Like 15

Hi Sweetie,

I am so happy that there have been bright spots for you on this adventure.

I am that you have a very uneventful journey home.

Are you going to pay excess baggage fees for your overweight luggage filled with good things to eat for Dad?

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG HUG

Love and prayers always

8 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I know! Sorry! I have been so busy savouring every minute in these incredible last few ports then having dinners that linger late into the evening with new friends and just having so much fun with @TrumpyNor and @Norwegianprincess that I haven’t had time to write!

This is the saddest I have ever been that a cruise is ending. This morning I stepped off the tender boat in Grundarfjordur, walked up the ramp, walked the few steps into town, turned to face the sea and my eyes welled up with tears.

I figured as much and was hoping that was the reason for any delays.  More important for you to savor and digest every last moment... 

• Like 2