Shorts at breakfast in the MDR

Davio40

I know how strict SAGA seems to be with dress code (they really do need to relax it) but can you wear shorts and a t-shirt to breakfast in the main dining room or do we need to be trussed up for that as well?

31 minutes ago, Davio40 said:

I know how strict SAGA seems to be with dress code (they really do need to relax it) but can you wear shorts and a t-shirt to breakfast in the main dining room or do we need to be trussed up for that as well?

What would you like to change bearing in mind people chose Saga because it suits them  otherwise they'd sail with another lines? They have relaxed over the years . Not far enough I guess for yourself but it's best to look at dress codes of any cruise lines and accept it! 

• Like 1

Shorts and Tee shirt at breakfast or lunch are completely acceptable within the Saga dress code. 

However they are not acceptable at dinner or anywhere in the evening, and that should not be relaxed.

I think the current Saga dress code is well balanced. With Smart attire most nights,  coupled with occasional formal attire. I think Saga passengers support this level of dress and like the occasional formal night. They would not like to see Tee shirts , jeans or shorts at dinner. They like it that people make an effort to be smart at dinner.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Norfolksaver said:

We are going on our first Saga cruise in a few weeks, can someone tell me if short sleeved shirts are acceptable in the MDR in the evenings.

Yes, definitely - apart from formal nights I always wear short sleeved shirts in the evening. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Shorts and Tee shirt at breakfast or lunch are completely acceptable within the Saga dress code. 

However they are not acceptable at dinner or anywhere in the evening, and that should not be relaxed.

I think the current Saga dress code is well balanced. With Smart attire most nights,  coupled with occasional formal attire. I think Saga passengers support this level of dress and like the occasional formal night. They would not like to see Tee shirts , jeans or shorts at dinner. They like it that people make an effort to be smart at dinner.

I wouldn't wear t-shirts or shorts at dinner but see no problem with designer jeans and a jacket which I often wear to dinner either at home or on the usual cruise lines on which we travel i.e. Azamara, Oceania and Silversea - resort casual/smart casual at dinner is perfectly acceptable. Shorts and t-shirts for breakfast and/or lunch should not be an issue for any cruise line, Saga included. I am sure that over time as the next generation of cruisers come along i.e. my age group (late 50s/early 60s) Saga will probably do away with the formal night dress code and the no jeans after 6pm rule, as the demographic will change and most cruisers would have experienced the more relaxed yet smart casual feel of the other lines and would want Saga to follow to suit. Saga will in time need to adapt in order to remain competitive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davio40 said:

I wouldn't wear t-shirts or shorts at dinner but see no problem with designer jeans and a jacket which I often wear to dinner either at home or on the usual cruise lines on which we travel i.e. Azamara, Oceania and Silversea - resort casual/smart casual at dinner is perfectly acceptable. Shorts and t-shirts for breakfast and/or lunch should not be an issue for any cruise line, Saga included. I am sure that over time as the next generation of cruisers come along i.e. my age group (late 50s/early 60s) Saga will probably do away with the formal night dress code and the no jeans after 6pm rule, as the demographic will change and most cruisers would have experienced the more relaxed yet smart casual feel of the other lines and would want Saga to follow to suit. Saga will in time need to adapt in order to remain competitive.

The problem with any relaxation of Dress Code is that the interpretation becomes wider & then you end up with the customers wearing jogging bottoms & Football shirts or "just in from the allotment" in MDR's as seen on other Cruise Lines. No thanks, keep the policy Saga it one of the things I like about you!.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Davio40 said:

My daughter late 40' s comes now and again and she loves everything about Saga. My friends are in their early 60's love Saga's dress code. So don't hold your breath as youngsters do like dressing up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FatBoy20 said:

The problem with any relaxation of Dress Code is that the interpretation becomes wider & then you end up with the customers wearing jogging bottoms & Football shirts or "just in from the allotment" in MDR's as seen on other Cruise Lines. No thanks, keep the policy Saga it one of the things I like about you!.

You would probably get that on the cheaper brands like TUI, Carnival, P&O, RC etc. but I doubt you'd get jogging bottoms and football shirts (and I have never seen it) on Azamara, Oceania and Silversea. 

1 hour ago, JoJo1947 said:

My daughter late 40' s comes now and again and she loves everything about Saga. My friends are in their early 60's love Saga's dress code. So don't hold your breath as youngsters do like dressing up. 

Well, we are only doing Saga this time as my elderly parents wanted an easy cruise i.e. door pickup/drop-off, no flying, cheaper insurance etc. It is for their benefit as I would not ordinarily pick a Saga cruise as very happy with Azamara, Oceania and Silversea. 

The Saga dress code used to be over-complex, with three different designated days: casual, smart casual, and formal, and different requirements for each.

To me, the current arrangements are spot-on, and this does seem to be the general view. I particularly like the formal evenings and feel that formal dinners become special occasions, rather than just another meal. 

Perhaps younger generations will demand that Saga changes its views, but I hope that that will happen only after my cruising days have come to an end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

Perhaps younger generations will demand that Saga changes its views, but I hope that that will happen only after my cruising days have come to an end.

Very much agree.

We're frequently in central London for the theatre and it's very noticeable that the younger generation really do want to have the chance to dress up, look fantastic and make the most of an occasion.

So there may well be a very different attitude between the new 50s something and the generation following.

And so we also hope that SAGA's policy does allow those folk who enjoy the sense of occasion to enjoy the experience... the situation now that folk can have a formal Gala dinner of the same menu in the Grill seems to be an excellent compromise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Davio40 said:

Well, we are only doing Saga this time as my elderly parents wanted an easy cruise i.e. door pickup/drop-off, no flying, cheaper insurance etc. It is for their benefit as I would not ordinarily pick a Saga cruise as very happy with Azamara, Oceania and Silversea. 

Things we do for our loved ones and the sacrifices we make😂 do your best to enjoy it !

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Davio40 said:

You would probably get that on the cheaper brands like TUI, Carnival, P&O, RC etc. but I doubt you'd get jogging bottoms and football shirts (and I have never seen it) on Azamara, Oceania and Silversea. 

Dress standards on Azamara have also fallen in recent years,  supposed to be smart casual but nothing like as smart as it once was in my opinion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davio40 said:

On one Oceania trip we had a man from the US wear an array of UK football shirts every day for 10 days.

7 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

On one Oceania trip we had a man from the US wear an array of UK football shirts every day for 10 days.

How strange!  I wonder if he was an indecisive expat🙂.  
Regarding the casual clothing trend :  I am hoping there will be a turn around one day, and that folk will be so bored with their dress preferences that they will embrace a more formal dress code for a change.   Of course, I may not live to see it.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 5:26 PM, Davio40 said:

We were on a Marella (TUI) adults-only cruise in February. In the evenings, the majority of ladies (of all ages) wore far more dressy clothes than I've seen on formal nights on Saga, and not just on the "dress to impress" night. Of course, there was the dress-down brigade too, but we've also seen that on Saga with some ladies wearing tweed skirts and a cardi, even on a formal night. We've also sailed with Azamara; many seemed to interpret the dress code as golf course wear. Our next ocean cruises are with Saga and Marella. We'll see!

• Like 3

On 7/21/2023 at 2:15 PM, Davio40 said:

I think you’re missing the point as to why so many people choose Saga, and that is because thankfully they have stuck to some traditions that people really want to experience. As you say, there are plenty of other lines out there that accommodate casual, i.e. sloppy dress and a lot of us don’t want to be in that category. I am early 60s and absolutely love the fact that people still wear shirts, ties and jackets and don’t feel the need to dress up in denim overalls to go to dinner and wear shorts to breakfast just because they’re on holiday. If people want to wear shorts for breakfast and jeans and T-shirts, then perhaps choose NCL or MSC or a land based holiday.

• Like 5