Shorts at breakfast in the MDR

Davio40

35 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

I think you’re missing the point as to why so many people choose Saga, and that is because thankfully they have stuck to some traditions that people really want to experience. As you say, there are plenty of other lines out there that accommodate casual, i.e. sloppy dress and a lot of us don’t want to be in that category. I am early 60s and absolutely love the fact that people still wear shirts, ties and jackets and don’t feel the need to dress up in denim overalls to go to dinner and wear shorts to breakfast just because they’re on holiday. If people want to wear shorts for breakfast and jeans and T-shirts, then perhaps choose NCL or MSC or a land based holiday.

Absolutely spot on!.

• Like 2

On another line's board on cruise critic the subject of dress code has exercised many posters these past few days. My take is that it's too much trouble for some/many. I think that's sad. The race to the bottom is getting swifter. 

One contributor even suggested that his ripped designer jeans cost far more than most people's tuxedos and should therefore be permitted on formal nights. 

Just shows - you can't buy class or good taste. 

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

On another line's board on cruise critic the subject of dress code has exercised many posters these past few days. My take is that it's too much trouble for some/many. I think that's sad. The race to the bottom is getting swifter. 

One contributor even suggested that his ripped designer jeans cost far more than most people's tuxedos and should therefore be permitted on formal nights. 

What a super expression; 'The race to the bottom is getting swifter.' ..... and oh so true. The story of the kings new clothes comes to mind when reading that some stupid person seems to have paid a great deal of money to buy ripped jeans. He/she/they/it have clearly also never bought a quality tuxedo.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ladycommonsense said:

. If people want to wear shorts for breakfast and jeans and T-shirts, then perhaps choose NCL or MSC or a land based holiday.

I completely disagree,  as someone who would be very happily wear a tuxedo most nights, I am a strong believer in proper dress at dinner and in the evening.

However shorts and T shirt at breakfast or lunch are completely acceptable not only by the Saga dress code , but also by most passengers. If  Saga banned these then there would be a rush for other lines. A shirt and tie at breakfast went out 50 years ago, and rightly so.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

On an earlier thread n this board, someone spent some time name-dropping all the brand name clothing that he possessed but was not acceptable for dinner attire.  Not 100% sure, but think it was the same person who sneered at the passengers wearing formal attire from M&S (no idea if he pulled their clothes off to look at the label or not).

Seems that some people would like the dining room to be accessed by label - the higher the cost of your clothes, the more acceptable you should be.

Sad.

Or annoying - take your pick..

• Like 9

On 7/23/2023 at 9:40 AM, Wacktle said:

We were on a Marella (TUI) adults-only cruise in February. In the evenings, the majority of ladies (of all ages) wore far more dressy clothes than I've seen on formal nights on Saga, and not just on the "dress to impress" night. Of course, there was the dress-down brigade too, but we've also seen that on Saga with some ladies wearing tweed skirts and a cardi, even on a formal night. We've also sailed with Azamara; many seemed to interpret the dress code as golf course wear. Our next ocean cruises are with Saga and Marella. We'll see!

Just an observation.

I was born into what was then described as a working class family; both my parents were cotton mill workers. I ended up as an executive director of a financial institution. My father wore overalls to work everyday. He loved to wear a suit collar and tie; to him this meant that he was at leisure. I wore a suit collar and tie to work every day; to me these were working clothes and when not at work I chose to dress much more casually.

Perhaps this explains to some extent why more upmarket cruise lines tend to have more relaxed dress codes.

Edited by Denarius
spelling
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Just an observation.

I was born into what was then described as a working class family; both my parents were cotton mill workers. I ended up as an executive director of a financial institution. My father wore overalls to work everyday. He loved to wear a suit collar and tie; to him this meant that he was at leisure. I wore a suit collar and tie to work every day; to me these were working clothes and when not at work I chose to dress much more casually.

Perhaps this explains to some extent why more upmarket cruise lines tend to have more relaxed dress codes.

By the more up market , more expensive lines,  presume you must mean Seabourn, Silversea and Regent. They have identical dress codes to Saga at night including formal nights. Their codes are not more relaxed than Saga , maybe more lax in enforcement. 

Even the very small ships, e.g. Noble Caledonia and Ponant don't allow shorts and T shirt at night.

So Saga is not significantly different to  more expensive lines. 

Let's hope Saga stays as it is.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, nosapphire said:

On an earlier thread n this board, someone spent some time name-dropping all the brand name clothing that he possessed but was not acceptable for dinner attire.  Not 100% sure, but think it was the same person who sneered at the passengers wearing formal attire from M&S (no idea if he pulled their clothes off to look at the label or not).

Seems that some people would like the dining room to be accessed by label - the higher the cost of your clothes, the more acceptable you should be.

Sad.

Or annoying - take your pick..

Sad. Annoying. And obnoxious!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I completely disagree,  as someone who would be very happily wear a tuxedo most nights, I am a strong believer in proper dress at dinner and in the evening.

However shorts and T shirt at breakfast or lunch are completely acceptable not only by the Saga dress code , but also by most passengers. If  Saga banned these then there would be a rush for other lines. A shirt and tie at breakfast went out 50 years ago, and rightly so.

This is not an argument as it's nice to know that you would happily wear tuxedo. I have to say I don't agree with your statement that; 'A shirt and tie at breakfast went out 50 years ago, and rightly so.' ...... I wonder why you say 'rightly so' though, if that is what some people of a certain genre want to wear, then how fabulous to know they get up in the morning and make a massive effort to look great.

15 hours ago, Denarius said:

Just an observation.

Indeed it may well explain it. However the explanation may also be that as all the cruise lines are so desperate to attract passengers now, that they relax their rules to attract the people who have no standards.

28 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

Indeed it may well explain it. However the explanation may also be that as all the cruise lines are so desperate to attract passengers now, that they relax their rules to attract the people who have no standards.

I think the term is "People who have lower standards". Just off the allotment style dress or what's the problem I've only been wearing these jogging trousers for the past fortnight!.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ladycommonsense said:

May I beg to dissagree.

Firstly, I object to the implication that people who prefer to dress casually have no standards. They do, it is just that their standards differ from your own. To many standard of dress is determined by the state of presentation of the garments worn rather by than their nature; it is possble to look extremely smart dressed casually just as it is to look extremely scruffy formally dressed. It is all a matter of personal opinion.

Secondly, I do not believe that the relaxation of dress codes reflects desperation to attract passengers. It has been going on for many years and started in the pre pandemic boom years of ocean cruising. Rather, it reflects changes in society. In my post to which you refer, I stated that I wore a suit and tie to work. This was de rigeur at the time. My company now has a smart casual dress code, and has done so for many years. Society moves on, and cruise lines move with it, albeit some more quickly than others.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

By the more up market , more expensive lines,  presume you must mean Seabourn, Silversea and Regent. They have identical dress codes to Saga at night including formal nights. Their codes are not more relaxed than Saga , maybe more lax in enforcement. 

Even the very small ships, e.g. Noble Caledonia and Ponant don't allow shorts and T shirt at night.

So Saga is not significantly different to  more expensive lines. 

Let's hope Saga stays as it is.

I was actually referring to lines like Azamara, Oceania and Viking, which I regard as Sagas immediate competitors. As opposed to lines like P&O which operate at a lower price point. Although I believe that on Regent formal attire is optional and jacket and tie is never obligatory.

I was in no way suggesting that tee shirt and shorts should be worn at dinner, and have never done so. More that the requirement to wear jackets and ties tends to diminish as price increases.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ladycommonsense said:

This is not an argument as it's nice to know that you would happily wear tuxedo. I have to say I don't agree with your statement that; 'A shirt and tie at breakfast went out 50 years ago, and rightly so.' ...... I wonder why you say 'rightly so' though, if that is what some people of a certain genre want to wear, then how fabulous to know they get up in the morning and make a massive effort to look great.

Because you said people who want to wear jeans and shorts for BREAKFAST , should go on NCL or MSC.  Where as I believe they should be wellcomed on Saga.  Having a stricter dress code for BREAKFAST would be completely wrong and really harm Saga.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Denarius said:

I was actually referring to lines like Azamara, Oceania and Viking, which I regard as Sagas immediate competitors. As opposed to lines like P&O which operate at a lower price point. Although I believe that on Regent formal attire is optional and jacket and tie is never obligatory.

I was in no way suggesting that tee shirt and shorts should be worn at dinner, and have never done so. More that the requirement to wear jackets and ties tends to diminish as price 

I see Azamara and Oceana as actually  downmarket to Saga , based on their cheapest cabins being cheaper than Saga, and their much smaller passenger space ratios. They are more casual  and don't have formal nights.

Viking is a bit more up market and again is smart casual , but no formal nights

Seabourn,  Silversea, Regent at the most up markeyhave the same dress code as Saga and formal nights.

No cruise line insists on Jackets on non Formal nights.

All in all, there seems to be very little correlation between up and down market and dress code.

Except that the party lines are very casual. Yet Tui is relatively  cheap , and Virgin expensive 

Azamara and Oceania are by and large more expensive than Saga so I do not agree that they are downmarket to Saga. They also have much nicer and finer furnishings and Oceania has far superior cuisine than Saga (I saw a Saga menu offering 'bubble and squeak' - hardly upmarket)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davio40 said:

Azamara and Oceania are by and large more expensive than Saga so I do not agree that they are downmarket to Saga. They also have much nicer and finer furnishings and Oceania has far superior cuisine than Saga (I saw a Saga menu offering 'bubble and squeak' - hardly 

Looking at price Amazara are more often cheaper than Saga.

As to bubble and squeak,  I've had it at Michelin star restaurants. However what you may be referring to is Saga having a one dish as what they call simple fare on the menu each night.  After 3 weeks , one night I had a simple macaroni cheese for a change.

Saga furniture is modern simple, by one of the top designers. Saga ships are certainly much more spacious, much  better passenger space ratio.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Davio40 said:

Oceania has far superior cuisine than Saga

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but I get the impression from your posts that you have not yet been on a Saga ship and wonder whether your view that Oceania's cuisine is far superior might carry more weight if you had actually sampled Saga's offerings. If you are basing your view on the appearance of a single supposedly down-market dish on Saga's menu on one occasion then that doesn't strike me as conclusive evidence of Oceania's superiority.

• Like 4