AON Affinity and Norwegian Cruise Line Guest Relations

Ahoy2022

We had booked air travel through Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) from AVL through ATL to New Orleans where the cruise departure port was located. Due to poor weather conditions in ATL our flight which left the gate on time sat on the tarmac for 90 minutes before departing, we therefore missed our connection in ATL. No other flights were available to get us to the port in time for the cruise departure due to weather cancellations. We had NCL trip insurance whiich required us to first file with AON travel insurance (NCL's administrator). They denied all coverage. NCL then sent us an email stating we would get 75% of the cancellation penalty back in cruise credit in 4-6 weeks. Now 9 weeks later NCL states they cannot give us a credit. "Aon Ltd.'s decision in assessing claims is final and we truly cannot offer any assistance in this regard." NCL is splitting hairs on whether this is a trip interuption or trip cancellation. Since we had boarded a flight and were in another state when we could not reach our cruise departure port we filed as a trip interuption. We cancelled our trip when we returned home from ATL later that same day. NCL is saying it should have been filed as a trip cancellation. AON will not allow us to change the filing status from Trip Interruption to Trip Cancellation. Really? Highly underwhelmed by the NCL US Guest Experience help on this issue! This has left us doubting any future cruises on NCL.

If you filed this as a claim for Trip Interruption", then Yes, you filed the claim wrong and they are right in that it was to be denied.

What is "Trip Interruption"? A trip interruption occurs when a traveler must unexpectedly cut short his or her trip and return home. Additionally, interruption can cause you to stay at your destination longer than originally planned.

The proper claim would have been "Trip Cancellation"

Had you notified NCL before the ship departed that you were cancelling, then the CFAR (the 75% credit) may have come into play. Doesn't sound like that happened.

I'm not sure what would happen should you open another claim, this time for Trip Cancellation.

Another reason why I use a broker to help me find a policy and to ask questions when it's time to file a claim.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If you filed this as a claim for Trip Interruption", then Yes, you filed the claim wrong and they are right in that it was to be denied.

What is "Trip Interruption"? A trip interruption occurs when a traveler must unexpectedly cut short his or her trip and return home. Additionally, interruption can cause you to stay at your destination longer than originally planned.

The proper claim would have been "Trip Cancellation"

Had you notified NCL before the ship departed that you were cancelling, then the CFAR (the 75% credit) may have come into play. Doesn't sound like that happened.

I'm not sure what would happen should you open another claim, this time for Trip Cancellation.

Another reason why I use a broker to help me find a policy and to ask questions when it's time to file a claim.

Interesting situation.

If OP had arrange air independently and only used this particular insurance for the NCL cruise, then yes, trip ("cruise") cancellation.

But OP's "trip" included the air.  So why isn't it "interruption"?

A different question:  In a case like this, might the insurer prefer to spend a possibly modest amount to pay for the travelers to "catch up" with the cruise (assuming that isn't disallowed by some cabotage laws, etc.)?  That might cost much less than a full refund of an expensive trip.

That's a main reason I'd want to double check with the insurer (or in our case, our travel insurance broker) to make sure our decision would indeed be "covered".

GC

• Thanks 1

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/BookSafe-Travel-Protection-Plan_112514.pdf

Lots of problems with this one.

First, the CFAR portion should have covered the cancellation if the call was made prior to the ship’s departure. The OP said he did call to cancel later the same day once they returned home but did not indicate the call was made by the deadline defined in the policy.

Second, Trip Interruption in most policies would pay to catch up to the ship for a number of covered reasons. NCL does not include weather. That is included in Trip Delay, which may have triggered Trip Interruption which in turn would have required the OP to attempt to catch up at the first port. All of that would have required acknowledgment from NCL.

To the OP:  Did you contact the NCL EnRoute number to ask for instructions how to proceed before returning home?

It seems that you may have acted on false assumptions without being familiar with the terms of the policy. Check the timing of your call against the ship’s scheduled departure to see if there is any recourse there. Perhaps an appeal is in order. A complete denial seems arbitrary since you may qualify for at least Trip Delay. 

Edited by Babr

AON is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau.  That should be a red flag to the careful consumer.

I was offered a policy from a TA for an upcoming Disney Cruise.  Needless to say, I did not use them.  I continue to urge people to read the policy, only take recommendations from people who have attempted to collect on a policy (instead of people who are impressed with how fast the company deposited the premiums), and read how they treat their policyholders on consumer forums.

Upon second reading, I noticed a detail that escaped me the first time. 

NCL did notify them in writing at a later date that they would be reimbursed in FCC, indicating they did call in time to qualify. The problem arose when the claim was filed under the wrong provision. You have to file a cancellation claim in order to get Cancel for Any Reason.

It amounts to a clerical / administrative error. If AON will not allow a reclassification, I think I’d contact the State Insurance Commissioner’s office to see if they can assist. Forget Trip Delay. Appeal for Cancellation.