Question for recent cruisers out of Amsterdam

We're sailing on the Jewel at the end of August, but we'll spend several days beforehand in Delft.  We were thinking about taking the train to Amsterdam the morning of embarkation, dropping our bags off at the terminal, and then spending some more time in Amsterdam before actually getting on the ship.  Since every port is a bit different, does anyone know if that's a doable plan?  Also - any idea how early we might be able to drop off our bags?  Thanks in advance!

Delft is very close to the Hague. If you are into tastings at all, we highly recommend visiting Van Kleef Distillery. We went there with friends of ours before our cruise last Summer and had the best time. We were the only English speaking people for that particular tasting, and the owner took care of us personally. Our friends do lots of tastings from wines to whiskeys, and they said this was the best one they've ever done anywhere.

Anyway, I agree with @gumshoe958. Totally walkable from the Central Station to the port. You should be able to drop off your bags fairly early. We stayed next door and I think we took our bags over about 9:30, and then an easy walk to the city center. Note that if you want to do the Anne Frank museum, you need to buy tickets before hand. They go on sale on the Tuesday, for the week 6 weeks later, so they are probably on sale now. We did the museum + introductory program and would recommend that. While walkable from the port (< 30m), I would probably recommend an Uber for that to save time.

11 hours ago, smithley said:

We're sailing on the Jewel of the Seas at the end of August, but we'll spend several days beforehand in Delft.  We were thinking about taking the train to Amsterdam the morning of embarkation, dropping our bags off at the terminal, and then spending some more time in Amsterdam before actually getting on the ship.  Since every port is a bit different, does anyone know if that's a doable plan?  Also - any idea how early we might be able to drop off our bags?  Thanks in advance!

If you board an intercity train f.e. at 08:54 AM in Delft, you will arrive at Amsterdam Centraal Station at 09:55. It is a 15 minutes walk to the Cruise terminal and I believe (experience with Holland America Line only) you will be able by that time to drop your luggage. If you have time to visit Amsterdam is depending upon departure and embarkation time. Amsterdam Center is at a walkable distance and tramway is quite near the cruise terminal. 

MAVIP - thank you so much for your reply!  The last time we visited Amsterdam was in 1984 - I imagine we'll see a lot of change.  We're looking forward to spending time outside Amsterdam in Delft and The Hague too.

22 hours ago, smithley said:

Also - any idea how early we might be able to drop off our bags?  Thanks in advance!

Stayed at the Movenpick last august and walked my bags down at 9 am. Central station is over half a mile from the cruiseport, there is a train/tram from central station that will get you within a few hundred yards. 

Thanks for the distillery tip - we'll be heading to The Hague one day for museum-ing and I'm sure we can squeeze in a little tasting too.  Also good to know that an early drop off is doable.  

Yes, your plan is very doable.  I would just make sure you have luggage tags secure on your bags, as there are 1000s of bags going the other direction (off the ship, and onto taxis and buses)  in the early morning, so you don't want yours to get somehow misplaced.    I like to put packaging tape over the paper luggage tags in case it rains (poor man's laminating!).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes very do-able. If you are arriving to Centraal. Exit towards the water side and walk to the ship (10 min  walk) Drop bags off and return to Centraal. You can than take a tram to any area of city or walk around! Great City (we just visited on RCL in June)

Sorry for the shaky red line I drew..LOL!! But this is simplest walking path to cruise port.!

image.thumb.png.1ece0ff6c0460ac441139a3c1836250e.png

• Like 1