Do Agents help with claims?

rbslos18

We had a claim due to having COVID and having missed three flights. Adding insult to injury we and a couple of dozen people were given a worthless hotel voucher by the airline. (They never paid it, sticking all passengers with their hotel bill!).

I have been very satisfied with help in buying the policy and the policies offered.  But now that we have had our first claim, I want to have realistic expectations. Going forward, what role, if any, should I expect my insurance agent to play in resolving such matters?  I am trying to calibrate my expectations.

Edited by rbslos18

41 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

We had a claim due to having COVID and having missed three flights. Adding insult to injury we and a couple of dozen people were given a worthless hotel voucher by the airline. (They never paid it, sticking all passengers with their hotel bill!).

I have been very satisfied with help in buying the policy and the policies offered.  But now that we have had our first claim, I want to have realistic expectations. Going forward, what role, if any, should I expect my insurance agent to play in resolving such matters?  I am trying to calibrate my expectations.

I'm not quite sure how to understand your question.

The agent who sold you the travel insurance policy certainly *should* help you with the claim.  That's part of the service the provide... or should be!

However, that doesn't guarantee that they *will* actually "resolve" the problem to your satisfaction.  Whether and how a claim would get resolved would depend upon the specific claim, the circumstances, and whether the reason for the claim is indeed an event that is covered by the policy.

You should probably contact your agent to discuss whether and how they can help.

(And this is something that one could also ask the agent before using them to buy the insurance!)

GC

1 hour ago, GeezerCouple said:

I'm not quite sure how to understand your question.

The agent who sold you the travel insurance policy certainly *should* help you with the claim.  That's part of the service the provide... or should be!

However, that doesn't guarantee that they *will* actually "resolve" the problem to your satisfaction.  Whether and how a claim would get resolved would depend upon the specific claim, the circumstances, and whether the reason for the claim is indeed an event that is covered by the policy.

You should probably contact your agent to discuss whether and how they can help.

(And this is something that one could also ask the agent before using them to buy the insurance!)

GC

Since my agent did not assist when we asked for help, I’m trying to determine whether that was  a fair expectation. 

What would be my expectation?

In an emergent situation, there is always a number to call on the policy for assistance and/or guidance.

Side Note: I had a claim denied because the policy clearly stated I needed to contact that number before going to a hospital for treatment. (The treatment sought was non life threatening). Just needed stitches and X-rays.

In your case, maybe some guidance on what claim to file such as Trip Delay or Trip Interruption or maybe even Trip Cancellation. (They will deny if you file under the wrong terms)

Maybe suggestions as to what documentation and from whom would be some good guidance also.

Now that you have me thinking, maybe a flow chart, like pilots use during in flight emergencies, would be helpful to use as a guide when traveling.

Is it Medical? Yes/No If No, turn to page 2. If Yes, Is it Life or Death? Yes/No. If Yes seek emergency treatment. If No, follow XYZ all based on the terms, conditions, and definitions based on your individual policy.

Have all phone numbers in the flow chart with room for additional notes etc. Page 2, 3, 4 etc have the same flow chart for Trip Delay, Trip Cancelation, etc.

Now, if only I knew how to make a flow chart like I did when I was learning how to write machine code 40 years ago 🤯

Edited by klfrodo
  • Haha 1

I think the issue is what role, if any, should be played by the agent who sells a policy. If I have a problem arranging a medical test, I don’t  expect the doctor to intervene. There is staff to do this.  When we had a house leak, a staff assistant reached out to the insurance company, not the agent. 

Is  to role of an agent just to sell a policy or is it reasonable that s/he also be an advocate when a claim is filed and there is an issue.  

Another factor may also be the size of the business selling the policy. A larger insurance broker company may have a staff person assigned to assist with claims.

I’m trying to learn the terrain of this industry which I regularly use but thankfully rarely need. It’s better to understand this before needing help!

18 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

I think the issue is what role, if any, should be played by the agent who sells a policy. If I have a problem arranging a medical test, I don’t  expect the doctor to intervene. There is staff to do this.  When we had a house leak, a staff assistant reached out to the insurance company, not the agent. 

Is  to role of an agent just to sell a policy or is it reasonable that s/he also be an advocate when a claim is filed and there is an issue.  

Another factor may also be the size of the business selling the policy. A larger insurance broker company may have a staff person assigned to assist with claims.

I’m trying to learn the terrain of this industry which I regularly use but thankfully rarely need. It’s better to understand this before needing help!

A few of us who peruse and/or post here use trip insurance store as they will help when a claim is to be made, in fact they help us determine which policy is the best for the trip being contemplated or taken.

Steve is has an open forum for insurance questions, currently... 

Take a gander of questions here and there to gain some idea of challenges others have or had faced when making claims OR for your next trip, feel free to call or email them for info and with questions.

IMO, most travel agents who take the order for your insurance is just doing that, if a claim is needed you are on your own as they have no real idea as to what is needed after they got their commission on the sale!!! LOL

In health and bon voyage

bon voyage

20 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Hi rbsol18,

> Going forward, what role, if any, should I expect my insurance agent to play in resolving such matters?

First, I believe that if someone earns a commission they are morally obligated to help you with the claim.

We help everyone with claims, but since the start of Covid, everything has slowed down partly to to staffing problems and having to train new employees. I wrote this a year ago:
https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/why-are-travel-insurance-claims-taking-so-long-to-process/

We have a good relationship with our companies mainly because they know that we haven't ever tried to deceive them. In the last 21 years, I've sent more than a few emails to our companies that start with: "I made a mistake and this is my fault, but I need your help". We record our phone calls so we can send the call to our companies to document our mistakes, too.

In addition, I personally have been having longer response times from my companies over the last 3 months.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be three takeaways:  Look for an agent  

1) who is knowledgeable about the product amd can help guide in the selection process. Price is only one component.
2)  has the time and willingness to help with claims. 

3) uses a limited number of companies they specialize in. 

For years I used a DIY approach until I found this board and used the questions posed as a test. I didn’t pass. 

Edited by rbslos18

16 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

There seems to be three takeaways:  Look for an agent  

1) who is knowledgeable about the product amd can help guide in the selection process. Price is only one component.
2)  has the time and willingness to help with claims. 

3) uses a limited number of companies they specialize in. 

For years I used a DIY approach until I found this board and used the questions posed as a test. I didn’t pass. 

[emphasis added]

Insurance is a regulated industry.  My understanding is that "the same policy" in a state will cost the same as "the same policy" in the same state.

Agents/brokers usually do not add additional cost; they receive their commission from the insurance company.

If there are different prices in the same state, you should probably double check that the policies are actually different.

Select based upon the terms/conditions/coverage of the policy, and the reputations of the insurer and broker or agent.

GC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rbslos18 said:

This forum is full of people who have had buyer’s remorse. 

I would guess that 95% of the people who experienced buyers remorse were people who misunderstood what travel insurance covers and more importantly what travel insurance doesn’t cover.

The first time I mitigated my risk by purchasing travel insurance, I was very proud of my self. I thought that now that I had travel insurance, if I ran into any trouble all I had to do was give them a call and my problem went away. Miss a flight, they’ll buy a new ticket. Miss the ship in a port, they’ll fly me home.Have to seek medical care, just show my policy and they would direct bill.

Thank goodness I found this forum before I needed to use my policy.