Renny NYC car service

FritzG

Has anyone used Renny car service for a transfer from Newark to our hotel in Brooklyn?  They have lots of high ratings on Tripadvisor so I'm considering them for our QM2 cruise in August.

TIA

11 hours ago, FritzG said:

Has anyone used Renny car service for a transfer from Newark to our hotel in Brooklyn?  They have lots of high ratings on Tripadvisor so I'm considering them for our QM2 cruise in August.

TIA

Not that I'm familiar with every transportation company in New York but I found it unusual that I'd never heard the name.

In looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor it appears they're a mash up of reviews of two completely different companies...a car service in New York and a tour operator in the Dominican Republic.

Then when accessing the car service's website if found the home page was in Portuguese and had to be translated to English, quite unusual to say the least for a New York-based company. Scrolling to the bottom of the home page I saw contact telephone numbers for three different cities in Brazil and one for New York City.

So, it appears that the company caters primarily to the Portuguese-speaking market, and most likely primarily the Brazilian tourist market. Obviously there's nothing wrong with that and they may provide excellent service, but as a result it's probably unlikely you'll find anyone here familiar with the company. The fact that I had to depend on Google to translate a website for a company with an office in Astoria, Queens makes me a bit uncomfortable , but it may make you very comfortable if Portuguese is your first language or you are otherwise fluent in Portuguese.

• Like 2

Thanks for doing the research for me.  We don't speak or understand Portuguese, and I wondered if that would be an issue.  They have so many glowing reviews on Tripadvisor, but I'm glad I posted a note on CC.

Both Carmel and Dial 7 had so many bad reviews on Tripadvisor, and I'm still uncertain which one to chose.  I've got to look up last year's cruise out of Brooklyn to see who we used.  We weren't very happy with the driver.

5 minutes ago, FritzG said:

Both Carmel and Dial 7 had so many bad reviews on Tripadvisor, and I'm still uncertain which one to chose.

They both have bad reviews because they both use independent contractors for 100% of their rides-- they don't own or operate any vehicles so consistency is not their forte. They are essentially an aggregator and dispatch service for independent drivers. There is no difference between booking between either of them-- they pull from the same pool of drivers. 

If you go in with the right expectations Dial7 and Carmel are fine-- safe, vetted, and will get you from point A to B at a reasonable price for a car service. They are both not the top end of the market but they don't pretend to be.

If you want to pay a few hundred more you can book with a service like Carey or Savoya-- you'll get new cars and white glove treatment, but pay a bunch more than you have to. 

• Like 2

I would look carefully at the reviews of Renny to see if they are folks with significant review histories or if they are just 1 or 2 review folks.  Read what they are saying to see if the reviews make sense for the service being provided.

Dial 7 and Carmel have been recommended here and on TA for well over a decade.  With thousands of customers a month for each of them you will get complaints, and most folks are much quicker to post a complaint than a compliment about a car service

• Like 2

17 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Not that I'm familiar with every transportation company in New York but I found it unusual that I'd never heard the name. * * *

I had found the same thing, but made no comment because I couldn't figure it out. I was not certain if this company is located locally or not. Nor was I certain if this company provides transportation itself, or if it is a base station. I could not tell if the company was licensed in any respect (to do business within any state, to engage in interstate commerce, to be a carrier, to be a base, etc.). It might not matter for many people, to engage companies for relatively low value, low risk, services without knowing these things, though if things go wrong (e.g., no-show, collision) then it might have been worthwhile knowing. Here, I was unable to provide any assurances or insights here.

• Like 1