Glow worms - Kawiti caves, Waitomo caves, or both?

pompeii

We will be stopping twice in both Tauranga and Bay of Islands on upcoming b2b cruises in Oct/Nov.  Wed like to see the glow worm caves in either Kawiti from Bay of Islands, or Waitomo from Tauranga, or both.  The tours we're considering include other things besides the caves, so that's not the only thing we'd see on our day out.  I've read that Waitomo is more impressive but also more crowded.  Are they unique enough experiences to warrant visiting both?  Since we have two days in each port, we have another day to spend on other things, like Rotorua from Tauranga and snorkeling in B of I.  Can those of you who have seen the caves shed some light on the glow worms?  Thanks.

hi, Spent my childhood and early adulthood in the Bay so I know the caves quite well.

the glow worms at Kawiti are unfortunately not worth doing if you have other options whereas Waitomo are not to be missed. There is plenty to do in the Bay that I think you will have a day better spent - The Hole in the Rock,, Waitangi Treaty Grounds, Russell, Puketi forest. Compared to Waitmio Im afraid they don't stack up to much....

Edited by roscoe39
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were at the kawiti caves last winter.  They were ok but not spectacular.  However, Waitomo just didn't work out for us.  I'm still glad we saw the glow worms, even if not the ideal caves.  We also enjoyed some of the other stops on the Bay of Islands tour, especially the forest.

Really agree that Hobbiton is a must see!  We did it from Taranga.

• Thanks 1