upgrading pre-hotel room

Lonedaddy

Has anyone upgraded their pre-cruise hotel room booked with SS?  If so did you do it through SS or work directly with the hotel.  Looking at Grand Bretagne hotel in Athens would like a balcony room.

57 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Has anyone upgraded their pre-cruise hotel room booked with SS?  If so did you do it through SS or work directly with the hotel.  Looking at Grand Bretagne hotel in Athens would like a balcony room.

I stayed there in April.....didn't upgrade but it is really a lovely property in an excellent location🙂

2 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

We upgraded our hotel room last Nov in Lisbon. We dealt directly with the hotel and paid the difference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

Yes and a lovely hotel!!

Good to hear.  Web site photos always look great, but one never knows how much the camera may have 'improved' the ambiance 😏

We will be there for the Dawn TA in November.  Wanted to stay some extra days ahead, and evidently SS can't deal with more than three nights.  So we worked with the hotel for the additional 2 nights in a better than 'standard' room, and they won't be asking us to move for the last 3 booked via SS.  Worked out superbly.

19 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

We have often upgraded our room and do so through our TA. SS can't seem to handle this concept.  It is a challenge when a one night stay is included in the cruise. I usually bring a box of chocolates for the front desk when checking in.

4 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

You will love the hotel and location.

When we stay in Barcelona, we stay up at the north end of La Rambla.  It would appear that the Avenida da Liberdade may be the Lisbon analogies?

Anyway, to the OP, if you want to do anything that deviates from the standard SS arrangement, you'll need to manage it privately, but making the property fully aware that you'll be there as part of a SS package.

• Like 1

We separately booked an extra two nights at a different SS-pre-cruise hotel and received an upgraded room. Upon request, as with canderson, the hotel allowed us to stay in the upgraded room for the third night for no additional charge--maybe you could do the same thing at the Athens hotel.

Edited by taxatty

We were in the hotel your asking about. We had our travel agent upgrade our room to view the ruins and a Jr suite. We paid the upgrade and used Silversea $200 allowance. When we arrived we checked in with Silversea and it was just normal checkin. When we checked out I paid the upgraded charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lonedaddy said:

just curious if anyone knows what rooms have a balcony or french balcony.  I only see one in the room descriptions but from the picture it seems that are many.

Exterior Photo

I don't know the number but I do remember that the upcharge for a room with a balcony was quite expensive. It was more than what I wanted to spend. Just go to the roof restaurant/bar and get a great view of the Acropolis.

50 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I don't know the number, but I do remember that the upcharge for a room with a balcony was quite expensive. It was more than what I wanted to spend. Just go to the roof restaurant/bar and get a great view of the Acropolis.

Doesn't have to be Acropolis view, but DW still smokes, so for the before bed and morning smokes it helps.