Post Cruise Packing Report: 7 day Caribbean cruise in a carry on

Hi, I often post my packing lists but I don't always share how it worked out. For this one, I didn't post pre-cruise, so am sharing a "how it went post" and "things I might do differently".

My cruise was a 7 day NCL Caribbean cruise on NCL out of Miami. A big advantage of NCL is not having any formal nights (you can dress up, but no requirement to do so. This cruise was chosen as I was volunteering in Orlando the week before. So, I had essentially three travel days, 2 "free" days in Orlando, 4 days volunteering and then a week cruise. When I volunteer at the large arena, it is ALWAYS freezing. Same with flying (I am always cold on planes). 

Packing List:

Clothes

5 sleeveless dresses 

2 very lightweight cardigans in taupe and navy blue

2 pairs Athleta Brooklyn style pants in taupe and navy blue

4 sleeveless tops (essentially mix and match with both pants)

1 nightgown

2 one piece swim suits

3 shoes: one skechers slip on (not sneaker style), one pair Teva sandals (blue color, a little dressier than the rainbow style)

7 pairs underwear

3 bras

5 no show socks

2 very lighweight slip shorts in taupe and navy

1 packable hat

Misc

8.5 x 11 wet bag

packable tote

phone case crossbody

Skipbo

2 decks of cards

Sea to Summit small toiletry bag

quart bag for liquids

kindle

iPad

large portable battery

small purse size portable battery

quart size bag of electronic cords and misc

birthday magnets for cruise door

small crossbody purse

Good Luck gifts for our team 

small square soft cube of OTC meds, sleep meds, bonine, etc

I packed in a Travelpro 22" suitcase and a Kipling backpack. Because I planned to ship through my luggage both ways, I packed a small cube with my nightgown, pair of underwear, 2nd top and the lightest weight dress I had. I wore a pair of slacks, top, cardigan and skechers on the plane. I wasn't really worried about losing my luggage, but still like a "just in case" cube. At worst, I can use the cube the first might of I don't want to totally unpack. My carryon also had the electronic cords, iPad, kindle, wet bag and good luck gifts for the team (I tried to make these small but did have 8 sets of juggling balls, so it took a bit of room)

I was missing a pair of flip flops. I ordered a pair of crocs from Amazon, but the size was too small. So I ended up buying  a pair in Orlando  (I planned this knowing there are crocs stores there). What I didn't plan was one pair was $34 and there was a sale for 2 for $40, so I actually bought two pairs.

I also went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast the first day and bought 2 dresses from Cracker Barrel. As an aside, I LOVE Cracker Barrel. We have none in my area and only two (I think) in CA. So whenever I go somewhere that has a Cracker Barrel  I have to go. In this case, I found two dresses, both on sale. One was one I saw in March when I visited my mom and actually had buyers remorse for not buying it (A navy blue tee style with an embellished anchor-so cute for cruising) and the other, a pretty ombre colored dress). I did not wear these on the cruise, because they are too warm for the Caribbean. but they will be cute for cruises, especially from the CA ports where the weather isn't so humid. 

The amount of clothes was almost perfect. I meant to bring enough underwear for 9 days (the days of the cruise plus travel time) but miscounted (oops!). So I handwashed two pair one day, not a big deal. I was a little cold in the gym, but actually layered both cardigans one day and was fine and luckily, the other days were warmer. I often freeze in dining rooms on a ship on other cruises, but was fine on this one. The cardigans were the perfect accessory. 

My dresses all had blue in them, but were different styles and patterns. For example, I had a navy blue maxi dress with big rose colored flowers with a crinkle style fabric. Then I also had a navy and taupe with kind a floral pattern intermixed with geometric patterns. Then a very "flowy" almost chiffon type dress that had a very tiny floral print, so seemed more navy. 

I didn't wear the hat much, but that was in part because I traveled with my 87 year old mom, so did very little excursions. I wear a lot more when dh and I travel and would continue to bring it.

I loved the color scheme. Navy blue and taupe seems very "nautical" and because I had very different styled clothes, I didn't feel like I was wearing the same thing again and again. It really helped in reducing shoes. I used to always have black as a base color and will probably still do so for cold weather trips, but loved it for summer!

I appreciated two suits. We didn't necessarily go in the pool every day, but it was great not to have to put on a damp suit. I don't think I'll ever only take one again! The no show socks are great for my feet while wearing skechers and take up no room. 

I am very happy with my crossbody phone case. I can keep a credit card or room key in it, or small bills for tips. Its great for cruising and taking pictures. I wasn't worried reaching my phone out to take phots, because if I dropped it, it would just fall around my neck. This goes with me on every vacation where I am taking a lot of photos. 

My electronics kit has become a dumping ground for lots of cords, chargers, etc/ I really need to clean it out-I was way too may unneeded items, Same with my OTC meds bag. I packed it for a 16 day cruise and had way more items than I needed, especially considering I was "on land" for over half the trip.

Because I travel a lot, I am realizing I need a large and small of many items, like my electronic bag, my OTC meds bag and even my toiletries. Because I'm lazy.....I like to have it ready to go and not repack these items each time I'm gone. 

This is the second cruise I took cards and didn't need them, because you can get them on the ship. I probably need to leave them off in the future on cruses. When I travel with my mom and sister, we play a lot of cards.

Finally, I am plus sized (1x or 2x and size 18/20). So my clothes aren't small.

I hope this helps someone who may want to pack lightly for a cruise (If you don't tha';s okay! This is just my style)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

You got me thinking, Panda, about the cross-body bag for your phone so you don't have to worry about dropping it.  "crossbody phone case. I can keep a credit card or room key in it, or small bills for tips. Its great for cruising and taking pictures. I wasn't worried reaching my phone out to take phots, because if I dropped it, it would just fall around my neck."   

I love taking photos and travelled for years with a tiny Diamage zoom camera that fits in a shirt pocket ... on a lanyard around my neck.  She finally died, and I've had fun with my phone the last couple of trips, so want to get used to just taking photos everywhere with it.  Where did you get your phone case ... or can you post a photo of it so I can go looking?   Many thanks.

Thank you for sharing your packing list! The last time I packed this efficiently was in 2007 when I met my husband in Germany while he was on military R&R. I always think I’m going to pack well then thrown in things “just in case” and almost never wear everything.  

I also enjoyed your “Live” review from the Escape. We’ll be on this ship in May for a 9-day Mediterranean cruise, so I’m ingesting as much as I can over the next 10 months so I know what to expect when we’re finally on board.

***I also would like to know what phone cross-body you have. I’m the picture taker and love cross-body bags, so it’s a win-win for me.***

Hi, this is the phone case. Not super cheap, but also not super pricey either.

LAMEEKU iPhone 13 Pro Wallet Case, RFID Card Holder Shockproof 6.1 Inch - Black https://a.co/d/6UPnmMJ

I bought it last summer so it’s been on maybe 4 or 5 cruises and still looks pretty new. I also liked it had a strap and not a chain…I don’t like chains (just my personal preference). 

With so many cruise lines using apps and with having the camera it’s great for a cruise. 

• Like 2

Thank you, Panda.  I don't have an i-phone ... know too many people who used to work for Steve Jobs, don't want anything to do with Apple!  Now that I know what it looks like, I'm sure I can find something suitable for my little cheapy Motorola android.

8 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

Thank you, Panda.  I don't have an i-phone ... know too many people who used to work for Steve Jobs, don't want anything to do with Apple!  Now that I know what it looks like, I'm sure I can find something suitable for my little cheapy Motorola android.

& I'm going to look for one for my Samsung Galaxy A32.

After having an airline lose a bag en route to the cruise and then having a cruise misplace my bag for morning pickup at the end of the cruise, I am fully committed to only ever doing carryon. I also resent paying $70 Cdn ($35 each direction) to check a bag (that may or may not make it there).

I've now done this successfully for a number of Caribbean cruises, but I'm about to try it for Alaska in September. I know this will be more of a challenge, but I'm determined to figure it out.

Edited by Musigurl
  • Like 2

Hi Musigurl.  husband and I did 2 week b2b Alaska cruise last year. You can definitely do it with carry on. We did find that the dress code was very relaxed. Evening wear 2 bottoms 3 dressy warm tops flashy accessories. Depending on your excursions we had waterproof hiking boots that I wore on the plane. Lightweight Water proof coat and pants. 2sets of Clothes to layer underneath to wash over night as needed.hat and gloves.I bring a large ziplock bag and sheets of laundry detergent. Leave clothes in the bag with soapy water to soak. Rinse out when I pop in the shower. Clothes dry fast in cruise bathroom, such great ventilation. Forget taking an umbrella the wind in wicked. Be Sure to check when the Northern lights are showing up. It was windy and cold on the deck at 2 am but fun.IMG_20220913_143042.jpg.100371cd7fb04f18c3642c64dd13ac05.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Musigurl said:

After having an airline lose a bag en route to the cruise and then having a cruise misplace my bag for morning pickup at the end of the cruise, I am fully committed to only ever doing carryon. I also resent paying $70 Cdn ($35 each direction) to check a bag (that may or may not make it there).

I've now done this successfully for a number of Caribbean cruises, but I'm about to try it for Alaska in September. I know this will be more of a challenge, but I'm determined to figure it out.

Wow, your experience might make this die-hard 'I want my stuff with me' think twice.  A nasty experience for sure.  Just for the record, bag fees can be eliminated with an affinity credit card.  An annual fee is much less painful than forking over extra money for every trip.  

3 hours ago, Musigurl said:

I have done two Alaskan cruises carry on only. One was 10 days, in and out of San Francisco. The other was a seven day Vancouver to Seward with 3 days in Vancouver pre-cruise and a 4 day post cruise Denali trip. It can be done.

This is one packing report I made from my cruise in 2022. I will say this cruise we had beautiful weather.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2872035-trip-report-packing-for-an-alaskan-cruise-in-a-carryon/#comment-64177533

This was for a Norwegian Fjords cruise (2019), which may have some similiarities to an Alaskan cruise packing list:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2675974-norwegian-fjords-cruise-packing-list/

This may be in a trip report somewhere, but I couldn't find it. But its what I took in 2019 with some comments about what worked and didn't. This was a rainy and cold trip!

"Dressy clothes"

• 1 pair of black dress pants (Anne Klein slim ankle  pants 68% viscose, 27% nylon & 5% elastane)
  • I tea length lace fit and flare dress
  • 1 knee length “dressy” floral dress
  • 2 dressy tops 
  • 1 pair of dressy flats

I brought one dress because my girlfriend did. I should've left it out. Also, I didn't really need the dress pants. My black slacks (below) would have been fine with a dressy top and nice shoes). So two items brought I didn't need. 

"Regular clothes"

• 1 pair of dark wash Belle by Kim Gravel jeggings (pull on 92% cotton & 8% spandex)
  • 1 pair Dark wash jeans
  • 1 pair of Black slacks 

These ended up being good choices. I was going to bring black leggings, but was really happy I chose the jeggings instead. They were comfy around the ship with my tunics, but also looked nice with the tops and flats. I was also going to just bring all black bottoms, but I liked having jeans. With different tops and shoes, I felt like I had a good variety of outfits.

• 1 ¼ button down denim like blouse
  • 1 white “dressy” tee
  • 2 comfy tunics (1 J Jill light blue and 1 Roz and Ali black and white stripe)
  • 1 nautical style tee from Chico’s
  • 1 rayon and spandex long  sleeved blue tee from Chicos 
  • 1 Eddie Bauer Gatecheck Tunic Tee Amethyst (casual)
  • 1 Chico's Zenergy blue, black, gray t-shirt (95% polyester, 5% spandex)

These all worked fine. The two casual tees were very lightweight, so brought along in case the weather ended up being nice, but could also be worn with a camisole under and a jacket if it was colder. However, I didn’t wear the white dressy tee  and could have used on less long sleeved tee. 

• Two knee length dresses (95% polyester and 5% spandex)

These dresses were for sleeping and as a swim coverup (not the pool but the Enclave at the spa).  Because they really were dresses and not actually pajamas/coverups, they gave me flexibility to wash and use for another reason. The only reason I liked the second dress was because I went to the spa every day, so it made things easier. 

• 1 pair ankle rain boots (Chelsea style)
  • 1 pair skechers
  • 1 pair keen mary janes 
  • 1 pair of dressy flats (noted above)

I also really went back and forth about shoe selection. Because our excursions were not heavily athletic, I went with a basic rain boot but added good support. Instead of flip flops for the spa, I brought a pair of skechers. That way I had two pairs for ship days, or to wear on excursions if the weather was nicer. I definitely didn’t need the two flats. 

• 1 Chico’s puffer jacket
  • 1 Eddie Bauer packable rain jacket
  • 1 Chico’s weekenders ¾ sleeve jacket (sweatshirt style, but zip up and dressier-not fleece)
  • 1 Ann Taylor lightweight cardigan sweater

I get cold! I knew I’d need more outerwear. The puffer jacket and rain jacket were new, bought just for this trip. The puffer jacket was awesome…so lightweight, but so nice and warm. I was also surprised how warm the rain jacket kept me with just a lightweight jacket. I had a 8 ½ x 11 zipper pouch out of lightweight fabric (very lightweight). I packed the puffer jacket in it so I had a little pillow. The rain jacket fit into its own packet. Both condensed down so easily they were a dream to pack. These were all used. 

• 3 bras
  • 5 underwear
  • 2 camisole/undershirts
  • 2 tights (nude and black)
  • 1 pair gloves
  • 1 pashmina
  • 1 neck gaiter
  • 3 lightweight wool socks
  • 2 trouser socks

These are were fine. I did wear the tights, but it wasn't THAT cold and I could have just had one pair. I used the gloves and pashmina frequently. The neck gaiter came in really handy as well. With socks on my feet, an undershirt and tights and the neck gaiter and pashmina, it didn’t matter that my jacket wasn't super warm. In fact, except on the Glacier Bay day, I often took off my jacket.

On 7/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, PandaBear62 said:

Hi, I often post my packing lists but I don't always share how it worked out. For this one, I didn't post pre-cruise, so am sharing a "how it went post" and "things I might do differently".

Nice idea!  I've reviewed my choices for my own use but have never thought about analyzing for this board.  

Packing List:

Clothes

5 sleeveless dresses 

2 very lightweight cardigans in taupe and navy blue

2 pairs Athleta Brooklyn style pants in taupe and navy blue

4 sleeveless tops (essentially mix and match with both pants)

1 nightgown

2 one piece swim suits

3 shoes: one skechers slip on (not sneaker style), one pair Teva sandals (blue color, a little dressier than the rainbow style)

7 pairs underwear

3 bras

5 no show socks

2 very lighweight slip shorts in taupe and navy

1 packable hat

Nice choices.  I particularly like your color scheme, as it isn't plain old black!  One piece of advice:  I wouldn't pack a packable tote; rather, I'd use it as my carry-on ... cuts down on one bag.  

I didn't wear the hat much, but that was in part because I traveled with my 87 year old mom, so did very little excursions. I wear a lot more when dh and I travel and would continue to bring it.

Every trip isn't the same.  

I appreciated two suits. We didn't necessarily go in the pool every day, but it was great not to have to put on a damp suit. I don't think I'll ever only take one again!

Oh, yes, even for a short cruise, two swim suits are a minimum number --especially if you wear Lands End (or similar suits that are a little heavier /have more support).  If I'm planning a water-based excursion and expect to wear a suit for a whole day, I'll bring a third, assuming that wearing it all day will be "enough". 

I don't bring water shoes unless we're planning an active water-based excursion.  

My electronics kit has become a dumping ground for lots of cords, chargers, etc/ I really need to clean it out-I was way too may unneeded items

I found out (accidentally) that my Kindle cord will charge my phone ... but my phone won't charge my Kindle.  I don't have /need a "dumping ground" for electronics.  We each bring a phone, I bring a Kindle and the one charging cord, and a camera (with a couple batteries).  

Same with my OTC meds bag. I packed it for a 16 day cruise and had way more items than I needed, especially considering I was "on land" for over half the trip.

Yes to bringing extra prescription medicines.  They take up no space, and IF you were to be delayed, they'd be almost impossible to replace.  

Because I'm lazy.....I like to have it ready to go and not repack these items each time I'm gone. 

I repack /top off my toiletries when I get home.  That way they're always ready for the next trip.  

8 hours ago, Musigurl said:

After having an airline lose a bag en route to the cruise and then having a cruise misplace my bag for morning pickup at the end of the cruise, I am fully committed to only ever doing carryon. 

Me too.  We purposefully own only carry-on luggage.  For a short trip, my husband and I share one ... for a longer trip, we each take one.  

5 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Just for the record, bag fees can be eliminated with an affinity credit card.  An annual fee is much less painful than forking over extra money for every trip.  

I hear what you're saying, and avoiding a fee is good ... but it doesn't keep your luggage from going astray.  

4 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

1 ¼ button down denim like blouse

A denim or chambray button-down is such a practical item to pack.  It can work as a shirt or a light jacket.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1