Trip Report: Packing for an Alaskan Cruise in a Carryon

PandaBear62

I am typically someone who packs a 21” carry on roller and a personal item tote. For this trip, we were driving to the port, so I could realistically bring whatever I wanted. However, I know myself, and I don’t like being overwhelmed by clothing choices when I travel. I also don’t mind doing a quick load of laundry, especially with a cruise with as many sea days as this one. 

While I adore dresses for warm weather trips, I didn’t take any on this trip, with the exception of one as a cover-up for my swim suit (I wasn’t if I’d use the Enclave or hot tub, but wanted to be prepared in case I did). 

I'm also not a big  "souvenir" person (I am trying to de-clutter my house, not add more to it!). So I don't need room for extra "stuff". The items I typically buy are these:

**small sized keychains (I take off the keychain part and tie a ribbon and use as a Christmas ornament on my small, tabletop "travel tree")

**a foldable tote for grocery bags. We live in an area where you have to bring your own bags and I enjoy using bags that have a place I've traveled to

**occasionally, a very small (think 3"x 3") painting on canvas that can go on a shelf.

**small food items

My bags were a Travelpro rolling carryon and a Kipling Sasha tote. 

Our cruise was 10 days round trip from San Francisco.

This is what I packed:

Bottoms:

1 pair black ponte knit slacks 

1 pair floral pants (black and navy)

1 pair of black joggers

1 pair of black and white lightweight pinstripe pants

1 pair dressy black pants

Tops

black and white stripe long sleeve tunic

Black and white polka dot ¾ sleeve blouse

Blue and black sleeveless floral sleeveless  blouse

Red short sleeve swing tee

Blue short sleeve swing tee

Black ¾ sleeve swing tee

Gray ¾ sleeve tee

Royal blue short sleeve tee

2 “dressy” tops 1: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N7CJSJR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1 and 2: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SF3VRTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1)

Misc Clothes

Swim suit

Underwear  6

Bras  3

Socks  (I brought a couple “knee hi’s, 1 pair wool socks, and 6 pairs ankle socks)

Cold weather clothes

Soft  gaiter

Magic gloves

Black pashmina

2 pairs black tights

2 under tees (performance wear)

Outerwear

Black very lightweight ¾ sleeve open cardigan (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089GDT39J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Lightweight DCL windbreaker with hood  (https://www.ebay.com/itm/175349639392?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=175349639392&targetid=1531876733918&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9032171&poi=&campaignid=15431381266&mkgroupid=128740829685&rlsatarget=pla-1531876733918&abcId=9300764&merchantid=114692613&gclid=CjwKCAjw6MKXBhA5EiwANWLODCMlrBxD0RkVJ2GY1mO9YBltd6B3phtzf8HyZac9b_CRHe4kppLXZRoCZX4QAvD_BwE

A down jacket (not that great of quality, but used it on last Alaskan cruise)

Shoes

Sneakers

May jane style sneakers

Arch support slip on shoes (think skechers style but more arch support)

Dress flats (with arch support)

Misc

iPad mini

Kindle

Electronics cords and chargers

Games (Code names, 3 decks cards, Left Right center, Yahtzee)

Toiletries

Umbrellas (2)

OTC meds such as bonine, ibuprofen, etc

This included what I wore the first day. So between what I wore and and what I packed, it all fit in my carryons. 

Our weather ended up being quite temperate, so I only wore the tights and undershirt once. I also ended up not booking the thermal spa and didn’t go to the hot tub, so didn’t use the swim suit or cover up, but I don’t regret carrying these items…..you just don’t know. Because we were were a group of 7, I did a lot less "solitary" time.  I also could have done with one less pair of shoes as well, but again, had it been really rainy I might have needed the second pair for excursions.

I wore everything else. I could have easily left out one pair of pants and two tops, but the variety was nice. 

We did one load of laundry on about day 6.

I had nice clothes for formal nights and felt my level of “dressiness” was on par with about 60% of passengers. I’d say 20% dressed very casually on gala nights and maybe 20% were much more dressy. I wore my black flats but added shoe clips (one night rhinestones and the other night a flower) so I felt that added an “extra” dressy touch.

I brought back one shopping bag, a couple of keychains and a couple of candies. 

What I would do differently:

I’d probably pack one less pair of pants and two less tops and bring two or three more lightweight cardigan style outerwear. I found I liked a second layer I could wear over my tops and most of the time, that’s all people saw. I would have preferred the variety of the cardigans and wearing the same tops.

I liked slipping my feet into a lightweight pair of shoes after excursions, but I could have done without them if the packing space was tight.

Otherwise, I was pleased with what I packed

Please feel free to ask any questions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

PandaBear, good job! I’ve been traveling with only a 21” roll aboard and a tote for many years. While it’s good to have a few extras (just in case😉) I agree that a lot of extra clothes can be overwhelming.  I am not one to use drawers in hotels, ships etc so managing just one piece of luggage is much easier for me. 

On one of our trips we shared a hotel shuttle with 2 other couples that we didn’t know but who were also headed for the same 11 night cruise. One of the women asked me if my other bag was delayed. I said nope this is it. She was shocked. Later I overheard her tell her friend that “I bet that woman with just one small bag only has 3 outfits with her and will be wearing the same things over and over” I laughed to myself knowing that she had no idea what she was talking about. 

• Like 3

On 8/8/2022 at 9:56 PM, purduemom1 said:

PandaBear, good job! I’ve been traveling with only a 21” roll aboard and a tote for many years. ...I laughed to myself knowing that she had no idea what she was talking about. 

We have been travelling (cruise and land) with roll-aboard and knapsacks or totes, since the (land) trip when we got off the plane in Dublin... but our checked bags did not. While waiting for those bags, we missed our shuttle. But in the meantime, I calculated that we would be good with just what I had cross-packed in our carryons. 

Our bags were delivered to the hotel by "tea-time" (aka early evening?), but the realization stuck with me. I even have a selection of hats that roll up on themselves!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@crystalspin, what are the hats you have that fold into themselves? I love a hat, and I also find that bringing a couple of headbands, pretty barrets etc. can help if you don't want to wash your hair daily and using hair accessories you can extend the "life" of your hair before washing again. At least for me!

Not sure how you got all that stuff in just a carry on either!

I sometimes wonder if I should give it a try but then I realize I would not be happy with it so I just pack the way I pack, 1 checked bag and 1 carry on. I don't get overwhelmed with my choices as bringing a few extra tops is always in my mind. 

Right now I am sitting in the United Polaris Lounge at Newark Airport. I have a flight to Quebec later for an 11 night cruise tomorrow  around Quebec and down to New England ending in NY City. My checked bag didn't even weigh 42 lbs but there is no way it would have all fit in my carry on. 

Anyway, maybe I will start another thread and post what I actually did pack (when I get back).

• 2 weeks later...