Rental Car Pickup from SFO but return at Pier 27?

SuzieQ521

Hello:

We have family that are arriving the afternoon before their November Princess Cruise out of SF--6 adults.

They will be staying the night with another family member in Redwood City. They were thinking of renting a car from SFO after their flight lands (I guess it would have to be a very large SUV/van to fit 6 people plus luggage) and then dropping it off near the Port right before embarkation the next morning.

It appears there are possible rental places near Fisherman's Wharf which seems like the closest to the Port--has anyone ever done anything like this?

Otherwise, I think their best bet would be to get a couple Lyfts/Ubers from airport to Redwood City, then again the next morning to the Port. Or if anyone has any recommendations on shuttle companies, that would be great. A couple of them are mobility-challenged so BART is out of the question (and they will have a lot of luggage).

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Otherwise, I think their best bet would be to get a couple Lyfts/Ubers from airport to Redwood City, then again the next morning to the Port. Or if anyone has any recommendations on shuttle companies, that would be great.

Uber/Lyft will 100% be a better option than a one way rental car rental from an owned/managed rental car station at the airport to a most likely franchised one in town. The one way drop fee will most likely be substantial. 

• Thanks 1

Unless you arrive off-peak or "club membership" with the rental car company that allows you to just drive off the lot, by the time you get your car, you could be in Redwood City. 

I recently rented a minivan at SFO mid-morning and was in line for about 45 minutes to get to the counter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philob said:

I recently rented a minivan at SFO mid-morning and was in line for about 45 minutes to get to the counter.

Exactly why I have Hertz Gold Club.  In the last ten years I haven't even gone to the counter, just walk to the lot and take what I want.  

• Like 1