Getting from Piraeus to Athens National Archaeological Museum

mar214

Need help after docking in Piraeus with quick transportation to the National Archaeological Museum in Athens in October. We reached out to a few companies but that didn't work out. George's Taxi said they only book tours, for example. There are 3 other ships docking with ours, 1 docking at 6 am with us. Will we have trouble getting an Uber? We need your help in where we should head after disembarking. Thanks so much!

There were many, many taxis waiting at our dock in Athen when I disembarked in May.  

Not all of them may be happy to only take a fare into Athens.  I got in the first cab in line as instructed by a traffic officer.  After about a mile of the driver trying to convince me to take a longer ride, he told me that he was going to drop me off at another taxi stand so I could take another taxi.  I resisted, but he persisted.  After a bit of a shouting match, I agreed to be let out so that could just get away from him.  He did not charge me anything for the short ride.  From what I hear, this is an unusual occurrence, however.  I suggest you do the taxi, but make sure the driver is happily taking you.  If not, move to the next taxi.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Taxi would be the fastest way to get there.

If you have a bit more time, you could take the local bus to the train station and then take the Green line (M1) directly to the Victoria stop -- no change of trains needed. Victoria is just a few blocks (about a 10-minute walk) from the National Archaeological Museum.

1 hour ago, mar214 said:

If we want to avoid an international dispute and just take an Uber, where would we get one? Do we have to move away from the dock area? Thank so much for the suggestions!!!!!!!

Last I heard, Uber only gets you a taxi in Greece.

Just use a regular taxi and agree on the destination and price before you get in.  MeHeartCruising had a bad experience, but we have used taxis in Athens many times without problems. 

48 minutes ago, marazul said:

MeHeartCruising had a bad experience, but we have used taxis in Athens many times without problems. 

Same here. 

Just be clear with them at the start that you're not looking for a full-day tour.

9 hours ago, mar214 said:

Need help after docking in Piraeus with quick transportation to the National Archaeological Museum in Athens in October. We reached out to a few companies but that didn't work out. George's Taxi said they only book tours, for example. There are 3 other ships docking with ours, 1 docking at 6 am with us. Will we have trouble getting an Uber? We need your help in where we should head after disembarking. Thanks so much!

I thought George’s Taxi also did transfers.    

if you still want a private service vs taxi.  Did you try Welcome Pickup.. it looks like they would do it as a transfer.

We were just in Piraeus/Athens last week. We got a cab from the cruise terminal to take us to the meeting place for our prebooked walking tour (near the entrance to the Acropolis). There were tons available. It was 20 Euro to the place where we were meeting. The driver was very nice and told us lots about Athens on the drive and didn't seem bothered to only be driving us into Athens. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 8:20 PM, majmaj4 said:

I thought George’s Taxi also did transfers.  

Transfers mean you and your luggage to/from port/airport/hotel. It is a "limo" service,  not a taxi service. The transfer service includes personal pickup at the terminal, help with your luggage, etc.  The taxi is just an unscheduled pickup at a taxi line or the street.

It's probably an issue of licensing for rides within the city so the transfer companies are not in competition with ordinary taxis for rides. That is why they will take you to the museum with a tour, but not just a ride.

It looks like the George’s Taxi website allows you to pick any address for the transfer from the port; so it looks like you could select the museum.  even if not, they  could pick a hotel next door if they really wanted private service vs taxi.    But I think the OP did pick a normal taxi instead.

We were in Athens in April. Right at the dock we bought Hop On Hop Off tickets. From Piraeus it takes you to the main hub for all the bus companies. From there we caught the bus that stops directly in front of the museum. Then caught the bus later and visited other areas of the city. At the end of the day, went back to the main hub and caught bus back to the ship. Lots of buses, very convenient we thought. Reasonable price.  I know in other cities, these buses can be hit or miss, but Athens seems to have this well thought out.

• Like 1