Ovation-Update on the Restaurant

texanaust

We are currently on the Ovation Copenhagen-Iceland RT cruise that departed on July 23.  Unfortunately the Restaurant is closed for breakfast and lunch other than sea days.  I believe SLSD said that they would be open going forward, but after speaking with the F&B manager, this is untrue.  Corporate has made the decision to save money and staff, and keep this venue closed.  It was also suggested (implied) that TK may be on its way out.  The Colonnade has not had any TK nights so far this cruise.  

403 staff for almost 600 passengers as per the Captain, something has to give.  In the past the staff to passenger ratio was much higher so I imagine opening additional restaurants for breakfast/lunch was easier back then.  Apart from that, the staff are excellent, the food okay to very good, and the entertainers also excellent.  The current production singers are the best we've seen on Seabourn.  

Overall a mixed bag so far, but we've been having a great time.  Seabourn definitely wins on entertainment (trivia has been fun), but culinary excellence is easily surpassed by Silversea.  

• Thanks 1

What a disappointment.  We were DEFINITELY told while on board by the manager of The Restaurant that it would be open every day for breakfast and for lunch--and it was.  He said that this was across the fleet--so obviously there has been a reversal of this policy.  This will severely limit our choices going forward for dining.   We found the food to be just OK--tasting ok, but not exceptional in any way.  Others may see that differently of course.  Food is so subjective.  

Not having any TK nights in the Colonnade may be a money saving move as well.  

I'm beginning to think there isn't a cruise line for someone like me--a bit nerdy, ambience important while dining (breakfast, lunch and dinner), likes serene settings, doesn't like snobby imperious fellow cruisers, doesn't want to make reservations for meals, doesn't want to bring formal wear in my carry on.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

This is disappointing, particularly on an itinerary such as this one where the weather may be iffy, placing huge demand on the Colonnade.

Thank you for updating texanaust, enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

29 minutes ago, SLSD said:

What a disappointment.  We were DEFINITELY told while on board by the manager of The Restaurant that it would be open every day for breakfast and for lunch--and it was.  He said that this was across the fleet--so obviously there has been a reversal of this policy.  This will severely limit our choices going forward for dining.   We found the food to be just OK--tasting ok, but not exceptional in any way.  Others may see that differently of course.  Food is so subjective.  

Not having any TK nights in the Colonnade may be a money saving move as well.  

I'm beginning to think there isn't a cruise line for someone like me--a bit nerdy, ambience important while dining (breakfast, lunch and dinner), likes serene settings, doesn't like snobby imperious fellow cruisers, doesn't want to make reservations for meals, doesn't want to bring formal wear in my carry on.  

This cruiser is on the lookout for pretty much the same, except for formal wear. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

This cruiser is on the lookout for pretty much the same, except for formal wear. 

i just don't want to take a lot of luggage--but I know that has been overly discussed already.  i just like dining in the Colonnade unless out on the Veranda and we absolutely WILL NOT do a buffet--and that is not always possible due to weather etc.  I know these are elitist issues (not using the word first world), but we all like what we like.  We do enjoy lunching in various ports when possible and when we can find a really nice/interesting place to do that. 

Isklaar, have you tried Silversea?  I know Markham is a proponent of their newer (larger) ships.  We sailed with them years ago.  I think it was the Cloud, but I can't even remember at this point.  Mr. SLSD is very resistant to changing from SB and I just have this picture in. my mind of very stuffy people.  

For some reason, Regent has never really interested me.  There is the new Crystal--waiting to see how their first voyages go.  

Seabourn is pretty perfect for us when they are in top form (which. means more dining choices, not less) and when the chef is top notch.  I think I may be writing a letter to the new president,  

Edited by SLSD

28 minutes ago, SLSD said:

i just don't want to take a lot of luggage--but I know that has been overly discussed already.  i just like dining in the Colonnade unless out on the Veranda and we absolutely WILL NOT do a buffet--and that is not always possible due to weather etc.  I know these are elitist issues (not using the word first world), but we all like what we like.  We do enjoy lunching in various ports when possible and when we can find a really nice/interesting place to do that. 

Isklaar, have you tried Silversea?  I know Markham is a proponent of their newer (larger) ships.  We sailed with them years ago.  I think it was the Cloud, but I can't even remember at this point.  Mr. SLSD is very resistant to changing from SB and I just have this picture in. my mind of very stuffy people.  

For some reason, Regent has never really interested me.  There is the new Crystal--waiting to see how their first voyages go.  

Seabourn is pretty perfect for us when they are in top form (which. means more dining choices, not less) and when the chef is top notch.  I think I may be writing a letter to the new president,  

Should read DON'T like dining in the Colonnade unless on the Veranda.  I know that for us cruising is about the destinations and not about the ship so much--but we ARE signing up for a luxury cruise and DO expect luxury options for dining.  

• Like 2

There is a Thomas Keller night in the Colonade on Friday, I know this because we have a reservation for it. I believe it is a BBQ night.

The Restaurant is not open for lunch on port days, but is open for breakfast on port days according to Seaboirn Source hours.

I have been happy with the food for the most part, but food is subjective. I didn’t care for the French Onion soup. I have had much better elsewhere. Not subjective however, I ordered something that was just not done right, chicken breast was tough and dry. It happens, I am definitely not going hungry. The waiter asked how my meal was and I politely answered honestly that the service was wonderful and most of the meal excellent with the exception of the chicken. The next evening I returned to my suite to find  a plate of macrons, chocolates and chocolate covered strawberries, with an apology for missed expectations. I felt it was a nice gesture. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, imescaping said:

There is a Thomas Keller night in the Colonade on Friday, I know this because we have a reservation for it. I believe it is a BBQ night.

The Restaurant is not open for lunch on port days, but is open for breakfast on port days according to Seaboirn Source hours.

I have been happy with the food for the most part, but food is subjective. I didn’t care for the French Onion soup. I have had much better elsewhere. Not subjective however, I ordered something that was just not done right, chicken breast was tough and dry. It happens, I am definitely not going hungry. The waiter asked how my meal was and I politely answered honestly that the service was wonderful and most of the meal excellent with the exception of the chicken. The next evening I returned to my suite to find  a plate of macrons, chocolates and chocolate covered strawberries, with an apology for missed expectations. I felt it was a nice gesture. 

It was not open in Gothenberg.

By the way SLSD, we switched to Cristian in the main dining room and he is excellent.   His station is now by the windows which is even better.  

1 hour ago, imescaping said:

We had breakfast this morning in the Restaurant and it was a ghost town. That could have been due to the rough seas yesterday. Lots of passengers were suffering from mal de mer. My peeve is that it’s only open from 8am to 9am for breakfast. I know I like to sleep in on sea days, so closing at 9am makes it a challenge to get there for us. We dislike buffets and try to avoid them, and we only do room service when we have an early excursion. 

I second the comments regarding Christian…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

It was not open in Gothenberg.

By the way SLSD, we switched to Cristian in the main dining room and he is excellent.   His station is now by the windows which is even better.  

I am so glad to hear that!  And yes, a station by the windows is so much better than in the middle of the dining room.  

40 minutes ago, caviarforme said:

Just to confirm that on Encore  last week the MDR was closed for Breakfast and lunch every port day - which was every day.

Seems SLSD was mis-informed

I think the policy was changed.  I was not misinformed.  The restaurant manager told me himself and said it was effective as of the beginning of our cruise.Other people on our cruise were told the same, including one of the posters here who verified that he was also told this.    Since our cruise, it has changed.  I'll check with friends who were on the cruise right after ours and see what was happening then.  

Edited by SLSD

I'll be severely disappointed if they do away with Keller fried chicken nights!  That is one of my favorite meals on Seabourn!

We are doing a crossing in April, with only one port day.  I do hope the restaurant will be open for lunch on this cruise, because I will get awfully tired of the Colonnade and Patio Grill for lunch every day if the restaurant isn't an option.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

I'll be severely disappointed if they do away with Keller fried chicken nights!  That is one of my favorite meals on Seabourn!

We are doing a crossing in April, with only one port day.  I do hope the restaurant will be open for lunch on this cruise, because I will get awfully tired of the Colonnade and Patio Grill for lunch every day if the restaurant isn't an option.

And sometimes in inclement weather, the Patio Grill and Veranda of the Colonnade are not options.  I know not everyone understands an aversion to buffet dining in the Colonnade.  Some people really love it.  One of our Seabourn friends calls it "eating at the trough".  I laugh every time I remember him saying that, but I totally agree with him.  It reeks of mass market cruising to me.  I KNOW that having the dining room open with its own printed menu and staff for breakfast and lunch is costly--but so is taking a Seabourn cruise.  

• Like 1

The patio (Earth and Ocean) was closed due to weather last night and breakfast today. (Wed 8/26) it was quite cold outside. Which made for a very crowded Colonnade. There were people sitting outside, but unless you get a seat close to the windows, the heaters don’t help much against the bitter wind. 

17 minutes ago, imescaping said:

The patio (Earth and Ocean) was closed due to weather last night and breakfast today. (Wed 8/26) it was quite cold outside. Which made for a very crowded Colonnade. There were people sitting outside, but unless you get a seat close to the windows, the heaters don’t help much against the bitter wind. 

Very true.  Why didn't they open The Restaurant for breakfast at least?  Are you on Ovation?

TK at the Colonnade is still on.  Friday night will be ribs, so I guess once per week, but the word is still that TK's days might be numbered.  As others will attest, this cruise has had some pretty bad weather so far and Earth & Ocean is not a protected venue.  Tonight we had an excellent meal at TK.  Chef Michael (who is a fixer/floater chef) is now onboard and he reinstated the TK dailies.  We had the oyster appetiser which was fantastic.

Tomorrow is a port day in Iceland.  Breakfast is open, but lunch is closed according to the Herald.  I guess that was the compromise for this cruise.  

Texanaust , would you please ask Christian if he will be on the Ovation on November 29 till mid November ?  Thanks . 
I am not a buffet person and i am disappointed that the Restaurant is closed on port days for lunch . I guess I will be in Sushi for lunch then . On the other hand , I can comprehend the economics of closing down the Restaurant . In April on Encore , there were  around twenty something diners on port days only. 

I have been asked to participate in a virtual conversation about my expectations for a luxury cruise.  You can be assured that I will be asserting (in a nice polite  way) that I DO expect options for lunch which include The Restaurant.  Dining at The Colonnade for lunch (especially if the veranda is not available due to weather or being full) is just not an option for those of us who never do buffets.  I truly do want to continue with Seabourn.  We love so many things about it.  We are not picky people except for the fact that we don't ever do buffets.  I look forward to the virtual conversation which they say will include others and be an hour long,  

By the way, SB is proposing to pay me $200 for my participation.  I would gladly participate without remuneration.  The fact that they are paying worries me. What kind of people do they think we are?  Comments welcomed.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I think the policy was changed.  I was not misinformed.  The restaurant manager told me himself and said it was effective as of the beginning of our cruise.Other people on our cruise were told the same, including one of the posters here who verified that he was also told this.    Since our cruise, it has changed.  I'll check with friends who were on the cruise right after ours and see what was happening then.  

Susan (SLSD) I’ll back you up on this. We were on the sailing with you and were told precisely the same thing.  On the other hand I’ve posted elsewhere that I’ve been monitoring Odyssey for our upcoming sailing and have noted that the restaurant is reliably closed for port days, of which there are many in Alaska.  We, like you, strongly prefer being served and simply won’t pay SB prices to carry our own plates, however nice the buffet.  What I dislike even more is the bad information.  As you know the restaurant was, in fact, open every meal on our June sailing, we enjoyed it often and frequently were joined by up to a hundred (my estimate) other sailors.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Susan (SLSD) I’ll back you up on this. We were on the sailing with you and were told precisely the same thing.  On the other hand I’ve posted elsewhere that I’ve been monitoring Odyssey for our upcoming sailing and have noted that the restaurant is reliably closed for port days, of which there are many in Alaska.  We, like you, strongly prefer being served and simply won’t pay SB prices to carry our own plates, however nice the buffet.  What I dislike even more is the bad information.  As you know the restaurant was, in fact, open every meal on our June sailing, we enjoyed it often and frequently were joined by up to a hundred (my estimate) other sailors.

Exactly Jon ( and thank you) .  And I remember that your wife will not do buffets and you bring her the plate.  For us, it's not about carrying a plate--but about the buffet itself.  I have DONE buffets on SB.  I don't want to see what I have seen.  I don't want to handle utensils with scores of others.  I am not a germophobic, but I am extremely cautious on cruises- (even before Covid) because I want to enjoy the entire cruise and not become ill.  Additionally, I don't enjoy a panoply of food.  I like to order from a menu.  

Edited by SLSD

5 hours ago, SDuckers said:

I'll be severely disappointed if they do away with Keller fried chicken nights! 

Likewise!  If you're on the Ovation crossing in April keep in mind they don't do the fried chicken nights on Ovation or Encore (or at least previously did not).  Apparently, Keller requires a special fryer that could not be installed on the bigger ships.  

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

You can be assured that I will be asserting (in a nice polite  way) that I DO expect options for lunch which include The Restaurant.

Thank you for speaking up on this!  Recent voyages for us when it has been open for lunch had a decent number of people taking advantage of that option, and I wish it would become just a standard option instead of this odd guessing game of whether it will be or not.  

• Like 1

I would be curious to know the breakdown of port intensive cruises how many passengers are at lunch in the Restaurant on port days versus sea days? I know on our recent Quest cruise it was fairly busy on sea days  but as I am usually eating onshore on port days I have no knowledge of how busy it is then.

With regards to opening times for breakfast how does this compare with Regent, Silversea and the new Crystal for their main restaurant open times?

Edited by frantic36

8 hours ago, SLSD said:

I think the policy was changed.  I was not misinformed.  The restaurant manager told me himself and said it was effective as of the beginning of our cruise.

@SLSD I don't doubt that that is what you were told, but it's more likely that you were misinformed because the person who told you was misinformed. It seems less likely that they changed the policy to open the Restaurant for breakfast and lunch and then reversed that decision almost immediately. There have been other cruisers who have reported here and on FB since your cruise that the Restaurant has not been open every day; I just don't think there was a fleet-wide change and then reversal. I'd guess they have criteria for when they open the Restaurant: passenger load may be a factor; ports may be a factor; staff levels may be a factor.

• Like 1