Alaskan Cruise in Late September/Early October

Fietsen1

Hello all,

My wife and I are thinking of taking an Alaskan cruise in late September/early October. Our one and only concern is RAIN. We used to live in Vancouver, BC so we are used to that type of rain. We currently live in Texas which has downpours. We can deal with the BC rain, but not downpours. Based on experience, what is the weather like at the Alaskan port-of-calls during these months?

Thank you,

A little reading around the board would give you a lot of comments. Some will say they had good weather. We had sleet on Labor Day. It has been so windy ships have been damaged. Weather changes hourly in Alaska,  so you can have nice days, or very stormy. 

@Fietsen1:  Another poster recently asked the same question.  I will post essentially the same information I posted on that thread.  I've been in SE Alaska on business in mid-October.  Anyone cruising at that time frame should be prepared for heavy, pelting rain, wind and cold temperatures.  Seas can be on the rough side.  Those who have reported good weather during that time period should consider themselves lucky indeed.

• Thanks 1

We sailed mid-September and had moderate weather - some rain and some nice days.  In port lots of things were already closing for the season and the last of the salmon had already run so that changed the feeling from cruises we had done at other times of the season.  

• Thanks 1

Have sailed two previous Alaska/West coast cruises in mid to late september. In Juneau both times we had good weather, Ketchikan one sunny visit one rainy visit. Skagway two sunny visits. Seas were never really that rough and glacier viewing days tended to be overcast and cloudy but no substantial weather to talk about.

We are heading out on a 2 week cruise leaving September 6th this year so will just take it as it comes I guess. Dress in layers so its easy to stay warm and dry or cool and drunk..I mean..dry...lol

• Thanks 1