Book Now or Book Later Deposit $200 on non-refundable fare

whattodo

On my last cruise in early 2023, I paid $200 for Book Later Deposit which allows 6 months to select the future cruise to put the deposit on. I contacted Celebrity few weeks ago for information about a cruise and they asked me to call the travel company. Apparently , they have assigned the deposit to the same agent that I booked the last cruise with. I do not have an assigned agent at the travel company and the ones I spoke with seemed to be unfamiliar with the features and benefits of Celebrity's Book Later Deposit because they kept asking me for $900 deposit. This issue was resolved after a few phone calls and they accepted $200 as nonrefundable deposit. When I received the confirmation, it shows 'Nonrefundable deposit $900 and $200 credit' was applied. It looks wrong to me because I think it should say Nonrefundable deposit $200 was paid.   

In the event if I cancel the cruise, am I out $200 nonrefundable deposit because my booking's nonrefundable deposit was $200? Or do I owe the normal $900? I would like to gather more facts of the rules before spending more time on the phone. Please chime in on your experience. Thank you. 

Yes unless specified at the time of booking onboard the new reservation is assigned to the TA who booked that sailing.

Since you paid the deposit onboard you owe no more money on the reservation until final payment.  If you cancel your NRD anytime before final payment is made you will only be out the $200.

This does bring up the case that if you make final payment early (prior to the actual final payment date) and you then cancel before the Celebrity final payment date you will be out the full deposit of $900 and the remainder would be refunded as you aren't in the penalty phase yet.   For this reason I wouldn't make final payment until a day or 2 before the date given on your Celebrity invoice.   Some TA's ask for it 2-4 weeks early to make sure it all goes through ok.

Given what you have described I would also be looking for a new TA and make sure if booking onboard again to make sure that they assign to your new TA or just keep it with Celebrity and shop for a TA when you get home.  You have 30 days to assign to a TA after booking.

• Like 1

This TA is not playing fair with you. See if you can move the reservation back to X. There is some sort of procedure where you have to tell Celebrity that your current TA is not taking care of your booking properly ( and he is not as the $200 is all you are required for down payment and nothing else due until final pay date). So you need to call Celebrity and ask how to take this back from the TA. You can then leave it with X or take it to another TA. 

I think the issue with the TA is more not being knowledgeable about the cruise later certificate.  Probably not grounds for pulling the reservation from a TA unless the TA agrees to give it up.

I assume the invoice stating the $900 deposit $200 paid is an invoice from the TA as I looked at my Celebrity Guest Invoice and it doesn't state the deposit amount.   To be sure I would request the OP as the TA to provide the Celebrity Guest Invoice in addition.  Most TAs will do this, another red flag if they won't.

The confirmation is from the agency. It states NRD $900, credit $200. It also has a chart of penalty amounts for cancellation before sail date. It shows 'Non-refundable $900 before final payment date'. That's what caught my attention first and that prompted me to look closer at the invoice. 

Thanks for your input wrk2cruise & 39august. I feel more confident to ask the agency to change the invoice. I appreciate your quick response! 🙂 

• Like 1