Lindblad versus Swan Hellenic

Rocky.douge

I’m looking at doing an Antarctica cruise toward the end of 2023. Currently considering either Lindblad or Swan Hellenic. Would appreciate input on pros/cons of these two cruise lines. Would especially like to hear from anyone that has cruised with both lines. Thank you for your input.

Swan Hellenic is very new so we have only had one trip report on Trip Advisor so far. 
https://antarcticafaqs.boards.net/thread/438/swan-hellenic

Lindblad on the other hand have been operating expeditions in Antarctica for decades. I would consider them equal to Quark with over 30 years in the industry. 
Link to some trip reports on Trip Advisor over the years. 
https://antarcticafaqs.boards.net/thread/14/lindblad-expeditions-national-geographic

Edited by PerfectlyPerth

I have shared a couple of YouTube links of the vlogs of this YouTuber who had Antarctica with Swan Hellenic. I think they are pretty good.

I am in the process of deciding a cruise for myself as well for December this year. I have been doing a lot of research for the past 3 months or so. Since I am a single person, I am leaning more towards Ponant. I will be booking one soon.

Good luck with your search!

On 7/26/2023 at 4:07 PM, Rocky.douge said:

I’m looking at doing an Antarctica cruise toward the end of 2023. Currently considering either Lindblad or Swan Hellenic. Would appreciate input on pros/cons of these two cruise lines. Would especially like to hear from anyone that has cruised with both lines. Thank you for your input.

I have not cruised on either line but my brother has done several Lindblad cruises and he has liked all of them.  In fact he is doing another one this summer.  I should add that he has never done one to Antarctica.

I should add that although we are not allowed to recommend any TAs there were several out there that specialize in just Antarctica cruises.  You will have to do your own research to find them.  When I did my South Georgia cruise I used one of them and they  were very useful.

I do want to make a response to DanJimmy's comment about Ponant and this is totally a personal opinion.  I can't understand why people spend a very large amount of money to take luxury cruises to Antarctica.  We have done 2 cruises to the Antarctic regions.  One was many years ago on one of the Hurtigruten ships and a more recent one to South Georgia and the Falklands.  The recent one was on a  comfortable ship with good food, a small cabin with some but not a lot of amenities and a fantastic  expedition team.   After all you are taking the cruise for what is outside of the ship and not for what is on the ship.  Get me to Antarctica and show me a great time.  Who needs high class meals, fancy on board stuff and a large luxurious cab.  Just my opinion.

DON

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I do want to make a response to DanJimmy's comment about Ponant and this is totally a personal opinion.  I can't understand why people spend a very large amount of money to take luxury cruises to Antarctica.  We have done 2 cruises to the Antarctic regions.  One was many years ago on one of the Hurtigruten ships and a more recent one to South Georgia and the Falklands.  The recent one was on a  comfortable ship with good food, a small cabin with some but not a lot of amenities and a fantastic  expedition team.   After all you are taking the cruise for what is outside of the ship and not for what is on the ship.  Get me to Antarctica and show me a great time.  Who needs high class meals, fancy on board stuff and a large luxurious cab.  Just my opinion.

DON

For us we took a luxury trip to Antarctica because it was 25% more than Hurtigruden and similar options and we felt the comfort and better food options, etc, were well worth it.  There were no "cheap" possibilities when we sailed in early 2018

@donaldsc - The thing is that there are people who prefer and appreciate the comfort inside the ship as well. After all, people will spend more time on the ship than outside the ship. The expeditions last for only a few hours. The entire journey during the drake passage is in the ship, which can be 3-4 days in total.

Point is, there is a reason why Ponant, Swan Hellenic, Silversea, Seabourn, Viking, etc. exist, because there are people who would like to be comfortable when they are in the middle of nowhere.

I feel like visiting Antarctica on a luxury ship is like Douglas Adams’ “Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” People pay a lot of money to enjoy the spectacle of our own destruction in lavish comfort. I suppose we should enjoy it all while we can, because that ice is melting and may not be around beyond the current generations, which means that level of comfort probably won’t be either. Also, it’s such an incredible privilege to be able to visit in the first place that I guess we might as well take that privilege to the max!

18 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

I feel like visiting Antarctica on a luxury ship is like Douglas Adams’ “Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” People pay a lot of money to enjoy the spectacle of our own destruction in lavish comfort. I suppose we should enjoy it all while we can, because that ice is melting and may not be around beyond the current generations, which means that level of comfort probably won’t be either. Also, it’s such an incredible privilege to be able to visit in the first place that I guess we might as well take that privilege to the max!

If you replace "Antarctica" with "Europe" does the rest of your statement change?

The price differential was small so the choice for us to go luxury was easy.

On 8/3/2023 at 4:25 PM, Nitemare said:

If you replace "Antarctica" with "Europe" does the rest of your statement change?

The price differential was small so the choice for us to go luxury was easy.

There aren’t many glaciers left in Europe, so the question doesn’t come up too often. The amount that Briksdalsbreen has receded in the last two decades is pretty guy-wrenching, but since you can’t see it from the cruise port, the juxtaposition isn’t as obvious. Up around Svalbard, I think it would definitely feel the same, but we’ve only traveled on classic expedition ships in the north. (Our nicer-ship experience was also because it was the least expensive option at the time.)

6 minutes ago, kaisatsu said:

There aren’t many glaciers left in Europe, so the question doesn’t come up too often. The amount that Briksdalsbreen has receded in the last two decades is pretty guy-wrenching, but since you can’t see it from the cruise port, the juxtaposition isn’t as obvious. Up around Svalbard, I think it would definitely feel the same, but we’ve only traveled on classic expedition ships in the north. (Our nicer-ship experience was also because it was the least expensive option at the time.)

Lots of glaciers in Iceland (still part of Europe) to see.  Easiest from land. Some are receding, others are actually growing but those are rare.

The point wasn't about luxury vs. global warming, though, and I think you know what I meant.

I actually do think I misunderstood your post. Sorry! 🙈 

My original comment was specifically a reaction to the glaring side-by-side of the luxury ship (and it’s associated carbon footprint of production and operation) and the diminishing polar ice (poster child of climate change). And I do think I’d feel the same way if I was ever on the Ponant icebreaker in the Arctic sea ice.

But also, I decided to quit my job in the hydrocarbon industry right after my last Antarctic expedition, so I probably have stronger reactions to it than others! 😂