Regent hotel wait list

We have decided to fly in a day early to Barcelona before we start our pre-cruise tour. We figured we could rest, adjust to the new time zone, and give us wiggle room in case of a flight delay. My TA called Regent to book the extra night and was told we are first on the wait list. Has anyone else had experience with this? I know we can book a hotel on our own (much cheaper, I am sure…maybe at the same hotel?) along with transportation, but it would sure be nice to be in the same room as the next three nights for our pre-cruise tour. We plan to deviate our flights, available in September. We will go with the extra day, no matter what. How long might it take to clear the waitlist? When should we book the extra night on our own if we don’t clear the waitlist? Appreciate anything you could share!

Just book the extra night yourself in the same hotel (much cheaper as you noted), and then email the hotel and ask them to give you the same room for the duration of the stay. I have done this in Tokyo and they were more than happy to oblige.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, BBWC said:

Just book the extra night yourself in the same hotel (much cheaper as you noted), and then email the hotel and ask them to give you the same room for the duration of the stay. I have done this in Tokyo and they were more than happy to oblige.

They will lose the Regent supplied transportation if they do this. Although, if it were me, I would take the Regent credit for the hotel and book the hotel myself along with car service. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

They will lose the Regent supplied transportation if they do this. Although, if it were me, I would take the Regent credit for the hotel and book the hotel myself along with car service. 

I agree. Since it is Barcelona, it would be easiest to just get a taxi.

• Like 2

Several years ago going to Venice we went in 3 days early and booked the same hotel and when we arrived explained our situation and they kept us in the same room and we did not lose our transfers to ship and Regent paid for the one night hotel pre cruise. We did pay a deviation fee for going in early.

• Like 1

Looked on-line for prices at the hotel Regent says they are using pre-cruise in case we need to book ourselves. Prices in US $ is $1400 for one night double…not in an upgraded room! Checked on more than one website. Is this a normal price?? Holy shmoly!!

13 hours ago, Gray Lady said:

Looked on-line for prices at the hotel Regent says they are using pre-cruise in case we need to book ourselves. Prices in US $ is $1400 for one night double…not in an upgraded room! Checked on more than one website. Is this a normal price?? Holy shmoly!!

Without knowing the name of the hotel it's kinda' difficult to determine whether the price you found is correct.  I can tell you Barcelona has some very nice hotels priced at ¼ the cost you mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

Without knowing the name of the hotel it's kinda' difficult to determine whether the price you found is correct.  I can tell you Barcelona has some very nice hotels priced at ¼ the cost you mentioned.

Right now the description says NH Gran Calderon or similar hotel. I priced the Gran Calderon. I will have my TA contact Regent and see if he can get a definitive hotel. If that is the price, I will need to research some other places to stay for a night. And here I thought bacon was expensive!!

1 hour ago, jeb_bud said:

I wonder if there’s some kind of big event going on the week you will be there. When does your cruise embark?

Our cruise starts April 14, 2024. Pre-cruise tour has us flying in April 11th to start. We want to fly in on April 10th through deviation for “insurance” for arriving and to rest up.

11 minutes ago, Gray Lady said:

Our cruise starts April 14, 2024. Pre-cruise tour has us flying in April 11th to start. We want to fly in on April 10th through deviation for “insurance” for arriving and to rest up.

You're right!  Rates for April 10th are sky high.  The reason is below...

Hosted by Spain and co-organized with UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC/UNESCO), the 2024 UN Ocean Decade Conference will take place on 10-12 April 2024 in the coastal city of Barcelona.

You know...there are many knowledgeable CC members who want to help.  Next time please provide as much information as possible.  The name of your hotel and date of arrival in your initial post would have been very helpful. 

We are on the same cruise Barcelona to Rome as Gray Lady ( April 14). Thanks to Lew and this information " Hosted by Spain and co-organized with UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC/UNESCO), the 2024 UN Ocean Decade Conference will take place on 10-12 April 2024 in the coastal city of Barcelona." we might rethink going into Barcelona a few extra days. I am hoping that the one night included hotel will be a better location than Hotel Sofia which is what they used in May 2023.

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

You're right!  Rates for April 10th are sky high.  The reason is below...

Hosted by Spain and co-organized with UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC/UNESCO), the 2024 UN Ocean Decade Conference will take place on 10-12 April 2024 in the coastal city of Barcelona.

You know...there are many knowledgeable CC members who want to help.  Next time please provide as much information as possible.  The name of your hotel and date of arrival in your initial post would have been very helpful. 

Thank you. I will for sure in the future. I do appreciate everything I have learned from my new friends on CC. Now we just have to decide if we want to try to book another hotel, hoping we can get into this one, or just fly in on the 11th before our “deviation day”. 

Due to the wonderful information obtained here from fellow travelers, I booked a refundable hotel in Barcelona for one night before our pre-cruise tour. I was able to book a Le Meridien about 10 blocks from the Gran Calderon for $400 US. If we don’t clear the waitlist, at least we will have a place to stay for one night. One more thing checked off of my list!

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 3:40 PM, Gray Lady said:

I was able to book a Le Meridien about 10 blocks from the Gran Calderon for $400 US.

We stayed at Le Meridien for three nights in May before a Seabourn cruise. We thought the price was reasonable for a good hotel in the city (and if you have Marriott points, you can really cut the cost!). The hotel works out great. We loved the location, with easy walking to many sites and restaurants in this area of the city. While it's desirable to stay in the same hotel for your whole stay, for a savings of $1,000 (minus $20 for a cab to move hotels), I'd absolutely do that. 😀

• Like 1