Hong Kong with Viking

millybess

We are going on the Far East and Alaska cruise next year with Viking.  Neither of us has been to Hong Kong and are researching what we want to do.  I have posted on our roll call but it is very, very slow.  I have researched CC Ports and CC reviews, and I have also followed other roll calls.  It's been very difficult to find interesting info on Hong Kong.

We will be there for 3 nights, 2 days on our own staying at Kowloon Shangra-La, before joining Viking Orion for another 2 days in Hong Kong.  Viking's included tour: Postcards of Hong Kong looks very appealing and we will probably do that on our last day in Hong Kong.

Tours that we've been researching are:

Chi Lin Nunnery

Possibly a flower garden

Ngong Ping Skyrail

Po Lin Monastery

Tai O fishing village

Hollywood Road

Hong Kong Escalator

Star Ferry nighttime cruise

Lamma Island

We want to avoid wet markets.

Anyone who has been to Hong Kong, or anyone who is researching Hong Kong, could you add any info to the above tours; let us know of any "not to be missed" tours; and chime in as to whether it might be a good idea to hire a guide for a couple of days.

Thanks very much for any input.

Those look good.  I would add the Stanley Market.  Amazing stuff in one place.  Been there a long time.  Lots of beachfront bars/restaurants nearby.  We took a bus but a cab might be a nicer ride.  The Star Ferry is a nice ride anytime.🥃

• Like 1

If you go to the harbour front at 8pm (Kowloon side), there is a nightly laser show which lights up the HK Island skyline

As Jim Avery mentioned, Stanley Market is a great day out. On the way stop off in Repulse Bay, but beware of the dragon coming down from the hills to drink the sea water 😀

Sai Kung in the New Territories is a lovely little fishing village, with plenty of restaurants and bars. It’s well worth a visit, although I may be biased as I lived there for four years

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 8:49 PM, Jim Avery said:

Those look good.  I would add the Stanley Market.  Amazing stuff in one place.  Been there a long time.  Lots of beachfront bars/restaurants nearby.  We took a bus but a cab might be a nicer ride.  The Star Ferry is a nice ride anytime.🥃

This was one of the stops on our included tour when we were there in 2019...or am I thinking of a different market?

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

This was one of the stops on our included tour when we were there in 2019...or am I thinking of a different market?

No—same one—Stanley Market. It was also a stop on our included tour Hong Kong to Bangkok on Orion.

43 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Don't know as we went on our own with another couple who knew HK very well.  We also went to the Ladies Night Market.  Amazing place.

Edited by Jim Avery

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Don't know as we went on our own with another couple who knew HK very well.  We also went to the Ladies Night Market.  Amazing place.

I second the Ladies Market 

Edited by jmfdr

On 7/27/2023 at 4:49 PM, Jim Avery said:

Thanks very much.  This looks like an excellent thing to do.  We would probably take a cab from our hotel, unless anyone knows of a way to get there by water?  

And we will certainly do the Star Ferry.  

On 7/27/2023 at 5:14 PM, shipboy said:

If you go to the harbour front at 8pm (Kowloon side), there is a nightly laser show which lights up the HK Island skyline

As Jim Avery mentioned, Stanley Market is a great day out. On the way stop off in Repulse Bay, but beware of the dragon coming down from the hills to drink the sea water 😀

Sai Kung in the New Territories is a lovely little fishing village, with plenty of restaurants and bars. It’s well worth a visit, although I may be biased as I lived there for four years

Thanks.  We are also interested in Repulse Bay.  

We would love to see the dragon.  Isn't that good luck?  

• Like 1

On 7/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, Jim Avery said:

DH says this sounds dangerous 😂

36 minutes ago, millybess said:

Is that like the Empress in Victoria? 🙂

No. Because it’s Hong Kong in a storied hotel. Sure, it’s like the Empress in that it’s a fancy tea—but world’s apart, so to speak. 😉

18 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

No. Because it’s Hong Kong in a storied hotel. Sure, it’s like the Empress in that it’s a fancy tea—but world’s apart, so to speak. 😉

$190 CAD at the Empress; $120 CAD at the Peninsula; FREE at the Wintergarden.  🙂  But given the reviews, it looks like a nice place to visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, millybess said:

Is that like the Empress in Victoria? 🙂

Yes, despite what Linda says. 🤣  Old-school British hotel. Perfect for Canadians!  😄

Edited by SJD117

On 7/27/2023 at 1:42 PM, millybess said:

We are going on the Far East and Alaska cruise next year with Viking.  Neither of us has been to Hong Kong and are researching what we want to do.  I have posted on our roll call but it is very, very slow.  I have researched CC Ports and CC reviews, and I have also followed other roll calls.  It's been very difficult to find interesting info on Hong Kong.

We will be there for 3 nights, 2 days on our own staying at Kowloon Shangra-La, before joining Viking Orion for another 2 days in Hong Kong.  Viking's included tour: Postcards of Hong Kong looks very appealing and we will probably do that on our last day in Hong Kong.

Tours that we've been researching are:

Chi Lin Nunnery

Possibly a flower garden

Ngong Ping Skyrail

Po Lin Monastery

Tai O fishing village

Hollywood Road

Hong Kong Escalator

Star Ferry nighttime cruise

Lamma Island

We want to avoid wet markets.

Anyone who has been to Hong Kong, or anyone who is researching Hong Kong, could you add any info to the above tours; let us know of any "not to be missed" tours; and chime in as to whether it might be a good idea to hire a guide for a couple of days.

Thanks very much for any input.

If you are interested, send me an email and I will send you my research document for Hong Kong. Been many times for multiple days. You can find an address on our travel blog.

11 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

If you are interested, send me an email and I will send you my research document for Hong Kong. Been many times for multiple days. You can find an address on our travel blog.

Thanks Andy.  Very characteristically generous of you.  Email sent.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

DH and i went through this.  It is so helpful, we can't thank you enough.

• Like 1

@millybess I’ve got some stuff written down about our visit (About 2 typed A4 sheets so not too lengthy) which I would be happy to send you if you’re interested. We went up the Hong Kong escalator which I notice no one else has mentioned and I was suddenly reminded of my scribbles at the time. Do email me if you’d like to see it.

On 7/30/2023 at 6:24 AM, millybess said:

🙂The dangerous bit would be losing me in any market, especially one for ladies.  😉

The biggest "problem" for us in HK was that we were docked at the "new" cruise terminal located at the former Kai Tak airport.  A long way away from anywhere.  Hope yall get to dock at the cruise terminal much nearer in.  

• Like 1

Not to shanghai this thread and yes, I see what I did there... 😁

Can anyone who flew to Hong Kong from the US east coast for this year's sailing, using Viking Air arranged flights, provide what your flight itinerary was? What airline was used?

We go next April and are curious what path we (Viking) might take flying out of Dulles (IAD).

Ta

Edited by Haqdeluxe