Skagway-July 2024 Van Excursion for 11

surgie

Looking to book a private excursion next summer in one van/bus for 6 adults and 5 kids to Emerald Lake. I came across Midnight Sun Excursions which has several great reviews. Are there other private tour companies we should consider for our group? 

Not sure if you'd be interested in doing it yourself, but we always rent a 15 passenger van from Ann at Drive About Car Rentals in Skagway for about $400 and do it ourselves.  It's about a 60 mile drive to Emerald Lake, but lots of sightseeing along the way, including stuff like bears and Moose walking along the road.  Stop and pick up some sandwiches and beverages and plenty of places for picnics.  The kids love it!  You do need to pass thru the Canadian Border, so you'll need passports for everybody, but it's no big deal.  Ann is very accomidating so she can help you out with any questions.  We've done it 3 times and have another trip booked this August, so I highly recommend if you don't mind doing it yourself....not to mention the money you'll save.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beave8920 said:

including stuff like bears and Moose walking along the road.  

Have you seen moose???  We've done that drive several times, and we've seen bears, but never moose.

FYI - you might want to check and see what the driver's license regulations are for driving a 15 passenger van in both Alaska and the Yukon and if my memory serves me correct I think you also cross into BC on your way to Emerald Lake. In BC your regular Class 5 license - the one use by most drivers doesn't allow you to drive a 15 passenger van - anything over a 10 passenger van requires a different license category.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

On 7/29/2023 at 10:43 PM, Urban trekker said:

FYI - you might want to check and see what the driver's license regulations are for driving a 15 passenger van in both Alaska and the Yukon.

Thanks for the info Dennis.....I've done it twice with the van and no one has even mentioned this.  The van I rent is not a bus type, just a Ford Econoline van.  I would have thought either the person who rents the van or Candian Customs would have inquired?????

9 minutes ago, Beave8920 said:

Thanks for the info Dennis.....I've done it twice with the van and no one has even mentioned this.  The van I rent is not a bus type, just a Ford Econoline van.  I would have thought either the person who rents the van or Candian Customs would have inquired?????

I did some follow up to the drivers license requirement in Canada and as outlined on the Canadian DMV website, a class 4 (automobile license) is authorized to drive a 2 axle vehicle with no more than 15 seats providing it is used for private use and not for hire.  If it's for hire, then a class 4 is required.

Now that you've mentioned this, I do remember the Candian Customs guy asking me if I was driving for hire, but I never was so I answered no.  I guess that was the right  answer!