JFK Airport Park, Sleep, Stay ????

bboop51

We expect to be flying out of JFK airport next year. It will be our first time. It is usually PHL or EWR. But we are flying to Southampton (UK) and it appears JFK is the only way we will get a direct flight.

We usually do a stay, sleep, park thing,. It works great, no rushing to the airport the morning of the flight and worrying about traffic, accidents etc.

I can't seem to get  a handle on this for JFK airport. Our trip is almost a year out and I am not ready to book necessarily, but I am an advance planner and like to see the options.

So, I can not tell if it's too early or the options are really limited.

Anyone out there with personal experience, your input would be very valuable.

Thank you in advance.

16 minutes ago, kayehall said:

parksleepfly.com, parksleephotels.com, buyreservations.com....I tried to look some up but need dates.  Years ago we used a Sheraton near JFK and left our car there.  Worked out well

Thanks. I put my dates in on parksleepfly.and got nothing for your dates. But it did let me put the dates in. I think it may be too early. We don't have flights yet (too early lol) It's my first trip to Europe I'm really excited.

Edited by bboop51

You might want to rethink the parking bit.  From Newtown, Amtrak to New York is easy - sure, you would need to get from Penn Station to JFK , but that is pretty easy with AirTrain. You will spend a lot on parking with your plan.

Most flights from US to UK are overnight - so you have plenty of time to go direct to JFK without hassle/cost of hotel.  But, if you want to go a day early, just plan to spend night in NYC. 

Thank you.  In theory, that sounds great. We have investigated it before for EWR. But even with my pared down packing (which will be difficult,) schlepping the suitcases on the trains is not feasible. 

I'd love to be the person who can throw stuff in a backpack and go,  but that is trick this old will never learn 😉

Thanks.  It looks like this may be a moot point . I'm learning new things every day. 

The only direct flights to the UK are to Heathrow, so we will most likely fly from PHL or EWR and take the bus to Southampton.  I was under the impression there were direct flights to Southampton from JFK (bad information.) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 2:43 AM, bboop51 said:

Southampton from JFK

Southampton is a tiny airport used mainly for domestic business flights and European holidays. I wouldn't recommend bus to Southampton, but take the Elizabeth line to Reading then train to Southampton. This will take a little over 2 hours, and will avoid traversing central London.

On 7/31/2023 at 9:43 PM, bboop51 said:

Thanks.  It looks like this may be a moot point . I'm learning new things every day. 

The only direct flights to the UK are to Heathrow, so we will most likely fly from PHL or EWR and take the bus to Southampton.  I was under the impression there were direct flights to Southampton from JFK (bad information.) 

Please check out the British Isles Ports of Call forum for the various options for getting to Southampton from LHR.  (private car, train, bus)

And in terms of flying from EWR, I think you’ll find that in addition to the typical overnight flights, United I believe has a daytime nonstop that arrives at LHR that same night. Which means you can check into a hotel. Not sure if you are planning some pre-cruise time in London, but that’s a nice way to do it.