Carnival Panorama in March

travel_frog

We mostly sailed on Princess in the Caribbean so far but considering taking a cruise next March on Panorama. Since partaking in the outdoor activities (slides, water park, rope course, etc.) with our 7-year-old is one of the main reasons for picking this ship, I was wondering if weather is USUALLY warm enough to enjoy these in March?

Also, are there any other reasons we should be excited to sail on this ship (or maybe be aware of) when compared to Princess ships?

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_frog said:

I was wondering if weather is USUALLY warm enough to enjoy these in March?

As you head south the weather will absolutely get warmer and more comfortable.

I will say, though, that on the Radiance in May it was downright cold on sea days out on the top decks- although that didn't seem to deter any children from having fun and doing the slides.

Granted, the Radiance doesn't go as far south as the Panorama, but just to give some perspective

• Like 1

It's hard to predict with all the crazy weather we've been having all year.  I think it will be nice and warm in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan; not sure about Cabo.  The sea day returning is usually the coolest day.

• Like 2

Sea days are very often overcast and sometimes windy. Especially the first and last day. If you are expecting all sea days to be warm and sunny you might be disappointed . But the port days will be nice so you could enjoy some of the onboard outdoor activities then 

• Like 1

There is plenty to do on the Vista class ships. There is a micro brewery on board as part of the Red Frog Pub, a bike that you can pedal around the top perimeter of the ship, etc, etc.

The Panorama is a great ship, You're 7 y.o. will love all the activities. The Fun Squad host a lot of family activities, too. I was just on in June and the last sea day was a bit chilly to swim but great for the hot tubs! 

The first and last sea day can be chilly - cool, windy or both - year-round.  Often to the point that the “water park” is closed down.  Obviously the weather is hit-or-miss and unpredictable these days.  That doesn’t mean you won’t have fun — as a local to the Long Beach area, I’ve done the so-called Mexican Rivera at least once a year since 2000 (and typically several times per year) and have always had a great time.

That said… if daily enjoyment of the pool deck is a must, then stick with a Caribbean / Bahamas itinerary to avoid potential disappointment.  There’s a reason why LA-based itineraries cost less in the winter ;).

Remember that the Panorama is moving at/ near max speed the first and last day, which can make weather conditions feel more uncomfortable that what they really are.  Most Caribbean / Bahamas itineraries speed more time at port, and travel much more slowly when at sea.

Edited by Itried4498
  • Like 1

The Pacific is cooler than the Atlantic, so there's that. Princess also sometimes does that route but the temps would be the same for them. Perhaps you have seem some of the hoopla on the Princess board about the recent decline in included venues - Carnival has a lot of included food venues, Princess pools are freshwater; Carnival pools are saltwater.

Even on Alaska cruises you see kids enjoying the outside activities, but wind can shut some things down.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

The Pacific is cooler than the Atlantic, so there's that. Princess also sometimes does that route but the temps would be the same for them. Perhaps you have seem some of the hoopla on the Princess board about the recent decline in included venues - Carnival has a lot of included food venues, Princess pools are freshwater; Carnival pools are saltwater.

Even on Alaska cruises you see kids enjoying the outside activities, but wind can shut some things down.

Weather conditions on the Pacific will always feel cooler and rougher for a multitude of reasons.  Everybody has a different tolerance to the weather - there will be plenty of people sunbathing and enjoying the pools and there will be plenty of people bundled up.

Princess is doing more Mexican Rivera itineraries than ever before from LA.  They’re currently using their newest ship.  It outclasses the Panorama in every way but it doesn’t have the children’s amenities.  Princess also charges significantly more than Carnival - they often won’t book more than two people, and often when they do the fare is double that of the first two passengers making it more economical to book two cabins.  That said, you can score great deals (often last minute) if you’re aggressive.  Earlier this year we booked a cabin for three for about $1500 all-in on a glitch that enabled us to select a suite for the lowest interior fare.  Princess wouldn’t honor that suite, but they did give us a mini suite.

RCL and NCL also do the same route.  RCL uses an older ship but I prefer it to the Panorama (although Panorama has slightly larger cabins).  Easily the best pool deck at sea, including the two best water slides. I haven’t done NCL yet but they use their newer ships and manage to squeeze a fourth port in.  Unfortunately it’s Ensenada.  NCL is doing fewer trips than it has in recent years — typically the ships spend May - Sep doing Alaska and the rest in LA but they’re doing mostly Florida runs in 2024 and 2025.

Holland and Disney also offer similar itineraries from San Diego.  Disney’s pretty much down to Spring Break runs only, which isn’t surprising given they were the lowest priced itineraries in their network.  

Edited by Itried4498

The Panorama is one of my favorite Carnival ships (and we've been on nearly every one that is currently in service).  I agree with the others that the Mexican Riviera itenerary typically has a couple cool days, but this ship has a lot of activities both inside and out for kids.  Your 7-year old might really enjoy the trampoline park.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2023 at 4:41 PM, travel_frog said:

We mostly sailed on Princess in the Caribbean so far but considering taking a cruise next March on Panorama. Since partaking in the outdoor activities (slides, water park, rope course, etc.) with our 7-year-old is one of the main reasons for picking this ship, I was wondering if weather is USUALLY warm enough to enjoy these in March?

Also, are there any other reasons we should be excited to sail on this ship (or maybe be aware of) when compared to Princess ships?

Thank you!

We are booked on Panorama for March...first ever cruise.  Wish us luck.  😊

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TiredTrucker said:

We are booked on Panorama for March...first ever cruise.  Wish us luck.  😊

That’s awesome it’ll be your first cruise. Just a warning, it can be very addicting. 🤣

I would suggest reading these boards and getting as much info as you can but most of all, just relax, take it all in and have a wonderful time.

• Thanks 1