Livorno Cruise Port to Florence

NewAmsterdam

3 hours ago, seekatz said:

We are on the NCL Escape visiting Florence in just a few weeks taking the train from Livorno to Florence.  Since I am unable to see the transfers until I board, could you please let us know when you booked your NCL transfer that took you to the Livorno train station directly and how much it was?  Do you book it through the shore excursion desk? 

NCL discontinued their shuttle between the pier and train station after 2022  Doubtful that it will be resurrected for 2024 but you can hope. Perhaps watch for current trip reports to see what current travelers experience  (It was $25)

You'll need to take the free shuttle to the Piazza then walk or take a local bus to the station,

9 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

NCL discontinued their shuttle between the pier and train station after 2022  Doubtful that it will be resurrected for 2024 but you can hope. Perhaps watch for current trip reports to see what current travelers experience  (It was $25)

You'll need to take the free shuttle to the Piazza then walk or take a local bus to the station,

Do not be so fast to dismiss the option of getting a shared taxi from the pier to the station.  It is money, well spent, in terms of all the time you will save waiting for the shuttle bus plus the walk (or using the city bus) to the station.  Will taxis be willing to take folks to the station?  Maybe yes, maybe no....but you will not know until you politely ask the drivers if anyone will take you to the "stazione."  

We always talk about knowing your optons and having a Plan B.  So, Plan A might be to ask for a taxi, and if that fails the shuttle bus is Plan B.

Keep in mind that when you are in DIY mode on a port day, time is your enemy.  When you need to travel some distance (such as Livorno to Florence or Civitavecchia to Rome) it is often worth an extra 10-20 Euros to save 1-2 hours!  You can never have too much time in cities like Florence.

Hank

Will taxis be willing to take you all the way to Florence?  And, any idea on the cost for 4 people?  I don't think I want to deal with the trains and I know if we do it through NCL they won't be able to get us all the way into the city.  So, I was wondering about a taxi straight.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

It's almost always less expensive to use a pre-arranged car service for an out of town trip rather than a taxi.  The inverse is also true, it's always more expensive to use a car service for a local trip vs. a taxi.

9 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

It's almost always less expensive to use a pre-arranged car service for an out of town trip rather than a taxi.  The inverse is also true, it's always more expensive to use a car service for a local trip vs. a taxi.

thank you.  Would you recommend Italy Tours for the transfer?  I have booked a couple tours through them and just noticed they do transfers.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

Will taxis be willing to take you all the way to Florence?  And, any idea on the cost for 4 people?  I don't think I want to deal with the trains and I know if we do it through NCL they won't be able to get us all the way into the city.  So, I was wondering about a taxi straight.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

In post #12 I included the link to Tuscany Tours and Transfers for their Florence/Pisa bus excursion. 

But if you just want to visit Florence, they pick up at the Livorno Piazza where the free shuttles drop off cruise pax.  If I remember correctly, the dropoff/pickup point in Florence was near the train station. I considered this company but their time was too limited for the Fl/Pisa option so we went DIY by train instead. I don't know the timing of the Florenc only option.

Transfer service to Florence from Livorno (shore-experience.com)

Edited by mapleleaves

5 hours ago, FlashF15 said:

Yes, If you ask a taxi, on the pier, to take you to Florence, they will generally be delighted.  But, the drivers will normally suggest that you book them for the entire day (they will wait) for several hundred Euros.  If you want a taxi, one way to Florence, it means they would need to return empty.  While most drivers would do it, they are going to still charge you a few hundred Euros.  And you would still need to find another taxi (for a few hundred more) to bring you back.  

It comes down to arranging to hire a pre-booked private car or gamble on a local taxi.  Using the better tour company's for a full day hire is generally going to get you a nicer car and a driver who may speak some English.  When you gamble on a local taxi you get what you get...which can be anything from a fantastic driver to something not as pleasant.

What we have done, a few times, is simply rent a car (from Sifracar) and drive ourselves to Florence or other places (we enjoy going to San Gimignano).  A rental car costs us less than half the price of a taxi and we are comfy driving in Italy (many folks are not up to this task).  I no longer suggest rental cars since I figure that folks comfortable driving in Italy are already familiar with that option.  Also keep in mind that driving in Italy means learning about Zona Traffico  Limitatos (ZTLs) and the parking rules.

Hank

44 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

@Hlitner thank you for that information.  How far away is the rental car place from the port or do  they bring the cars to you?

Sifracar used to deliver to the pier.  But that was when they were the local Hertz franchise and the port was open to cars.  Not sure if that is still allowed,  You can contact them via their web site and ask.  

Hank

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Avis was right at the port last year for my two cruises with NCL. 

Also, as mentioned you need to research ZTLs and parking locations in Florence. Driving in Italy requires an international drivers license which can be easily obtained thru AAA or online. 

If you’re not comfortable with driving in Italy another option is NCL does offer a bus transfer (under excursions) directly to Florence which gives you around 5 hours in the city. It’s not cheap (around $150 each), but may be the less stressful option. 

Edited by Girr

@Girr, thanks.  I'll make a note of Avis.  Right now, we have that NCL transfer booked.  I just saw Shore Excursions Group has one as well a little less.  But, they leave later and you have to pay the shuttle to the meeting place. I was trying to figure out all our options.

31 minutes ago, FlashF15 said:

@Girr, thanks.  I'll make a note of Avis.  Right now, we have that NCL transfer booked.  I just saw Shore Excursions Group has one as well a little less.  But, they leave later and you have to pay the shuttle to the meeting place. I was trying to figure out all our options.

The other option is a good deal. Just keep in mind you’ll need to wait in line to buy the port shuttle ticket then wait at Piazza M for that bus to fill up. You can end up wasting time. 

Have you checked out your cruises Roll Call?  Often there’s others looking to share a taxi to Pisa’s train station. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...