Food Hacks on longer trips

highplanesdrifters

On 8/6/2023 at 6:21 PM, drkitkat123 said:

one of my major concerns about our upcoming MUSE trip is the reported standard of the hamburgers ...... :-)))). Very concerning to a hamburger addict!!!

Anyone ever tried to hack the hamburger to get the kitchen to produce a better version?

George once asked if they had a meat grinder onboard (yes) and tried to get them to grind up a sirloin steak for him to make a hamburger. They wouldn't do it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RachelG said:

George once asked if they had a meat grinder onboard (yes) and tried to get them to grind up a sirloin steak for him to make a hamburger. They wouldn't do it. 

Does Silversea serve sirloin steaks?  Maybe have him request they grind a tenderloin or filet next time on board. 

I wish him much success, because like he, I cannot choke down the awful hamburgers Silversea serves.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

I asked The Google Machine about Thai vs. Indonesian food. With approximately 6,000 populated islands and more than 300 ethnic groups, the food in Indonesia is extremely diverse, based on religion, region, culture and season. There is an infinite number of versions of home cooked indigenous dishes, with ethnic contributions of Chinese, Malay, Indian, Dutch, Portuguese, Arab, Muslim and Hindu etc. Popular is Javanese, Sumatran, Balinese. Compared to Thai, Indonesian cuisine is more complex, has stronger flavors, earthy, more fried, braised, heavy, spicy and served often at room temperature. Prominent ingredients are a large variety of herbs, use of similar local ingredients like citrus, coconut, palm sugar fermented fish/shrimp paste and sweet soy sauce.  On our next trip I plan to ask the restaurant Maitre'd whose cooking and their nationality. Then ask for their native speciality.

Appreciate this great, additional background and follow-up by highplanesdrifters.  Indonesian food does sound of interest with its varied mix of influences by so many different counties and cultures.  I counted a mix of eight different nations and influences.

Great idea to ask the restaurant Maitre'd for the backgrounds of those doing the cooking and their nationalities on the ship. Showing an interest for their native speciality could be rewarding and culturally unique.  All of those many spices from Asia do offer a nice variety of tastes, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 244,628 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1896175-solstice-live-australianzhawaii-many-pix’s-jan-20-feb-3/

• Like 1

If SS is like other RCG lines, the predominant nationalities of the crew will add, from the crew mess, a whole host of additional ingredients and spices.  Might be worth asking the crew about the highlights of their cuisine, too.

8 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Exactly! I often ask crew "what is the favorite dish that your mother makes". The ensuing discussion can lead to so many places.

Great, creative follow-ups by both canderson and highplanesdrifters.  Wonderful idea with that discussion starter about your mother's favorite dish.  Keep it coming with ideas and thoughts for special order foods and dining delights to seek when doing Silversea sailings. My experience has been that the diverse crews on these ships like it much when you ask about this nations, background, interests, etc. It's a great learning, personal connection on both sides.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

• Like 1