Lap swimming on HAL Noordam?

gluttonfp

Hi, I will be taking my first cruise soon, on the HAL Noordam to Alaska.  Are either of the pools on the Noordam suitable for lap swimming, or are they too small or crowded?  Do they have any designated times (or portions of the pool) that are for lap swimmers rather than other activities?  Also, do they keep the water relatively warm, and is it chilly on the pool deck when you are at sea in Alaska in August?  Thank you.

Welcome to HAL!! AK is very special and HAL does it very well - congrats on your itinerary.

I would not consider the pools suitable for lap swimming, but have not been on the Noordam since the restart. Perhaps someone who has been on more recently can provide more insight.

It can be cool outside when overcast, but generally we have found light layers to be adequate for being on the deck. We haven't been to AK in Aug - we go in Sept at end of season, so you should have a bit warmer temps than we do.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CharlieTravels said:

NO cruise ship pool is meant for lap swimming!

Certainly true in general, but we were on cruise a few years ago, Sapphire Princess if I recall correctly, that had a swim against the current type ‘ lap pool’ 

17 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

Certainly true in general, but we were on cruise a few years ago, Sapphire Princess if I recall correctly, that had a swim against the current type ‘ lap pool’ 

That is certainly a great thing, and new to me! I have a future booking on Sapphire. I’ll keep an eye out for that!

The pools are NOT meant for lap swimming.  I did see a woman on one of our HAL cruises tethered to the handrail from her ankle and she was swimming in place for at least a 1/2 hour solid before I left the pool area.  She did that every morning and I think it was right when the pool opened so she wasn't getting in anyone's way.  I think that would be appropriate but not lap swimming.  

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the input.  Sounds like I won't be getting my normal swimming in during this trip, but I guess there are plenty of other things to keep me busy, and I'll probably get a decent amount of exercise just walking around the big ship!

1 minute ago, AKJonesy said:

The pools are NOT meant for lap swimming.  I did see a woman on one of our HAL cruises tethered to the handrail from her ankle and she was swimming in place for at least a 1/2 hour solid before I left the pool area.  She did that every morning and I think it was right when the pool opened so she wasn't getting in anyone's way.  I think that would be appropriate but not lap swimming.  

I think I have seen this same passenger on several of our cruises!  I am a dedicated lap swimmer and have managed to swim laps when I cruise, even though the laps are shortened.  I felt I got a good workout.  It is possible!  I would go when the pool opened...it varied from ship to ship and the whim of the captain.  I remember begging them to take the net off once, but they said the captain said it was to rough ( it wasn't.)  The pool temp has always been comfortable.

If you go when the pool opens it will work, and you may find other lap swimmers with you.  I do not try to lap swim on an Alaska Cruise....7 days is to short!  I will be on the Eurodam Sept. 2 Alaska and will be leaving my swim suit at home.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gluttonfp said:

Thanks for all of the input.  Sounds like I won't be getting my normal swimming in during this trip, but I guess there are plenty of other things to keep me busy, and I'll probably get a decent amount of exercise just walking around the big ship!

Noordam has the nice Promenade deck for walking; not jogging.  I think on Noordam it's 3-1/2 laps to a mile.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gluttonfp said:

The pools are way too small for laps but I bring 2 bungee cords and a robe belt (soft). The belt is loop tied at each end. I wear the belt and thread one end through the other and that end is hooked in the bungee  which is tethered to a rail. This was showed to me by a long time cruiser and swimmer. I stay in a corner or away from others and swim for 30-60 minutes. It's the next best thing to a motion current pool. Usually pools are empty about 4 pm as people are at happy hour pre dinner. Or you can try mornings. 

• Like 4

Once saw a famous swimmer on the Maasdam who hooked up a harness to the end of the after deck pool and swam "against" it. He was famous for swimming from Russia to America - actually two close by islands.  

That is how he worked out in the HAL pool every day. He did pick off-hours - typically at the end of the day when most are going off to dinner.  What permission he got to hook this system up in unknown, but he was also a special guest. 

• Like 1

Just now, OlsSalt said:

Once saw a famous swimmer on the Maasdam who hooked up a harness to the end of the after deck pool and swam "against" it. He was famous for swimming from Russia to America - actually two close by islands.  

That is how he worked out in the HAL pool every day. He did pick off-hours - typically at the end of the day when most are going off to dinner.  What permission he got to hook this system up in unknown, but he was also a special guest. 

Yes Joe taught me. 😉

• Like 1

DW is a lap swimmer. She tries on cruise ship pools, but it is hard as they are small and often crowded.

There was one time on a ship she really did get to do laps having the pool to herself. The cruise ran into a hurricane, and we could not get back to Fort Lauderdale on time. At one point the Captain took us closer to land so passengers could get cell phone service to call home and/or their travel agents. 

The pool had waves like the ocean, and DW had the pool to herself in the morning. By the afternoon they had drained the pool.

• Like 1

OP - you probably know about the ankle strap that can be bought on Amazon.... I bring my goggles, speedo suit & the strap on every vacation. Its light weight & can be used in any weather / seas.

I've used it many times at sea - just figure out when is a good time to use it in the pools onboard.  I usually swim first thing in the morning & before cocktail hour.

Its still a marvel to me to know I am swimming across the ocean onboard a ship.... Dancing across the ocean is also magical.

Good luck w the laps...

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips about the ankle strap, but I don't think I would enjoy that.  I usually like to cycle through 3 strokes, which I am guessing wouldn't work well tethered to a railing.  I'll either aim for the off times to try to get some swimming in, or just accept not swimming for the 7 day cruise.  I usually swim three times a week, so at least I wouldn't be missing a daily activity.

11 minutes ago, gluttonfp said:

Thanks for the tips about the ankle strap, but I don't think I would enjoy that.  I usually like to cycle through 3 strokes, which I am guessing wouldn't work well tethered to a railing.  I'll either aim for the off times to try to get some swimming in, or just accept not swimming for the 7 day cruise.  I usually swim three times a week, so at least I wouldn't be missing a daily activity.

I do breast, back and free with the tethering. You have to center where the bungee goes and takes getting used to but works well if you don't mind going nowhere after 30 minutes 🤣 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Though the laps are short if you are willing to forgo early evening entertainment I have found the pools empty after 7. I have not been on the Noordam particularly.

My DW always tried when they first opened in the morning.

• Like 1