Koningsdam Alaska Comparison 2022 and 2023

PACD_JG

Since I cruised on the same ship and the same itinerary 13 months apart, I thought I would share some comparisons.

1. Stayed in the famous verandah 4156 with the bonus balcony.  We had always stayed in Vista Suites before, so the first notable thing is that a family of four will definitely know the verandah room is smaller.  For two folks, definitely not worth paying extra for the suite, but we definitely noticed that the room is smaller for four.  Personal preference - I like having the bed closer to the balcony because of the hallway noise.  And you can shimmy your way around the sofa bed in a Vista Suite (about a foot of space), but there's zero shimmy in the Verandah room to get to the balcony (must walk across the bed).  But that balcony is huge!

2.  2022 had 1800 pax.  2023 was sold out, but so was my Thanksgiving Cruise on the Nieuw Statendam.  I was apprehensive because that cruise wasn't enjoyable at all.  But I was surprised...Alaska 2023 was somewhere in between, but it seemed like there was more crew than both 2022 and Thanksgiving.

3.  Way more children in 2023 than 2022, but nothing compared to the Thanksgiving Zoo.

4.  Food portions definitely smaller than 2022, but probably the same as Thanksgiving.  Would give food 4 out of 5 stars on this cruise, and both times we found the Koningsdam food better than the NS.  Still, service in the MDR is just too slow for my taste: 90 minutes - 2 hours.

5.  Stewards were much more efficient than Thanksgiving (perhaps less rooms?), and about the same as 2022.  5 out of 5.

6.  Had Pinnacle Grill lunch that so many recommend - it was great, but even lunch service was slow.  Tamarind was great but definitely some cutbacks from 2022.

7.  The $11 HIA drink limit pissed me off several times when I found numerous drinks that I got included in 2022 are now $12 (Chianti, Emperor's Nectar).

8.  I finally got two tiles that people speak of.  I like them enough to use as coasters...at first I wasn't mad about not receiving them before...but now I want four more.  When do people usually get them?

9.  All the Alaskan beer were from cans, and they were very inconsistent on what they had.  From a koelsch to a pils to an IPA to an amber.  Never had a time when all 4 was available to choose from.

10.  The RS Rock Band was not as good as 2022 or Thanksgiving.  The Billboard pianos have never been my thing, and I'm a theater-goer.  This BB Kings band was the best out of them all.  Spend some time every night that they played, and they put on their best at the Orange Party.

11.  They have a new singing group called Major Fourth on the main stage.  All of them had good voices...but the arrangements were cheesy.  Didn't watch Step One Dancers but they were there but they didn't have as many performances.  Lots more game nights/game shows for entertainment.  Betty Ann is still the Cruise Director but Miss X is the fun one who leads a lot of the activities.  Comedian was funny.  Art classes were fun but all of them were jam packed.  And they shouldn't have them one right after the other, because the people at the first one won't leave.

11. YVR was about the same as it was 2022 (not difficult, mid-sized airport).  Canada Place arrangement was different, about the same time to embark (about an hour) and disembark (20 minutes).  If there was a strike I didn't notice it.  Stayed at Auberge Vancouver in 2022 and 2023 - same experience.

Ask what you want and I'll be candid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I can’t imagine 4 people in that stateroom but I like the layout much better than the VS.  It sounds like you had a nice cruise.  We’ll have two in the stateroom for a November Pacific Coast cruise.  I really like the location and the balcony, of course!

Did you have enough balcony furniture for four people?  I like the lounge chairs with the separate footstools.  

Edited by oaktreerb

What were the cutbacks in Tamarind? We’ll be on Koningsdam in May 2024 and were thinking about Tamarind for our HIA specialty dinner. I know there have been cutbacks since we dined there in 2019 (different menu), but I was hoping there hadn’t been further cuts😩.

8 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Did you have enough balcony furniture for four people?  I like the lounge chairs with the separate footstools.  

The balcony had two lounge chairs with the separate footstools and two folding black chairs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lf4UA said:

What were the cutbacks in Tamarind? We’ll be on Koningsdam in May 2024 and were thinking about Tamarind for our HIA specialty dinner. I know there have been cutbacks since we dined there in 2019 (different menu), but I was hoping there hadn’t been further cuts😩.

In 2022, there was green tea served and hot wash cloths, and I distinctly recalled 3 shrimp in the tempura appetizer.  In 2023, there were 2.  Wasabi tenderloin was noticeably smaller.  By the way, this goes for all the mixed drinks/cocktails on HAL - drinks are smaller and/or weaker than they were in 2022.  I was way closer to reaching my drink limit every night, and believe me, my alcohol tolerance did not go up.

So. No draft beer at all or just local bees in cans.  Every time I go on the Pinnacle ships the draft beer station is out of order.  What was the wait like to get into the MDR?

thanks for your comments.  We sail the K early next year, the last time was 2019 and we felt it was crowded and congested. 

Edited by Mary229

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

So. No draft beer at all or just local bees in cans.  Every time I go on the Pinnacle ships the draft beer station is out of order.  What was the wait like to get into the MDR?

All the local beers were in cans.  If there was draft, I never saw it, and we utilize all aspects of the ship.  As far as the wait for the MDR - we made reservations on board, and because it was for 6, it was always after 8.  Sometimes that was okay, and other times we determined it was too late and just walked in.  I would say the longest we waited was about 15 minutes.  The longest line that I saw was on Day 2 and Day 5, the "dressy" nights, and that was during our late reservations.  I imagine the line to get in at 6 or 7 was pretty extreme.  FWIW, we ate in the Tamarind the first night and then ate in the MDR the rest of the nights...mainly because my son and his partner are vegans and ordered off of that menu.  If you want to know, they were both very pleased with the food.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I know you had the drink package, but did you notice in the daily program any happy hours at various locations or martini specials at the Pinnacle Bar?  Thank you!

I did, but it was only for an hour a day, and it was 50% off.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

@mjcooks201 You should read what @PACD_JG has to say about the difference between Vista Suite and Verandah cabins.

Truth be told, on my 2022 Alaska cruise I originally booked 4156 but was kicked out because they made it a Covid room.  They moved me to another Verandah and I was ticked off because I wanted the big balcony.  Anyway, I got a free "upgrade" to a Vista.  We liked it enough that on my Thanksgiving cruise I booked another Vista (only because it was cheaper than my Verandah in Alaska).  In 2023, the Vista was more than I wanted to pay, so I booked the 4156 (much more expensive than 2022).

• Thanks 1

The Hotel Director has some influence on the running of the hospitality side of your cruise.

mr. Dsouza onboard Koningsdam is one of the very best on the High Seas. ( his brother is also one of my   Senior crew and another brother works for Princess. They are a true Cruise Family).