In Search of the Northern Lights for Older Adult?

jsteppern

Hi everyone,

We are contemplating taking my mother (75) on one of Viking's cruises to see the Northern Lights. She loves cold weather and has always wanted to see artic during winter. However, I was wondering if this cruise would be too active or strenuous for her. Obviously, we could stay on the ship, but was hoping there were excursions that were not too active (she is healthy, but too much walking/climbing stairs/etc. would be prohibitive). Any insight from those who have gone on this itinerary would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Johnathan

She should be able to go on an excursion or two in each port as long as she is OK on ice and in up to 1ft snow. 

Non paved tracks tend to be very uneven under the snow. 

Google Street view will give you an idea of terrain. The shuttle busses will deliver you to the town centre if some distance from the ship. 

Happy to try to answer any questions about accessability. 

One thing, the outdoor seating on the ship isn't covered, so if you want to be up on deck or on balcony take a waterproof picnic blanket or similar to sit on. Trash bags tend to try to blow away before the posterior is situated. The aquavit terrace seating was cleared away so we ended up either on deck 8 or in the smoking area

I suggest a pair of snow boots (large enough for thick socks) with built in ice grips to assist walking.  Also a HotRox chargeable hand/foot warmer which lasts for 4 hours.  

Also for your information, we are both 74 and we cancelled our ‘Search for the lights’ optional excursion in Tromso as it turned out that we would have been out in the forest with no facilities for 4+ hours ie no shelter,  no toilets, warm drinks, fire etc.  We only learned this at the Port talk as we assumed it would be the same as the one in Alta (which had these facilities) as it had the same description.  (Wish we’d booked that one).  

• Thanks 1

My wife & I were in our 70's when we went on this cruise in March of 2019.  There are a number of excursions that she could easily do.  The important thing is to dress in layers as it will be cold.  If she is unsure of her footing, you may want to consider "ice shoes".  I think that is what they are called.  They attach to your shoes and give you traction on ice, etc.  You will be treated to beautiful scenery, and will appreciate the warmth of the people of Norway.  If you get to see the "lights", you will appreciate it even more.   

Bear in mind many coach drivers will not allow you to wear ice shoes or trax on the bus and it’s very tricky to put them on outside when standing on snow and ice. It’s a lovely cruise we enjoyed it but it’s a real challenge if you have mobility or balance concerns 

20 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

I suggest a pair of snow boots (large enough for thick socks) with built in ice grips to assist walking.  Also a HotRox chargeable hand/foot warmer which lasts for 4 hours.  

Also for your information, we are both 74 and we cancelled our ‘Search for the lights’ optional excursion in Tromso as it turned out that we would have been out in the forest with no facilities for 4+ hours ie no shelter,  no toilets, warm drinks, fire etc.  We only learned this at the Port talk as we assumed it would be the same as the one in Alta (which had these facilities) as it had the same description.  (Wish we’d booked that one).  

Good to know that there are no toilets on this excursion.  Practical issues like that often tend to be omitted by the likely young and healthy people writing the excursion descriptions (not just on Viking, but on most lines).  Guests can wear Arctic style clothing and use hand warmers and even bring a thermos with their own drinks to stay warm. But unless they have bladders that can expand to the size of cantaloupes (or are men capable of moderate stealth) 4+ hours without a toilet or even an outhouse opportunity (even if drinking absolutely nothing beforehand the day of the excursion) does not work for many women, especially senior women.

Unless you are on one of the night time inland excursions no special gear is needed, other than boots, thermals and waterproofs. 

We were fine with our ordinary walking dog/looking after animals British winter gear

• Like 1

If mom is mobile, zero issue.Just pick the proper tours.   Currently on Viking Mars chasing the midnight sun.  Ok we missed it by a couple of weeks.  Same basic trip. If a tender tour think 11 step the Rest can be elevator. If Greenwich is in this then a few more steps and a tender as well.  We are 70 with zero issues.  

On 8/2/2023 at 4:45 PM, Catlover54 said:

Good to know that there are no toilets on this excursion.  Practical issues like that often tend to be omitted by the likely young and healthy people writing the excursion descriptions (not just on Viking, but on most lines).  Guests can wear Arctic style clothing and use hand warmers and even bring a thermos with their own drinks to stay warm. But unless they have bladders that can expand to the size of cantaloupes (or are men capable of moderate stealth) 4+ hours without a toilet or even an outhouse opportunity (even if drinking absolutely nothing beforehand the day of the excursion) does not work for many women, especially senior women.

Ladies should go behind the bus, men behind trees 😁

On 8/4/2023 at 10:15 PM, KBs mum said:

Ladies should go behind the bus, men behind trees 😁

An excursion with no toilet facilities would not work for me due to health issues. Is this the norm for Viking excursions and how can I check before I book? 

Madmedic

We have never had a Viking inclusive tour that didn’t have toilet facilities fairly regularly, but the NL tour that I mentioned in post 3 of this thread was definitely ‘wilderness/forest’.  We only found out about this at the port talk, as we’d assumed it would have the same facilities as the one in Alta.  
When we explained that we were not happy to do the tour with these conditions, Viking refunded our money even though it was after the deadline for cancellation.  
I suggest you see the tour manager to ask about any problems you might foresee as the tour descriptions are rather generic.  This was  true of the Alta and Tromso tours that had the same description but were not identical in their facilities.  I have always found the reception and tour staff on board  (in fact all staff on board and shoreside UK)  to be very helpful.  We have done 19 cruises with Viking.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, madmedic said:

An excursion with no toilet facilities would not work for me due to health issues. Is this the norm for Viking excursions and how can I check before I book? 

The best thing is to contact Viking at TellUs@vikingcruises.com, or start a new thread specifically asking for info from people who went on the night time excursions or any other excursions you are interested in. 

Toilet facilities vary on all excursions, if available there will be comfort breaks, normally two hours is about the maximum between them. 

There is a night time lights excursion that goes to a traditional Saami building, I am fairly certain there are facilities there. 

An independent excursion would enable you to tailor things to facilitate the breaks you need, the roll calls will have suggestions for firms. 

One thing to look out for is frozen water (puddles) under the snow. The tactic is very small steps keeping the weight over the feet. Don't move one until the other is secure. If used canes should be vertical and not at an angle to help prevent slips. Guess how I discovered this😏

When alighting from a bus it may be safer to sit on the step then stand up rather than a step down from a bit of a height onto uncertain traction. 

I found the grippy metal things I have for ice more of a hassle than they were worth as there was often nowhere to sit to put on or take off. I wore waterproof overtrousers in case I accidently sat in the snow. 

My comment about the bus and the tree was lighthearted, but one chap told me he had to resort to that. 

The best lights on our sailing were visible from the ship on the way to Alta, so not going out on one of the long excursions won't necessarily prevent seeing them. 

The sledge excursions are apparently bumpy and may cause pain if someone has a muscular or skeletal condition. 

Please don't be put off by all this, with research and acceptance of limitations you will be fine. The ship itself is pretty good for the mobility impaired, shower stools can be provided on request. 

The ramp is actually stairs but has good sturdy handrails, I'm told the tenders are fairly easy but I have not had to try it for myself

• Like 1