BARS NOT OPEN AT CERTAIN EMBARKATION PORTS?

Understand if you bought something onboard Royal will report it to customs.  Bought a ring on board.  Declared it but still had lots of questions from customs.  They assumed if we bought 1 thing must have bought more. Didn't except little stuff for the kids. And oh yes, and way under limit for 1 person let alone for 2!

9 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Understand if you bought something onboard Royal will report it to customs.  Bought a ring on board.  Declared it but still had lots of questions from customs.  They assumed if we bought 1 thing must have bought more. Didn't except little stuff for the kids. And oh yes, and way under limit for 1 person let alone for 2!

If you were under the $800 why did you declare it? Or whatever the one person amount is. If I buy something onboard I dont declare it if it's not over and mine never is. Big ticket items cheaper at home. 

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I haven't been through the new terminal, yet, so I don't know how they handle that there.  Is what you described at the new terminal?  But, the old terminal that Rust Bucket Cruise Lines used had exactly what you described, a table and a sign.  When I saw it, I didn't bring any alcohol back, so honest or not, it didn't apply to me.  I think, however, I would be honest.  Spending my youth career in the Law Enforcement field, including criminal investigation, I don't think I could sleep at night knowing what I did if I didn't declare what I had, even if it is only a State thing.  

The TABC table has been eliminated at the new terminal, at least I haven't seen it in the 3 times I have been through

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

If you were under the $800 why did you declare it? Or whatever the one person amount is. If I buy something onboard I dont declare it if it's not over and mine never is. Big ticket items cheaper at home. 

1. They knew. Royal told them. 2. We declare, though have never gone over.  They never usually pay attention.

The $800.00 is a U.S. Government Duty-Free Allotment/allowable, not the State of Texas.  

A funny experience I had at Port Everglades, a long time ago.  We did have a couple of bottles of Tequila each and we tried to declare it at the kiosk.  The officer asked, two times, with a strange grin on his face after I told him that we had two bottles, twice.  I finally caught on and told him, "No, nothing".  He smiled and said, thanks, you are free to go.    

Sometimes, especially if it's busy or getting close to the end of the shift, they just don't want to deal with the process that it involves.  

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The TABC table has been eliminated at the new terminal, at least I haven't seen it in the 3 times I have been through

I've seen the table. It's now all the way almost to the exit. I imagine by the time you get there you are looking at the exit, not a small table with someone sitting there with a sign. 

On 8/4/2023 at 10:58 AM, Cruisin Kay D said:

I recall somewhere we boarded a cruise ship that we were charged an extra state/local tax on drinks purchased on embarkation day before the ship sailed.    Where specifically is that?

You will have to pay State tax for drinks ordered prior to getting out in international waters in NJ and FL.  When we boarded in Bayonne and upgraded our beverage package, they would take down our folio number on our seapass and ring up the transaction once we got out to sea.

On 8/6/2023 at 12:41 PM, Wineaux007 said:

You will have to pay State tax for drinks ordered prior to getting out in international waters in NJ and FL.  When we boarded in Bayonne and upgraded our beverage package, they would take down our folio number on our seapass and ring up the transaction once we got out to sea.

Unless you are ordering on a pre purchased drink package; then no sales tax

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Unless you are ordering on a pre purchased drink package; then no sales tax

If you have no drink packages whatsoever, you will pay the state sales tax on drinks purchased while in port.  The signing slip will show cost of drink + state tax + gratuity.  In fact, you will pay the state sales tax on any purchases made while in port.  For high item purchases like beverage/dining packages, they will take your info then ring it up when they get out to sea.

3 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

If you have no drink packages whatsoever, you will pay the state sales tax on drinks purchased while in port.  The signing slip will show cost of drink + state tax + gratuity.  In fact, you will pay the state sales tax on any purchases made while in port.  For high item purchases like beverage/dining packages, they will take your info then ring it up when they get out to sea.

Yeah, I know