Celebrity is offering me 30% off a drink package on Ascent next year...

Stockjock

But they're also offering me 50% off the drink packages on an upcoming Greek Isles cruise soon.

30% off is tempt, but I suspect that they'll offer 50% off on next year's cruise sooner or later.

Would you grab the 30% off or wait a bit?

15 minutes ago, marianoam said:

Do they usually do those last minute discounts as the travel date approaches? How many days before the departure date? If so, I think I should wait to buy my beverage package.

Read the comment directly prior to yours. There's no reason to wait. If the beverage package gets cheaper in the future, just cancel your existing package and repurchase at the lower rate.

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Read the comment directly prior to yours. There's no reason to wait. If the beverage package gets cheaper in the future, just cancel your existing package and repurchase at the lower rate.

Yes, I've read it. But my reasoning is that a company of Celebrity's size should have carefully segmented marketing campaigns so as not to lower the price to customers who have already bought a package, in order not to lose revenue. I see, from what you say, that this is not the case.

25 minutes ago, marianoam said:

Yes, I've read it. But my reasoning is that a company of Celebrity's size should have carefully segmented marketing campaigns so as not to lower the price to customers who have already bought a package, in order not to lose revenue. I see, from what you say, that this is not the case.

IME beverage packages go on sale for certain times and certain sailings, but not for certain passengers.

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

There could be a reason to wait, although I understand the logic.

I'll be sailing on Infinity within a few weeks.  I had previously purchased the Classic Package for 50% off.  Today, they offered the upgrade to Premium Package at 50% off ($10 per day), which I accepted.  But that's it.  No other mention of Classic or Premium packages.

But...if I had purchased the Premium Package already at 30% off, would they later offer me that same package at 50% off.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Edited by Stockjock

2 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I'll be sailing on Infinity within a few weeks.  I had previously purchased the Classic Package for 50% off.  Today, they offered the upgrade to Premium Package at 50% off ($10 per day), which I accepted.  But that's it.  No other mention of Classic or Premium packages.

But...if I had purchased the Premium Package already at 30% off, would they later offer me that same package at 50% off.  I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

So far, I haven’t seen any flash sales offered only to some passengers (booked on the same cruise) depending on what they have already purchased, rather than offered to all passengers on that cruise. But considering all the other changes, it doesn’t mean they couldn’t if they chose to, I guess. Or that they couldn’t change the policy that allows guests to cancel, without penalty, to rebook at the better price when flash sales occur.  

19 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

So far, I haven’t seen any flash sales offered only to some passengers (booked on the same cruise) depending on what they have already purchased, rather than offered to all passengers on that cruise. But considering all the other changes, it doesn’t mean they couldn’t if they chose to, I guess. Or that they couldn’t change the policy that allows guests to cancel, without penalty, to rebook at the better price when flash sales occur.  

But in order to take advantage of the offers, the offers must actually be offered (visible), correct?  As I mentioned, on the cruise where I booked the 50% off of the basic package, I can only see the 50% off offer to a premium upgrade.  Basic package and premium packages are not offered, presumably because I already bought a package.  I am also presuming that I'd see both packages offered, had I not already purchased one.

Edited by Stockjock

1 hour ago, Stockjock said:

But in order to take advantage of the offers, the offers must actually be offered (visible), correct?  As I mentioned, on the cruise where I booked the 50% off of the basic package, I can only see the 50% off offer to a premium upgrade.  Basic package and premium packages are not offered, presumably because I already bought a package.  I am also presuming that I'd see both packages offered, had I not already purchased one.

I upgraded from classic to premium today.  Although I already had the classic package, I saw the sale price for the classic package, the premium package as well as the flash sale to upgrade to premium.  Same thing with wifi. Saw them all there although already have a Wifi package. I understand your point; I’ve just never had your described experience.  

8 minutes ago, Islander500 said:

I upgraded from classic to premium today.  Although I already had the classic package, I saw the sale price for the classic package, the premium package as well as the flash sale to upgrade to premium.  Same thing with wifi. Saw them all there although already have a Wifi package. I understand your point; I’ve just never had your described experience.  

We also like specialty coffee drinks, and they're included in the premium package, but apparently not in the classic package.

I have 3 Celebrity cruises booked.  One in a few weeks, which I upgraded from classic to premium today, a Baja California cruise in a few months, and we did premium on that one, and our 2024 Ascent cruise does not have a drink package just yet.  But if they offer me 50% on that one, I'll bite.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stockjock said:

They won’t email you about something you booked already.

You just need to go in as if you want to buy it again in your account - you’ll see the current price being offered. If cheaper buy it again and cancel the original package.

I’ve done it with excursions and saved £100 by doing this. I still check regularly to see if it’s reduced again.

I paid with OBC so I needed to cancel and await refund to account before buying again but the refund was instant.

It’s worth the 2 mins it takes to check the price.

• Like 1