Not a newbie sails Odyssey August 11, 2023. Alaska: Glaciers, Fjords & Inside Passage

jondfk

1 hour ago, CalmSea said:

I just checked the Source. The MDR is opened both for breakfast and lunch today.

This being a sea day, 3 meals offered today in the Restaurant.  Last sailing, for reasons unclear to me the Restaurant was open on Ketchikan day, which is tomorrow, stand by for an open / closed report.

If todays breakfast service repeats tomorrow we will be using room service the next 12 days.

I pray to have more positive news for my next report.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jondfk said:

This being a sea day, 3 meals offered today in the Restaurant.  Last sailing, for reasons unclear to me the Restaurant was open on Ketchikan day, which is tomorrow, stand by for an open / closed report.

If todays breakfast service repeats tomorrow we will be using room service the next 12 days.

I pray to have more positive news for my next report.

I see a silver lining in your breakfast episode this morning. Obviously, the management was not expecting the large crowd at the MDR. In previous sailings, usage of the MDR for breakfast is sparce. Because passengers are showing up in numbers today, the management should make adjustments for tomorrow. If not, please complaint but do not give in. There are many other good reasons to switch to room service on a port day, but switching because the breakfast service at the MDR is poor should not be one of them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jondfk said:

Who me?  You know I would only be in Colonnade if the Restaurant was closed.

No tables available means no tables set for breakfast, laid out for dinner and the changeover is quite daunting if you have no staff on duty.

Wow.  They were not prepared.  I guess people DO want to have breakfast in the dining room.  

12 hours ago, CalmSea said:

I see a silver lining in your breakfast episode this morning. Obviously, the management was not expecting the large crowd at the MDR. In previous sailings, usage of the MDR for breakfast is sparce. Because passengers are showing up in numbers today, the management should make adjustments for tomorrow. If not, please complaint but do not give in. There are many other good reasons to switch to room service on a port day, but switching because the breakfast service at the MDR is poor should not be one of them.

Well I guess you predicted the situation quite well, management has opted to solve the problem for today …. By closing the Restaurant for both breakfast and lunch. It appears that the lesson learned was, we can’t manage it so let’s just give up.

18 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Well I guess you predicted the situation quite well, management has opted to solve the problem for today …. By closing the Restaurant for both breakfast and lunch. It appears that the lesson learned was, we can’t manage it so let’s just give up.

Very disappointing.  I hope you register your disappointment.  You COULD try the veranda of the Colonnade and order from the menu there.   I know you prefer the Restaurant--as do we.  

Challenges in the Restaurant continue though with some improvements.  Last night was the formal for this leg, we joined a long queue 10 or 15 minutes after the Restaurant opened, the queue moved slow but steady.  We reached the front and both feet hit the brakes, something was obviously shown on the screen that caused a pause.  We were led towards a table, but the host had doubts mid walk turning back to the desk, the asst manager intercepted saying “yes that table”, we started out again, as we approached “our” table the usual glassware was gone, special wine glasses placed and a bottle of wine decanted, the hostess again hesitated looking for direction, “yes that table” said the asst, DW hesitated to sit as the napkin had quite obviously been used.  Back to the desk we went.  Asst took us to another table in the same section.  She returned a bit later to remove the wine and reset the table, she then stopped by our table to explain that a couple had split up at checkin, claimed two tables and then met to confer over which table they preferred, such creativity, that idea never occurred to me.

Dinner proceeded without additional gaffs and with a bit of extra attention from the asst manager.  We expected the F&B manager might stop by, he did not, but we did see him in the room which is perhaps an improvement of sorts.

Edited by jondfk

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

That was disappointing! I was hoping that when enough passengers show interest in having breakfast in the MDR, they would adjust by opening it, but not the other way around. After all the discussion about restaurant openings on the Ovation thread, I am still puzzled.

4 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

That was disappointing! I was hoping that when enough passengers show interest in having breakfast in the MDR, they would adjust by opening it, but not the other way around. After all the discussion about restaurant openings on the Ovation thread, I am still puzzled.

Perhaps someone should go to the Food and Beverage Manager and ask about this and express an definite preference for the MDR opening for breakfast and lunch.  

Thank you for your very timely reports from the Odyssey and a big congratulations on your milestone anniversary and well deserved upgrade! There are 4 of us Californians joining you in Juneau, (2 from SF and 2 from LA). We have always had very pleasant experiences on SB and Silversea but your reporting is a good reminder to keep all expectations in check. 

A non-food related question: How has the weather been so far? And are the SB expedition "jackets" helpful or are mere vanity wear? Trying to figure out if we need to bring our own outerwear or can we really rely upon the complimentary swag? Usually in Alaska, layers are the answer anyway to ensure comfort. Thanks again for your generous reporting...nice job!

27 minutes ago, FogGuys said:

Thank you for your very timely reports from the Odyssey and a big congratulations on your milestone anniversary and well deserved upgrade! There are 4 of us Californians joining you in Juneau, (2 from SF and 2 from LA). We have always had very pleasant experiences on SB and Silversea but your reporting is a good reminder to keep all expectations in check. 

A non-food related question: How has the weather been so far? And are the SB expedition "jackets" helpful or are mere vanity wear? Trying to figure out if we need to bring our own outerwear or can we really rely upon the complimentary swag? Usually in Alaska, layers are the answer anyway to ensure comfort. Thanks again for your generous reporting...nice job!

Hi FogGuys:

We just got off the 14 day cruise ending last Friday.  We ordered the black windbreaker/rain jackets, but I found the sleeves were too short for me, so I took it to the jacket exchange.  I traded it in for the lined blue jacket which I used a lot over the course of the cruise.  They still had piles of these older blue jackets available in most sizes. 

Some days short sleeves were okay, some days long sleeves, some days sweater/fleece or the heavier lined jack worked the best.  Think layers, layers, layers, and you will always be okay.  A brimmed rain hat or cap is helpful.

We were treated to this sailing from Wrangell:

IMG_7295.thumb.jpg.13e141595ecb67d5d5e804f3c28ac162.jpg

IMG_7299.thumb.jpg.5a2df8d5c322feafccdcb383dc355ba1.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FogGuys said:

Hi there.  It’s early days yet weather wise, first couple days were bright (well quite foggy the first night out of Vancouver) and warm enough for short sleeves.  Today, in Ketchikan is rain off and on temp in the low sixties.  For me, we’re still in shorts range, for DW, more capris and a turtleneck.

The forecast ahead I’m afraid suggests rain when you join not sure what follows weather wise looks like cooler days at least in Juneau.

The jacket is quite lightweight which suits me fine, as someone wrote the alternate ‘parka’ (that’s the Seabourn term) is a bit heavier but by no means a real parka, it is a more attractive color.

see you onboard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FogGuys said:

And are the SB expedition "jackets" helpful or are mere vanity wear?

The blue jackets with orange trim that were given out last year are much more than vanity wear.  It was all I needed for my Alaska cruise last fall (end of September and beginning of October).  I also brought it along as my only jacket on my 2-week Iceland cruise last month and it was the only jacket I needed. 

I'm not sure if the new jackets are different, but the ones that were used last year had three layers, were wind- and rain-resistant, and were lightweight, so easy to travel with.  You certainly couldn't use them as ski parkas, but they are more than adequate for the usual Alaska itineraries...and they might even help you survive a summer in the Outer Sunset!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This years jackets are best described as windbreakers or rain shells, little or no insulation, but as I wrote perfect for me in a variety of situations.

I assume but can’t know if the alternative blue jackets are left from last year, presumably so.  They clearly are insulated, I imagine your description is accurate.  Most sizes were reported as available  though the stock will last only as far as it lasts.  I would estimate approximately 25% of folks showed up for the exchange on this sailing.

A funny note, several of us were milling around waiting for the door to open, at some point it occurred to a few of us that we could horse trade directly amongst ourselves (if only looking for.a size change) a number of us escaped a wait by making “side deals”.  The funny part is it took 10 minutes for the thought to go through anyone’s mind.  Future sailors…

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Finally, I’m able to post without reservation a positive dining experience for our third dinner at the Restaurant.  A pre dinner speaker stretched out the arrivals leading to no wait for seating, we ask for and got an unoccupied table with our server from the prior evening, I would describe him as low personality but high competence, an excellent balance.  He offered the wines of the day, but mentioned that he had the white I preferred from last evening ready, this proved the best choice, and his being prepared for this was a display of attentive hospitality.

The meal itself was very good, not sure if it’s just me, but the classics always seem just a step above.  Perhaps practice does make perfect.  

We left feeling as though our positive memories of Ovation were more than a mirage, and that our expectations are not so unreasonable.

Today, once again, the Restaurant is closed for both breakfast and lunch.  Fingers crossed some sort of special appears in Colonnade.  A report will follow.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, jondfk said:

Today, once again, the Restaurant is closed for both breakfast and lunch.  Fingers crossed some sort of special appears in Colonnade.  A report will follow.

On my Source App, it shows a breakfast menu for the Restaurant for today. Lunch is listed as closed. Same for yesterday. Can I bother you to check your Source App on board? I suspect the menu listing on the Soruce App is not up to date. The other possibility is that what is shown on board is different from what is shown when no on board.

20 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

On my Source App, it shows a breakfast menu for the Restaurant for today. Lunch is listed as closed. Same for yesterday. Can I bother you to check your Source App on board? I suspect the menu listing on the Soruce App is not up to date. The other possibility is that what is shown on board is different from what is shown when no on board.

Onboard, is says the same (meaning the breakfast menu is posted) this however is not a reliable indicator as to whether breakfast will be served.  Wasn’t yesterday, and isn’t today, although the asst manager parted with us last evening saying”see you in the morning”.

Since the breakfast menu doesn’t change I suspect they just leave it posted continuously open or not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jondfk said:

although the asst manager parted with us last evening saying”see you in the morning”.

I suggest you call and find out whether the MDR is open for breakfast or not. I have known cases where the Herald gives the wrong information!

8 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

I suggest you call and find out whether the MDR is open for breakfast or not. I have known cases where the Herald gives the wrong information!

Just went there to check for myself.  All tables set for dinner and the person working the area assured me the Herald is correct.  Closed for breakfast and lunch.

Sorry

1 minute ago, jondfk said:

Just went there to check for myself.  All tables set for dinner and the person working the area assured me the Herald is correct.  Closed for breakfast and lunch.

Sorry

I am sorry to hear that too!

I started reading this thread last week and was looking forward to hearing abiut the trip. Despite Two separate threads recently discussing whether the MDR is open for breakfast and lunch 😴, this thread is following the same pattern. 
What amazes me most is that the people who want silver service for every seem to be the same people who don’t appropriately when required.

Anyway, I will be taking a back seat from Cruise ‘criticisms’ for now as it is too depressing.

I will be looking forward instead to a positive cruise in November eating as the mood takes me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dunnedg said:

I will be looking forward instead to a positive cruise in November eating as the mood takes me.

Disembarked the Odyssey 3 days ago.  We had a wonderful 2 week cruise and overall we were very pleased with the dining and service.  My only real service issue was getting, real fast, 1/2 and 1/2 with my morning coffee in the colonnade.  Otherwise, we were very pleased with the offerings and wonderful team on the odyssey.  

nancy

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Dunnedg said:

I started reading this thread last week and was looking forward to hearing abiut the trip. Despite Two separate threads recently discussing whether the MDR is open for breakfast and lunch 😴, this thread is following the same pattern. 
What amazes me most is that the people who want silver service for every seem to be the same people who don’t appropriately when required.

Anyway, I will be taking a back seat from Cruise ‘criticisms’ for now as it is too depressing.

Did you leave a word out of your post?  Are you saying that people who want silver service don't dress appropriately?  Where would you get that idea?  Mr. SLSD and I always dress appropriately even though we favor elegant casual every night.  We state our preferences, but meet dress codes.  Please explain if you were thinking of something else.  

On 8/5/2023 at 11:17 AM, CalmSea said:

And it is a flat rate of cdn 38 from YVR to downtown.

A small update here, the flat rate we were charged was 43 cdn not sure if that’s a recent increase, in any case it seems to us completely reasonable given the distance and traffic, a bargain even.