First timer with quick questions

krufrank

Long time cruiser. First time NCL. 

1. Does coffee come “free” with breakfasts in dining rooms/O’Sheehan’s?

2. Shat beverages come “free” in dining rooms/buffets with lunch/supper?

3. I prepaid gratuities. Do I need to expect to pay other gratuities (over and above prepaid ones) that are mandatory (not at our discretion for great service). 

4. Can I upgrade internet package once on board?

We set sail tomorrow (Monday). 

1 minute ago, krufrank said:

3. I prepaid gratuities. Do I need to expect to pay other gratuities (over and above prepaid ones) that are mandatory (not at our discretion for great service). 

Coffee is available with no additional cost, unless you choose a "specialty" coffee (Latte and such).

Some drinks are no charge.  However, Soft drinks (Sodas)and alcoholic beverages are not, unless you have the Free at Sea Beverage package included (20% cost of package value is added to your invoice, if you did select).

If you paid the Daily Service Charge, then "tipping" is not required, but very much appreciated!

Yes, you can upgrade internet onboard.

1. Yes

2. Don't know what "shat beverages" are, but you can have beverage package drinks in restaurants. (They are not free without the package)

3. It's up to you if you want to tip anyone. Not mandatory.

4. Yes. On my recent 12-day cruise upgrade was offered for around $70 after a couple of days. (I had used some of minutes but had plenty left and did not upgrade)

Edited by Asawi

15 minutes ago, krufrank said:

Yes. You can get free coffees, ice teas, juices, milk in all restaurants including the buffet. The buffet also has flavored waters. Depending on the ship, there will also be coffee stations out on deck in the mornings. Fresh Squeezed juices, specialty coffees (Starbucks), energy drinks, sports drinks all have additional charge ($). 

No. Other than the pre-paid gratuities, you can leave the ship with a zero bill. No other mandatory charges. Providing additional tip to bar staff and your room steward is always appreciated. 

Yes. When you connect to the internet, it will give you the option of using your free minutes or upgrading to an unlimited plan (regular unlimited or streaming unlimited). NOTE: It is satellite internet shared by several thousand of your new friends onboard. Think about it as 2000 people all hitting your home wifi at the same time.... very slow. 

I will add clarification for number 3:  Free at Sea gratuities are separate lines from the prepaid gratuities.  If you did all of the FAS and prepaid gratuities, you should have 3 services charges on your invoice.  There will be no additional service fees unless you make purchases onboard that require them; such as alcohol outside of the package, additional paid dining, or spa treatments.

Happy Cruising!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, krufrank said:

Yes you can. On Embarkation day log in and it will give you an option to upgrade. Take a note of the price. If you can, wait until Day 2 and do the same thing, it will probably be cheaper. Always has for me.

39 minutes ago, Asawi said:

2. Don't know what "shat beverages" are, but you can have beverage package drinks in restaurants. (They are not free without the package)

Typo. LOL

i think I was asking “what” beverages are included free at restaurants and buffets 😉

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, krufrank said:

Typo. LOL

i think I was asking “what” beverages are included free at restaurants and buffets 😉

Aahh... Makes perfect sense! Tried to figure out what it was supposed to be but apprently failed...  😮 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, krufrank said:

Most folks have answered these, but just to add for what I see for number 3... you won't have to tip normally, but if you upcharge anything (e.g. order a drink more expensive than your drink package) you will be charged a gratuity.

• Like 1

if you want a nice treat, get your coffee in the buffet, then find the soft serve ice cream machine.  Put some soft serve into your coffee, sprinkle top with some of the brown sugar packet.  Tastes like a fancy specialty coffee ( which I never drink....maybe that's what it tastes like specialty coffee).  Have a great cruise

• Like 1

To summarize responses:

Regular ship coffee is free at all venues. 

My wife can get juices, milk and glasses of water gratis in MD + Buffett. 

I can upgrade Internet package once on board. I had opportunity through the app but it has since disappeared - likely due to being too close to sailing. 

I do not need to tip beyond the $760 prepaid gratuities (2 week trip for 2 people) unless we want to. 

Thanks for your responses. Two more questions if I may:

1. I know in the specialty restaurants you get ONE selection per food category BUT in MD is it the same as other lines - free to choose multiple apps, mains and desserts in one sitting?

2. I did make daily reservations in MD but if we choose to go elsewhere to eat some nights I am assuming we can abandon those reservations for that night?

I ask these questions as it appears to me, I could be wrong though, that NCL is far more stringent with its policies and procedures. 

1. I know in the specialty restaurants you get ONE selection per food category BUT in MD is it the same as other lines - free to choose multiple apps, mains and desserts in one sitting?

In the MDR, order what you want

I ask these questions as it appears to me, I could be wrong though, that NCL is far more stringent with its policies and procedures.

I'm curious how...

To summarize responses:

Regular ship coffee is free at all venues. 

My wife can get juices, milk and glasses of water gratis in MD + Buffett. 

I can upgrade Internet package once on board. I had opportunity through the app but it has since disappeared - likely due to being too close to sailing. 

I do not need to tip beyond the $760 prepaid gratuities (2 week trip for 2 people) unless we want to. 

Thanks for your responses. Two more questions if I may:

Correct with summary

The dining package covers 1 appetizer, 1 soup/salad, 1 entrée, 1 dessert. There are a few items (e.g., lobster) that have an additional charge which is clearly shown on menus. 

For the MDR, you can order as much as you want from all categories. 

2. I did make daily reservations in MD but if we choose to go elsewhere to eat some nights I am assuming we can abandon those reservations for that night?

Yes. Reservations at the MDR are typically not needed. NCL's Freestyle Dining allows you to eat when you are hungry or when it fits your schedule. Main Dining Room, Buffet (specials every night), and The Local/O'Sheehan's (24/7 restaurant) (specials every night) are available for dinner. 

The MDRs all serve the same menu from the same galley. 

NCL is far less stringent with policies. Especially when it comes to the MDR. You are not stuck with a fixed dining time and fixed table. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL is far less stringent with policies. Especially when it comes to the MDR. You are not stuck with a fixed dining time and fixed table. 

As I said, I may be wrong which is why we are interested in trying NCL. That said, they are the only major cruise line that does NOT let you bring water on board or any food (favourite snacks?). That’s pretty stringent. 

Their excursions, at least in Alaska, are double the price (3 times more expensive in some cases) than say Princess (which we’ve done 3 times). I am using and independent excursion company. 

I also found their upgrades on drink package and internet to be super pricy - again compared to the other lines we’ve travelled with. 

I was also told by our CP that we could NOT bring a small portable fan on board (this could prove to be false) and directed me to webpage which backed this up. Other lines you can. 

My wife has a C-Pap machine that needs distilled water. We made a request for some to be in our room and was told we had to bring it ourself. Not so with other lines. 

So I hope you can see how NCL appears more stringent from the outside looking in. 

That said, we are excited about Free Style Dining and having more food options open to us. We have also heard from many sources the entertainment on board is far superior than other lines. 

We are Princess Elite but NCL Prospects. LOL. Can’t wait to see how it all plays out. 

• Like 2

Where did you request the distilled water for the CPap from?  NCL does provide it so whomever told you that was wrong. I would call today to have it delivered to your room.

And you can bring prepackaged, sealed snacks on board...though with the amount of food on a ship, I never understood why someone would do that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Where did you request the distilled water for the CPap from?  NCL does provide it so whomever told you that was wrong. I would call today to have it delivered to your room.

And you can bring prepackaged, sealed snacks on board...though with the amount of food on a ship, I never understood why someone would do that.

Filled in form online 3 months ago. Got confirmation of receipt - they will get back to us. Two weeks ago called our CP and they said we had to bring our own. 

Same CP said no food or liquids allowed to be brought aboard (except wine). Directed me to online page. 

Not saying you are wrong, just telling you what we were told by NCL CP. Being brand new to this line we have nothing else to go from officially. 

You can ask for distilled water from your room steward once on board. You will get a gallon.

NCL is very Serious about recycling.  Customers bringing a large amount of plastic on board (in water bottles, sports drinks) makes this harder.  Plus empties get blown overboard, or left laying around the ship.

NCL water containers are designed to be shredded, and have quicker decomposition rates.  You will note all their juices also come in waxed cardboard vs plastic containers.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Lots of food but not a lot of tasty snacks in my opinion! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goldmom said:

You are also allowed to bring on battery or USB operated fans as long as they are small.  They changed their policy to no fans a few months ago but have now changed it back to allowing fans.

Our fan is plug in.