Taxi? Driver?

Gladys Kravitz

I’m wanting to see some sloths somewhere and then go to the West End and lounge on the beach with some food and drinks. Don’t want an all inclusive beach club. I’d prefer to take a taxi but the last time I was there in 2021, literally 50 drivers circled us begging to take us where we needed to go. It made me feel uncomfortable. When we did pick someone, they took us to an ally way where there was a dilapidated van with a woman driver that had her kids with her. The van door literally fell off on the hiway. Is there still no taxi stand or actual taxi companies? Also where should we eat and drink on the west end that’s on the beach?

Edited by Gladys Kravitz

Taxi on the island are not regulated. Most of us recommend you hire a private driver from a reputable company for the day. My current favorite is Jezy from Roatan Driver, they have a website. 

The west end of the island is a fairly large place, are you speaking about the village of West End eateries or are you asking about good and drink on West Bay Beach? 

Edited by Guest 2000

In your circumstances I would also pre-book a driver to save the hassle of making a decision on the day.

I presume since you were taken to an alley you were docked at Coxen hole? Unfortunately that is fairly common and even pre-booking doesn’t completely guarantee a good reliable vehicle although we have found it to be better when we have several places outlined to visit as opposed to transport to just one. It is time Roatan got its act together, if it wants to encourage multiple cruise ships and got itself an organized taxi service which, at the minimum, provides drop-off and pick-up between cruise ports and West End/West Bay on a reliable basis at an official price.

Roatan has been developing its cruise ship industry for over 20 years. Whilst popular with many it is certainly not my favorite port stop. Private drivers for the day are fine if you have a group and want flexibility to visit several places. They are overpriced for a ride from A to B and back for 1 or 2 people.

Are you docking at Coxen Hole or Mahogany Bay this time?

We have been to Roatan four times.  I must agree with Gladys about the taxi mob at Coxen Hole.  We turned around and got back on the ship on our third trip.  We were back this last May and I had booked a tour with Victor Bodden.  Best Roatan Tour yet.  This was a customized tour, inexpensive, great guide and no hassle.  This will be our Roatan norm from now on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clackey said:

We have been to Roatan four times.  I must agree with Gladys about the taxi mob at Coxen Hole.  We turned around and got back on the ship on our third trip.  We were back this last May and I had booked a tour with Victor Bodden.  Best Roatan Tour yet.  This was a customized tour, inexpensive, great guide and no hassle.  This will be our Roatan norm from now on.

We have been more than four times going back almost 20 years.

From our experience, the private driver is fine and reasonably economical the first few visits IF you want to tour. Eventually you know where you want to go and then it is a hassle.

Last time we pre- booked  driver just to take us to West END and back (closer than West Bay but not as easy to get group transport), there were no less than three attempts within Coxen Hole to pickup an accompanying “tour guide”. Eventually we had to say we were  getting out if he  didn’t just drive to West End. Every other time the driver just waited and returned when we were ready. This one went off to do a side job since we just wanted to stay put. He did return but it would be so much easier to just pick up a taxi and KNOW that you could easily pickup another one back. 

we have taken to  doing Maya Key, having drinks and snack at Captain Jacks or only booking excursions that include transport.

Edited by c-leg5

57 minutes ago, Gladys Kravitz said:

IT’s carnival so I believe we are docking Mahogany Bay. I’d like to go to the Lil town with the restaurants and shops and then plop myself down at a place like Captn Jacks. I hate to hire a driver just for that and a stop to see sloths. 

I agree with you it should be possible but I haven’t found it to be simple although it does sound as though you want to make multiple stops if you want sloths, West End/West Bay Captain Jack’s (Coxen Hole) - so not sure finding multiple rides would be straightforward but I confess I haven’t been since Covid, perhaps Roatan will surprise me after all these years! 

I have never been to Mahogany Bay - yes that is Carnival corporation port.

I assume you were at Coxen Hole previously?