A couple of Venice questions

irishgal432

This is the first time to Venice and we have a large group of 12.  Trying to get all the information for the group. Any recomendations for hotels?

We have to be at Tronchetto bus station at 9:30. I was thinking of booking a hotel close to Tronchetto so we can walk to the RCCL shuttle. Is that necessary or is it not too bad of a walk if we stay closer to St Marks square.  We have no mobility issues.  Any recomendations for hotels?

If we do the water shuttle or water taxi or bus  from the airport does it drop off close to Tronchetto?

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

If we do the water shuttle or water taxi or bus  from the airport does it drop off close to Tronchetto?

Not really.  Tronchetto is the huge parking area which serves Venice. If you look at a map of Venice you will see Tronchetto out on a limb to the west side and St Marks Square off to the east side, a longish walk with luggage and becoming increasingly more crowded the closer you get to St Marks Square. Not recommended.

Ideally I think you want a hotel on Piazzale Roma, a transport hub.  You can get the airport bus to there, (frequent, inexpensive and quite a fast ride) and transfer to Tronchetto by the People Mover also  from there, or by taxi (with 11 in the group you would probably need 3 or 4). From Piazzale Roma you can also catch a vaporetto to St Marks Square which is a fair way across the city so you would not want to schlep luggage all that way especially in a group of 11.  Piazzale Roma gives you easy access to airport transfers and to Tronchetto and with vaporetti available for your sightseeing.

There have been multiple threads about Venice hotels.  Use the SEARCH tool under your username to find them.

You may also want to  browse this excellent website for other Venice info. It has been highly recommended for a number of years.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Edited by edinburgher

32 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Not really.  Tronchetto is the huge parking area which serves Venice. If you look at a map of Venice you will see Tronchetto out on a limb to the west side and St Marks Square off to the east side, a longish walk with luggage and becoming increasingly more crowded the closer you get to St Marks Square. Not recommended.

Ideally I think you want a hotel on Piazzale Roma, a transport hub.  You can get the airport bus to there, (frequent, inexpensive and quite a fast ride) and transfer to Tronchetto by the People Mover also  from there, or by taxi (with 11 in the group you would probably need 3 or 4). From Piazzale Roma you can also catch a vaporetto to St Marks Square which is a fair way across the city so you would not want to schlep luggage all that way especially in a group of 11.  Piazzale Roma gives you easy access to airport transfers and to Tronchetto and with vaporetti available for your sightseeing.

There have been multiple threads about Venice hotels.  Use the SEARCH tool under your username to find them.

You may also want to  browse this excellent website for other Venice info. It has been highly recommended for a number of years.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Thank you. I have been searching for hotels and such but this is the best concise information you have provided as far as logistics.  However when I put Piazzale Roma in google maps it shows a spot near Treviso which has been throwing me off.  I now see where it is.  I think I am booking Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo which seems to be aobut a 15 walk or water taxi ride. A little farther from the tronchetto station but the price is reasonabale and the reivews are good.

Edited by irishgal432

Don't underestimate the amount of bridges you may (or may not) have to cross!  I stayed after my cruise, and took a private (expensive yes, but worth every penny and they can hold several people) to my hotel, which was the Hotel Rialto near the bridge of the same name.  (TL;DR, but wound up at the JW Marriott as my room was quite hot, very small, especially the bathroom - knees hit wall when using the throne. I did book a small single, I should know better, and the area was a bit too crowded for my sanity.)

There's a website that will tell you how many bridges you'll have to cross to get to your hotel too (which appears to be associated with the link provided above.  Also, there are some great YouTubers who make using the Vaporetto almost 100% idiot proof. (As in I did it successfully several times, so if I can, you can.  But I did it without luggage!)   This is their channel name :  Nomad Citello (you can search for it on YT. Not sure if we can link...)

I agree with Piazzale Roma.  St. Mark's Square is crazy busy and probably not a good hotel choice.  Are you only in Venice for a day?  I had friends stay at the AC by Marriott hotel and they liked it.  Sure, it's a chain but they too used the bus and it worked out well for them.  

I was just in Venice in June and I loved it.  I found the water taxi to be well worth the cost since I'm a compulsive over packer with a bad knee.  People will use the Vaporetto and/or Alilaguna to get around (Alilaguna is also a floating bus but it has fewer routes and stops.  The Vaporetto is like a floating city bus).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo

Remember that private water taxis in Venice are quite expensive, and you may need more than one for 11 plus luggage, possibly as many as three,and even should you all decide the extra cost is worth it,   does your hotel have a private dock? If not, how far away is the closest stop where your private taxis would drop you all off?  And if there is no private dock, how many bridges will you all have to carry your luggage across?  Many visitors looking for accommodation in Venice take the number of bridges into account in addition to location, also easy access to the train station and Pizzale Roma for airport buses, vaporetti and the People Mover for easy arrival and departure, because unless you are using porters or expensive private water taxis, you must carry your luggage over (mostly) stepped bridges.

However when I put Piazzale Roma in google maps it shows a spot near Treviso which has been throwing me off. 

Treviso is many many miles away from Venice, but perhaps there is also a Pizzale Roma there too and you didn't specify "Venice"?

For best info and results do look at the link I gave you in the post above. You should find everything you need to know on it.

Edited by edinburgher

A list of hotels on or within short walking distance of Piazzale Roma, where you catch the People Mover to Tronchetto:

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/10-hotels-near-airport-buses.htm

I have stayed in Hotel Santa Chiara (see map in link) and will be staying there again in October. It is a nice hotel and extremely convenient.

• Like 2