Nice Travel in Reykjavik

westcoastBC

We will be in Reykjavik July 6, 2024. I was looking at Golden Circle Tours and there were so many to choose from. I narrowed it down to a tour with Nice Travel going to Blue Lagoon,Kerid Volcano,Fullfoss Waterfall. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, westcoastBC said:

We will be in Reykjavik July 6, 2024. I was looking at Golden Circle Tours and there were so many to choose from. I narrowed it down to a tour with Nice Travel going to Blue Lagoon,Kerid Volcano,Fullfoss Waterfall. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

You probably mean Gullfoss waterfall, which is on the Golden Circle (and quite spectacular). There is no Fullfoss in Iceland.

Blue Lagoon is a hokey, man made tourist trap. Your time is better spent elsewhere. Do not go on any tour which does not include Þingvellir National Park. Gullfoss is spectacular - even more so than Niagara Falls. Consider a good guide book and a rented car.

• Like 2

We toured with Your day tours, but saw Nice vans at the same sites. The guides of both companies seemed to be friends. I’d not hesitate to use Nice or Your day tours. We enjoyed South coast tour, golden circle and Snaefellsnes day tours in 4 extra days in Reykjavik before our cruise. We did not visit Blue lagoon. 

7 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Other folks recommend Sky Lagoon south of Reykjavik.

If you must - less crowded and blatently touristy. But, with all the spectacular scenery the country has to offer why spend time in what amounts to a bath tub?

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

Blue Lagoon is a hokey, man made tourist trap. Your time is better spent elsewhere. Do not go on any tour which does not include Þingvellir National Park. Gullfoss is spectacular - even more so than Niagara Falls. Consider a good guide book and a rented car.

Agreed. The lure of Iceland is its geography/geology and the Golden Circle tours bring you up-close-and-personal to geysers and hot springs, waterfalls and plate tectonics (which is just one of the reasons that Þingvellir is a must-see; the other is its role in the history of the early European settlers of the island). 

The North America plate is on your left and the European is on the right.

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBESTb4fGPy3pCsiF_i-j35fUmbPpXl4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1626400913

• Like 4

One big consideration, IMO, is if the tour is being run in a large bus or a smaller van.

The former are generally less expensive, but you spend a lot of time in the process of managing a bigger group of people.  The latter tends to be a more personal experience, with interactions with the driver/tour guide.  And the guides in the vans tend to be more flexible in the way the day progresses.

My favorite tour was four people in a 4x4 going off-road in the back country.  Never could have done that in a 50 passenger bus.

YMMV.

• Like 3

Well, I was in Iceland last Thanksgiving for multiple days (not a cruise), and I had a great time. We went mainly to see the Northern Lights, but it was not our first trip to the country.

The Blue Lagoon is not really a part of a Golden Circle trip--one can sit in the water there and relax for hours.  It is like a spa experience--very steamy, water is not deep enough to swim in, just wade, full service bar, facial masks, etc.  Yes, it is worth doing just to enjoy in between tours, but a bit pricey.

The Golden Circle usually includes the geysers, the waterfall, and Thingvellir, both a historic and a geological wonder. Sometimes they add the tomato greenhouse as well.  It is a full day of touring, and requires a bit of walking.  However, your weather should be nice, not chilly, or icy, or dark, like it was for us last Fall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 6:31 AM, westcoastBC said:

Thank you all for your responses they were very helpful. We have decided to rent a car and do the tour ourselves. 

Hi westcoast, looks like you’ve made your decision but I just wanted to let you know that we did the tour you mentioned with Nice Travel yesterday.  We had a great time and would be happy to do another excursion with them.  

We visited Pingvellir National Park, Geyser Center, Gulfoss Waterfall, Kerid Crater, and the Blue Lagoon.  It was a long but very interesting and enjoyable day.  Our guide was a geologist so that was an added plus.  We travelled in a shuttle bus that held 19 people.  We don’t think we would have been able to see all these things in one day on our own.  Highly recommend Nice Travel.

52 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

Hi westcoast, looks like you’ve made your decision but I just wanted to let you know that we did the tour you mentioned with Nice Travel yesterday.  We had a great time and would be happy to do another excursion with them.  

We visited Pingvellir National Park, Geyser Center, Gulfoss Waterfall, Kerid Crater, and the Blue Lagoon.  It was a long but very interesting and enjoyable day.  Our guide was a geologist so that was an added plus.  We travelled in a shuttle bus that held 19 people.  We don’t think we would have been able to see all these things in one day on our own.  Highly recommend Nice Travel.

Gunnar?

On 8/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, westcoastBC said:

Thank you.

I posted this on our Roll Call (Viking Venus, July 2024):

"For our self-designed Iceland post extension, we have successfully set up our hotel and (non-Viking) excursions:

• Center Hotels Arnarhvoll (across the street from Harpa)

• Golden Circle and Waterfalls, with Fridheimar Farm and Kerid in small group

Thingvellir

Oxararfoss

Efstidalur farm

Gullfoss

Geysir/Strokkur

Fridheimar farm

Kerid crater

• Whale Watching tour from Reykjavik

Kollafjodur

Videy Island

Faxafloi Bay

• South Coast day tour in a small group

Seljalandsfoss

Gljufrabui

Skogafoss

Solheimajokull

Reynisfjara

• Snaefellsnes Peninsula in a small group tour with home-cooked meal included

Berserkjahraun

Kirkjufell

Djupalonssandur

Arnastapi

Budakirkja"

The Small Group tours are by EastWest (we used them before in 2021 and like them). The Whale Watching is by Reykjavik Sailors.