Looking for Wheelchair/Scooter Accessible Excursions

shorti503

We are going to Boston, MA; Portland, ME; Sydney, Nova Scotia; Halifax, Nova Scotia; and Saint John, NB  in September 2024.  My mom has Parkinson's and very limited mobility.  She is pretty much wheelchair bound.  She can do transfers if they are not big (like a handful of steps), she can do some steps if they are wide enough for my dad to do them with her so he can help her.  She has a wheelchair that we push her around in and we can rent a scooter if needed.  

What type of excursions do you suggest that are handicap accessible?  She would LOVE to be able to go whale watching if there is a place that can accommodate her with getting on and off the boat. 

I appreciate the help.  This is a trip for my parents 50th Anniversary and she is feeling bad that she will hold everyone back and says she just wont get off the ship.  So I'm determined to find things that we can all do together.  We are also not opposed to renting a car somewhere if that would be the easiest option for us. 

For Halifax, just walk the boardwalk. There's plenty of shops and all sorts of restaurants. It runs about a mile and a half or so and it's right there as soon as you get off the ship. Portland is very easy too. Old Town is there as soon as you get off the ship. Lots of seafood shops nearby. Also a railroad as soon as you get off the ship that has a lift to get you into the car. If you want to rent a scooter, keep in mind you need to go through a third party vendor such as scootaround. The ship doesn't provide them. And when dining, request a table near the entrance. It's difficult to get a wheelchair or scooter to the back of the dining room.

On 8/8/2023 at 1:56 AM, mets123 said:

For Halifax, just walk the boardwalk. There's plenty of shops and all sorts of restaurants. It runs about a mile and a half or so and it's right there as soon as you get off the ship. Portland is very easy too. Old Town is there as soon as you get off the ship. Lots of seafood shops nearby. Also a railroad as soon as you get off the ship that has a lift to get you into the car. If you want to rent a scooter, keep in mind you need to go through a third party vendor such as scootaround. The ship doesn't provide them. And when dining, request a table near the entrance. It's difficult to get a wheelchair or scooter to the back of the dining room.

Thank you!  I never even thought about the dining room! 

28 minutes ago, shorti503 said:

Thank you!  I never even thought about the dining room! I'l

I'm guessing you're going on the Liberty next year. We'll be on her next month on the same itinerary so if you have specific questions let me know. My wife uses a wheelchair and we rent a scooter for use on the ship. I can answer questions from her perspective.