Is the $5 extra entree charge true in MDR?

RandomUser123

My wife on Facebook saw someone post that MSC is now charging $5 if you want a second entree in the MDR. Is this true? Extra appetizers and extra desserts are still no additional charge my wife told me. We have a MSC Meraviglia cruise in November. Cruise lines are just nickel and diming everywhere. 

• Like 2

This thread would stand a better chance of survival without the mention of where she saw the comment 🙂

Yes it has been confirmed on a couple of ships sailing out of US ports, not been mentioned elsewhere yet...

Not sure if this is 'nickel & diming' or a waste reduction measure...

• Like 2

True on Seascape. But not in Yacht Club. Got our mid cruise statement and no extra charges for my multiple desserts. Asked host the other night at the Skyline Restaurant and he confirmed a $5 charge for a second entree at all MDRs on this ship. Also no extra charge in YC restaurant for the two entrees at lunch I had.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

They hadn't added this to seascape last week; maybe just this week? (The post I saw said it was on seaside.)

Seaside and Seascape are the only two confirmed so far (morpheus is on Seascape this week)

9 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Seaside and Seascape are the only two confirmed so far (morpheus is on Seascape this week)

Glad we didn't have that last week. We never ordered two things, but if we asked about two options, the waiter would often just bring the second one out "just in case".

55 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Glad we didn't have that last week. We never ordered two things, but if we asked about two options, the waiter would often just bring the second one out "just in case".

Will be interested to hear feedback from those using the MDR as I would imagine that practice will have to stop...

Edited by Mark_T

I tried to call MSC about this and no information one way or the other is being provided about a future paid in full cruise.  The CSR just says refer to your cruise contract, which of course has no details about surcharge fees.

Very frustrating.

Edited by Pizzasteve

As far as "cut-backs" go, this feels like a very mild and sensible one compared to some of the cut-backs on other cruise lines. At least you still have the option for a second entree. On lines that have just closed the buffet for dinner or late-night snacks or gotten rid of evening turn-down service, you don't even have an option to pay extra for access to those things. Also, I don't really know what percentage of passengers this will impact at all. Why do you need two entrees at dinner? Especially if you can still get multiple apps and desserts if you need more food.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Why do you need two entrees at dinner? Especially if you can still get multiple apps and desserts if you need more food.

... and the buffet is still there as well for further calories if required...

We tend to agree, there is more than enough without having to order multiple entrées, yet from observation it is not an uncommon practice it seems.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Your deserts would be safe in the MDR as well, so no risk on that front 🙂

DW just wished they would put a $5 (or more) charge for MY desserts as she wants me to cut down since I couldn't lose the weight I gained on our last cruise. She says I am a good tipper, but when it comes to spending on myself I'm a Scrooge and I will not order more than one dessert.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Haha 1

This should have been done years ago. No one needs 2 dinners. The excuse that you just wanted to try a little is b.s. If that is truly the case it's only going to be $5. 

• Like 2

Just to elaborate, it is for 2nd entrees only.  I know this sounds ok to most but in May we cruised with three 23 year olds and they all ate two entrees every night (no charge on Carnival).   Glad appetizers and desserts are not affected.  

Edited by south-carolinagirl
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, south-carolinagirl said:

Just to elaborate, it is for 2nd entrees only.  I know this sounds ok to most but in May we cruised with three 23 year olds and they all ate two entrees every night (no charge on Carnival).   Glad appetizers and desserts are not affected.  

When they hit 30, look out.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

I've been on enough ships to know that not many of us need two entrees.  🙂. Myself included.  

Recently returned from European cruise on MSC Sinfonia and we ordered multiple appetizer / salads as well as entrees because the portion sizes were very small.

Unless MSC increases the size of portions, there will be an Italian mutiny as there are more Italians cruising Europe...

I have ordered 2 risottos and 2 entrees without dessert.

20230526_211221.jpg

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

True on Seascape. But not in Yacht Club. Got our mid cruise statement and no extra charges for my multiple desserts. Asked host the other night at the Skyline Restaurant and he confirmed a $5 charge for a second entree at all MDRs on this ship. Also no extra charge in YC restaurant for the two entrees at lunch I had.

You read my mind. I wondered about this exact thing. 
thank you. 

1 hour ago, 4sallypat said:

Recently returned from European cruise on MSC Sinfonia and we ordered multiple appetizer / salads as well as entrees because the portion sizes were very small.

Unless MSC increases the size of portions, there will be an Italian mutiny as there are more Italians cruising Europe...

I have ordered 2 risottos and 2 entrees without dessert.

20230526_211221.jpg

You mean the portions were standard upscale restaurant size, not Golden Coral size. No one will go hungry on a cruise. This is an absolute genius move. Why should I (or anyone else) be paying for someone else's extra plate in the cost of my cruise? 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Asked host the other night at the Skyline Restaurant and he confirmed a $5 charge for a second entree at all MDRs on this ship.

this sucks.

Well, I guess our first MSC cruise will be our last.

And to think that I was griping that Carnival was charging for the 3+ entrees.

If my kid doesn't like what he's ordered (which has happened before), it's free for him to order something else on other cruise lines. Apparently, not on MSC starting now.

We too had something we didn't like once in a while. I guess we'll have to be very choosy on our upcoming cruise. Well, like I said - it will be our last until they rescind this stupid rule. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, mvh said:

You mean the portions were standard upscale restaurant size, not Golden Coral size. No one will go hungry on a cruise. This is an absolute genius move. Why should I (or anyone else) be paying for someone else's extra plate in the cost of my cruise? 

it's not like your fare will be reduced... lol. Wishful thinking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

this sucks.

Well, I guess our first MSC cruise will be our last.

And to think that I was griping that Carnival was charging for the 3+ entrees.

Something tells me I won't be running into any of the negative commentors in the gym. 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, mvh said:

Maybe you be you and let everyone else be them?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3