problems booking dining time

lssg

We paid for our cruise in full and I wanted to book the same time and table everyday and I keep getting an error message and it will not let me do it in the app.  Very frustrated.  We want the same table and waiter for the full cruise is that not possible????

You can’t pre reserve the same table and waiters.  Do this the first night in the MDR.  Ask the Dining Room Manager (maître d) or the person at the podium located at the entrance.  You can, however, book the same dining times for each evening in the app.  You have to reserve each night separately for your desired dining time.  All this being said, it seems oftentimes this information, from the app to the ship,  does not always happen.  You might have to start all over once onboard.  You can also request table size and table location on the app and if you prefer a faster or slower pace of dining,  Again, maybe this will happen or maybe not.  Princess will try to accommodate your wishes.  Unfortunately, there really is no magic “Traditional Dining” choice.  Good luck!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

You can also request table size and table location on the app and if you prefer a faster or slower pace of dining,  Again, maybe this will happen or maybe not.  Princess will try to accommodate your wishes.  Unfortunately, there really is no magic “Traditional Dining” choice.  Good luck!

Useless option. Does not mean anything.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lssg said:

We paid for our cruise in full and I wanted to book the same time and table everyday and I keep getting an error message and it will not let me do it in the app.  Very frustrated.  We want the same table and waiter for the full cruise is that not possible????

Call Princess and pick the phone tree option for booked cruisers who need help with the app.

An agent will try to set up what you want.

But, even if they do set it up, work with the dining room supervisory staff the first evening to make what you intended a reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muffydawg said:

I successfully booked dinner reservations for our April voyage on Enchanted by using the Princess web version instead of the app.

Trying to do this using web version all is well until I get to dining reservation page and a different future booking appears.

I have reserved 6:30 p.m. dining every night upcoming Discovery Princess.  2 pax but we asked for a full table so we could talk to others.  A 2-top is not what we want.  Is this thread telling me we won't get the same table and same people every night, even though we are reserved already for the full week?

The same waiter means nothing to me.

The same tablemates.....can be good or bad depending on whether you hit it off.  If we don't like them, then it's a good thing if we don't get them again the next night.  But if we hit it off with another random group at the table, surely we can arrange to meet up for dinner on the upcoming nights at 6:30 and still be seated together?

4 hours ago, lssg said:

Get in line.  Have you seen other threads with the same theme?  Sorry you are having this issue, but DMW is obviously still buggy and temperamental.  Some folks accomplish the task and others not.

Have you tried the web version of the App?  It includes DMW booking and you might have better luck there. 

Otherwise, suggest you ask right away on Day 1 of DR Host or Mgmt and they should be able to accommodate.  There is likely one entire DR on your ship that isn't even loaded in the App right now, so there ought to be space.

PS - It's tedious if a longer cruise, but book one night at a time and see if that helps.

DMW will never guarantee anyone the same table and waiters each night.  You need to get with DR Host or DR Mgr in order to secure that.  It should be possible.  Remind them if necessary that PCL still promises the TD experience.

Edited by Steelers36

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Useless option. Does not mean anything.

Correct.  Why did they add this as it is not something waitstaff are made aware of.  Just let them know in person.  Also, for those sharing, someone who wants fast service could easily be seated with someone who doesn't care and someone else who expects to spend at least 2+ hrs in the DR.

15 minutes ago, deltahog said:

I have reserved 6:30 p.m. dining every night upcoming Discovery Princess.  2 pax but we asked for a full table so we could talk to others.  A 2-top is not what we want.  Is this thread telling me we won't get the same table and same people every night, even though we are reserved already for the full week?

The same waiter means nothing to me.

The same tablemates.....can be good or bad depending on whether you hit it off.  If we don't like them, then it's a good thing if we don't get them again the next night.  But if we hit it off with another random group at the table, surely we can arrange to meet up for dinner on the upcoming nights at 6:30 and still be seated together?

How did you ask for a "full table"?  No such thing in DMW.  All you can do is request "Sharing" and you have no choice as to the table size.

Also, DMW cannot possibly match-up and retain the same diverse group at the same sharing table.  Just not something possible in the software.  If you want to stick together, I suggest you discuss with tablemates on night one and see if all there are interested - or enough to make it worthwhile to you.  Them, speak to DR Host or Mgmt and see if they cannot "lock you in" there or perhaps a different table.  Remember that you could end up at a Sharing table with ad hoc walk-up guests and perhaps no one who booked sharing wanting to do what you want.  It's a sad thing for folks that do want the same group, but PCL just doesn't have that option available unless passengers can organize themselves.

PS - You and any like-minded tablemates could agree to meet at a specific time and DR and then ask to be seated together as walk-ups.  Table location is not important - I mean in terms of you not caring if same waiters.  That should work as well since I expect one of your three DR's isn't even loaded in DMW App.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

How did you ask for a "full table"?  No such thing in DMW.  All you can do is request "Sharing" and you have no choice as to the table size.

That's what I meant.  The choices were private table for 2 or Sharing.  I picked Sharing because we want to meet others.

Just now, deltahog said:

That's what I meant.  The choices were private table for 2 or Sharing.  I picked Sharing because we want to meet others.

Right.  That is fine.  You will randomly get a 6-top or 8-top with random guests.  Hopefully you can assemble at least a partial group that wants to stick together.  Good luck with the people-match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Correct.  Why did they add this as it is not something waitstaff are made aware of.

I think it was in the dream of the perfect DMW before the software was written.

The object was to put together a table with x people who wanted to eat in the same dining room at the same time at the same eating speed. Eating at the same speed would determine when the table would be available for the next group of people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

I think it was in the dream of the perfect DMW before the software was written.

This sentence tweaked my mind onto the thing I have posted in the past a couple of time about how to fix DMW.  Why not repeat it in some form as there are new folks have not seen it and anyone interested is welcome to voice opinions to Princess (or back at me, LOL) and maybe they will address.  Since I did write this initially, I do feel that most of the DR Mgrs seem to be trying to make the best of it these days and help people out. 

How to Fix DMW and Try and Make Everyone Happy.

The first thing to realize is that DMW software cannot possibly put shared tables together the way people used to like to do Traditional Dining.  Nor can it slot a couple into the same table every night, despite you booking same time in that same DR nightly.

DMW should first ask the guest if they want Traditional Dining (defined as Same DR Table and Same Waitstaff for entire voyage whenever they are in MDR for dinner).  If the response is "YES", guest is then asked if they want a Private table for their Dining Party or if they want a Sharing Table for their Dining Party.  If the guest has elected "Sharing", they are then asked for preferred table size (6/8/10).  Next, the guest is offered the time slots and asked to select one.  And that ends the DMW session.  All of this information is gathered and sent to the DRO (Director, Restaurant Operations) on the ship just a few days before sail date.  The DRO then utilizes this information (and they could also consider the speed attribute that is in the guest profile when matching strangers).  The DRO puts together the TD requests and utilizes one or more of the DR's for this purpose.  DMW should also be enhanced to feedback to the guest their DR and Table assignment which should appear in the Dining section of the App anytime after the DRO has organized the table reservations.

In order to make this happen, one entire DR is kept out of DMW from voyage booking open date until sail date.  Also, requests for TD are cutoff in the App as soon as the data is forwarded to the DRO and a message on the App will inform guests they need to book regular dining or do walk-up.  For whatever reason(s), one of the typical three DR's is already not being available in the App for many ships/voyages it seems.

Okay, so for those who want to book ad hoc, or not looking to lock down a set table, they would use DMW to book space as you see it now basically.  Two DR's would be available and folks would select Private or Sharing (again I would add table-size as a parameter, subject to availability).  Those booking in DMW this way (like current situation) would have no guarantee of the same table each night, nor the same tablemates if sharing.

If a guest is not interested in booking times for dinner, they can ignore DMW - as is the case now - and be a walk-up.

Once the DRO has completed table assignments for the guests requesting the TD experience, he can release any unused table space back into the DMW pool for ad hoc reservations on board or for filling walk-up requests (whatever makes sense).  Any guest with confirmed TD spot will have the DR, Time, Table # appear in DMW App.

It has to go back to the manual process in order to keep the same people together and at the same table each night.  It's the only way, or only option is what we have today - guest needs to get with DR Mgmt or Host on Day 1 ASAP and get their request in (this is really for a Private Table because only guests can create their own Sharing Table group that agrees to stick together).  A group that wants to stay together at a 6 or 8 top can always make this known to DR Mgmt now and hope they can work something out.

On 8/10/2023 at 12:31 PM, lssg said:

We are having the same problem.  We have a B2B booked, and have friends joining us on the second cruise.  They were able to book us at a table with them for the second cruise.  I did try calling yesterday, and after waiting on hold and receiving a callback, I was cut off when the agent put me on hold.  She never called back.  Another thing for my to do list.

14 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

We are having the same problem.  We have a B2B booked, and have friends joining us on the second cruise.  They were able to book us at a table with them for the second cruise.  I did try calling yesterday, and after waiting on hold and receiving a callback, I was cut off when the agent put me on hold.  She never called back.  Another thing for my to do list.

I wonder if this is an issue because you are B2B and the friends do not even have a res for second voyage.  Had you added them as Travel and Dining Companions in the App?  If possible, cancel this out and delete them from your profile.  Then try and make DMW for first voyage.  You need to book it one night at a time and do not try and book entire voyage option because that encompasses the second voyage with friends.

16 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This sentence tweaked my mind onto the thing I have posted in the past a couple of time about how to fix DMW.  Why not repeat it in some form as there are new folks have not seen it and anyone interested is welcome to voice opinions to Princess (or back at me, LOL) and maybe they will address.  Since I did write this initially, I do feel that most of the DR Mgrs seem to be trying to make the best of it these days and help people out. 

How to Fix DMW and Try and Make Everyone Happy.

The first thing to realize is that DMW software cannot possibly put shared tables together the way people used to like to do Traditional Dining.  Nor can it slot a couple into the same table every night, despite you booking same time in that same DR nightly.

DMW should first ask the guest if they want Traditional Dining (defined as Same DR Table and Same Waitstaff for entire voyage whenever they are in MDR for dinner).  If the response is "YES", guest is then asked if they want a Private table for their Dining Party or if they want a Sharing Table for their Dining Party.  If the guest has elected "Sharing", they are then asked for preferred table size (6/8/10).  Next, the guest is offered the time slots and asked to select one.  And that ends the DMW session.  All of this information is gathered and sent to the DRO (Director, Restaurant Operations) on the ship just a few days before sail date.  The DRO then utilizes this information (and they could also consider the speed attribute that is in the guest profile when matching strangers).  The DRO puts together the TD requests and utilizes one or more of the DR's for this purpose.  DMW should also be enhanced to feedback to the guest their DR and Table assignment which should appear in the Dining section of the App anytime after the DRO has organized the table reservations.

In order to make this happen, one entire DR is kept out of DMW from voyage booking open date until sail date.  Also, requests for TD are cutoff in the App as soon as the data is forwarded to the DRO and a message on the App will inform guests they need to book regular dining or do walk-up.  For whatever reason(s), one of the typical three DR's is already not being available in the App for many ships/voyages it seems.

Okay, so for those who want to book ad hoc, or not looking to lock down a set table, they would use DMW to book space as you see it now basically.  Two DR's would be available and folks would select Private or Sharing (again I would add table-size as a parameter, subject to availability).  Those booking in DMW this way (like current situation) would have no guarantee of the same table each night, nor the same tablemates if sharing.

If a guest is not interested in booking times for dinner, they can ignore DMW - as is the case now - and be a walk-up.

Once the DRO has completed table assignments for the guests requesting the TD experience, he can release any unused table space back into the DMW pool for ad hoc reservations on board or for filling walk-up requests (whatever makes sense).  Any guest with confirmed TD spot will have the DR, Time, Table # appear in DMW App.

It has to go back to the manual process in order to keep the same people together and at the same table each night.  It's the only way, or only option is what we have today - guest needs to get with DR Mgmt or Host on Day 1 ASAP and get their request in (this is really for a Private Table because only guests can create their own Sharing Table group that agrees to stick together).  A group that wants to stay together at a 6 or 8 top can always make this known to DR Mgmt now and hope they can work something out.

I'm very impressed!  You've obviously put a lot of thought into that!

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2023 at 5:24 PM, Steelers36 said:

I wonder if this is an issue because you are B2B and the friends do not even have a res for second voyage.  Had you added them as Travel and Dining Companions in the App?  If possible, cancel this out and delete them from your profile.  Then try and make DMW for first voyage.  You need to book it one night at a time and do not try and book entire voyage option because that encompasses the second voyage with friends.

Our friends actually just signed up for the cruise last week.  Prior to that, we were not able to sign up either.  When my friend signed up for dining, I gave her our booking number and she was able to book us together. Still cannot book us for the first cruise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jajsmom said:

Our friends actually just signed up for the cruise last week.  Prior to that, we were not able to sign up either.  When my friend signed up for dining, I gave her our booking number and she was able to book us together. Still cannot book us for the first cruise.

Are you CC Platinum or Elite level?   Have you made final payment?  Have you tried the website version of the App?

Edited by Steelers36

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Are you CC Platinum or Elite level?   Have you made final payment?  Have you tried the website version of the App?

We turn platinum on this cruise.  Final payment is made, and our friends were even able to book us with them.

What is the website version of the app?  I'm not familiar with that.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, jajsmom said:

We turn platinum on this cruise.  Final payment is made, and our friends were even able to book us with them.

What is the website version of the app?  I'm not familiar with that.  Thanks!

Go here on Princess.com:   https://www.princess.com/plan/oceanready/ .  

Dine My Way℠ Reservations

/images/global/plan/oceanready/plan-oceanready-app-dinemyway-640.jpg

Choose times and preferences for the dining room and specialty restaurants.
Reserve early for the best availability!

Available in the Princess MedallionClass App

Download the MedallionClass app from Apple's App store  Download MedallionClass app from Google Play store

Don't have a compatible device? Try our web version

Use the web version link and sign into your account or use the Name/Birthdate/Booking Number option to access your voyage.  You can perform Ocean Ready steps and also access DMW.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Go here on Princess.com:   https://www.princess.com/plan/oceanready/ .  

Dine My Way℠ Reservations

/images/global/plan/oceanready/plan-oceanready-app-dinemyway-640.jpg

Choose times and preferences for the dining room and specialty restaurants.
Reserve early for the best availability!

Available in the Princess MedallionClass App

Download the MedallionClass app from Apple's App store  Download MedallionClass app from Google Play store

Don't have a compatible device? Try our web version

Use the web version link and sign into your account or use the Name/Birthdate/Booking Number option to access your voyage.  You can perform Ocean Ready steps and also access DMW.

Thanks, but I'm still having problems.  Will only allow me to book dining for the first night.  Have to call them again.

• Thanks 1

i hate they took away true traditional dining.  i don't care about table mates, none have been so horrible, and one i am still friends with long after that cruise. i saw they have the option in the app to have the same table every night, BUT none of the times or dining rooms seemed to have that available for any option, i tired private and shared tables at every time at every dining room.  

what i miss is knowing the waitstaff and specifically they knowing me.  i am super bad with names, so it sucks to learn new names every night.  also i have food allergies, so every night i have to massively explain my issues instead of them going over it night one and making notes they reference each night.   on one cruise,

We have had issues as well with these issues.

1. You may not get the same time every night as there are limited spots available for all time slots before the cruise starts

2. When traveling with friends, we could not book and link dining reservations in advance because we didn’t all book through the cruise line (some with TA).  Easily fixed upon embarkation 

Seems to me if you want same time every night with same wait staff, best bet is Traditional dining

Edited by Cruise till you drop