Formal Nights

sabrefan

On 8/11/2023 at 6:48 PM, roadster08 said:

Many of our European cousins, especially the Brits, still like to dress up for dining in the MDR on formal nights.

Can confirm

doesn’t mean you have to dress up but if you are sailing out of Southampton just be aware that many will.

for anyone wondering, sailing out of Southampton on Royal & P&O (likely to be especially dressy!) I’ve seen suit & tie/ bowtie of all colours, patterns and materials, as well as the more traditional full tux, & also Scottish traditional dress.

I’ve also seen women with tiaras (yes, really), & ballgowns

Me, I’m not a very dressy person usually

Last cruise I wore a long black flowing maxi dress, patterned. I felt very formal, with husband in a suit & daughter in a lovely pretty dress. 

very next day saw someone sat on table by me wearing exactly same dress as smart/casual😂 

ah well. I felt good tho. We all felt good. That’s the main thing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david63 said:

If you look at the daily "hymn sheet" it says "Tonight's attire: ..." - there is no mention of suggested, recommended or any other discretionary term.

Oh sure there is. Only the fashion police would read anything else into it after spending a few nights in the MDR. Just saying something doesn't make it so. No matter how many times it's repeated. 

Welcome to the 21st century!!😀

And enjoy your cruise. 

1 hour ago, david63 said:

If you look at the daily "hymn sheet" it says "Tonight's attire: ..." - there is no mention of suggested, recommended or any other discretionary term.

I checked a few of my patters from the Enchanted last Feb/March and there's no mention of of any dress code or suggestions on any of them. Also the signs which use to be at the entrance to the DR doors are also gone.

Have you actually been on a Princess ship in the last 2 years or are you just quoting what's printed on a copy of the patter pre Covid ?

Mar 6, 2023.pdf

• Like 1

SOS! Been discussed, cussed and more for over 25 years.

All cruise lines we have been on the past 2 years don't care and do NOT enforce a dress code, recommended or suggested code.

That includes Celebrity, MSC, NCL, RCI.

Dress to Impress! Yourself. LOL

• Like 4

7 hours ago, drwbrt said:

I love that @Bgwest correctly predicted the onslaught of shaming.  

Well, it is a set of written rules about dressing

I'm confused, which is it?

Seriously folks, show of hands, has anyone been denied access to the MDR while wearing shorts (for clarity sake: gray or khaki shorts with a polo and close-toed shoes)?  In the last six months? 

I haven’t, but I saw people turned away consistently on the Sky last November.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

For what reasons. Shorts? No shoes? Lack of a dress shirt with buttons? No jacket?

The question I answered was “Has anyone been turned away from the main dining room for wearing shorts”. I replied that I haven’t but have seen it happen to others several times recently.

I don’t personally care what people wear, but feel they should be aware that the “no shorts” policy is enforced by some dining room managers. If eating in the MDR is important to them, they should be prepared and be sure to pack long pants.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

The question I answered was “Has anyone been turned away from the main dining room for wearing shorts”. I replied that I haven’t but have seen it happen to others several times recently.

I don’t personally care what people wear, but feel they should be aware that the “no shorts” policy is enforced by some dining room managers. If eating in the MDR is important to them, they should be prepared and be sure to pack long pants.

Shorts & T-shirts are the most common thing I’ve seen people turned away for in MDR. that said, jeans & shirts with collars, including polo shirts, absolutely fine.

trainers seemed ok too.

None of this on a Princess ship. But it was the same experience across the 3 cruise companies we’ve sailed with.

so we won’t be going into the MDR in shorts & t-shirts on Princess either. Really can’t be bothered with having to get changed just in case we get a manager who enforces this

3 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I missed that part about the shorts. I thought there were other items that caused people to be rejected, like sweat pants, ripped jeans, etc. 

On 8/11/2023 at 10:10 AM, sabrefan said:

Very used to country club casual type dress for dinner.

You will be just fine with country club casual and even that maybe over dressing for Princess these days.  Princess' so called dress code are suggestions only.  We have never seen anyone turned away from the dining room in all the cruises we have done and we have seen plenty of so called dress code violations welcomed into the MDR.

They restaurant managers are too busy trying to find tables for people now instead of being line monitors.

Princess seems to be more in the business these days of promoting alcohol consumption than elegance.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I missed that part about the shorts. I thought there were other items that caused people to be rejected, like sweat pants, ripped jeans, etc. 

But don't many women spend a lot of extra money to get fashion type pre-ripped jeans.  I would also assume that the more ripped they are the more money the cost.

DON

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Then that should go for opening doors for women and letting them off elevators first as well.  Let them open their own doors and let's block them from rushing to the front to be first off when the elevator door opens.

Let them manage to pull their own chairs in and out at dinner. 

Well, my Jack Sparrow friend, let me say this. What you've done is present the very definition of a flawed and careless conflation. How in the world you've managed to make the leap from fossilised dress "rules and codes" to genteel conduct in a polite society is staggering. Literary license is one thing but you've managed to run completely off the rails on this one. 

Regarding @Princessfan20's question.....I do. The damsel in distress notion is just plain silly. It's common courtesy. I do the same thing for men and women. Especially so for someone who appears to need a bit more time and perhaps help than do I or someone else.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

It's common courtesy. I do the same thing for men and women. Especially so for someone who appears to need a bit more time and perhaps help than do I or someone else.  

We ladies who still appreciate such polite gestures from gentlemen thank you. Good manners are appropriate for every dress code!😉

• Like 1