Elegant nights?

mickym

Apparently, different cruise directors choose to use different names.  Formal, and Dress to Impress, seem to be the most popular in our experience over the last 18 months.  We always dress up on those two (or three, on a 12-night) evenings; some do, some do not.

What ship will you be on, and how long?

Three cruises since the virus disaster.  People wear everything ... from a sheath covered with red sequins and matching 5" stilettos on the arm of a man wearing a red sequined-blazer to their normal 'nice go to dinner' clothes.  I always bring a few 'dress-up' things for formal nights because I enjoy it.  My husband never goes beyond long pants with a tucked-in shirt and a belt.  If you enjoy dressing up, people will admire you ... but nobody will care as long as you look presentable.  Cruisers wearing snaggly t-shirts and ragged jeans are everywhere, of course.  I think they look awful, but that's my problem, not theirs.  

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Apparently, different cruise directors choose to use different names.  Formal, and Dress to Impress, seem to be the most popular in our experience over the last 18 months.  We always dress up on those two (or three, on a 12-night) evenings; some do, some do not.

What ship will you be on, and how long?

Harmony of the Seas. 

13 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Three cruises since the virus disaster.  People wear everything ... from a sheath covered with red sequins and matching 5" stilettos on the arm of a man wearing a red sequined-blazer to their normal 'nice go to dinner' clothes.  I always bring a few 'dress-up' things for formal nights because I enjoy it.  My husband never goes beyond long pants with a tucked-in shirt and a belt.  If you enjoy dressing up, people will admire you ... but nobody will care as long as you look presentable.  Cruisers wearing snaggly t-shirts and ragged jeans are everywhere, of course.  I think they look awful, but that's my problem, not theirs.  

Thank you 😊 

• 3 weeks later...

Packing for a 21 day Norway and Baltic starting mid-September and I am guessing 4-6 dressy nights on a HAL.   I do the evening pants and a few dressy tops in rotation.  I was wondering if it is too early in the fall season for velvet.  I realize people wear everything but I wondered if it would be too heavy.

I guess I am of the generation that still follows rules like no white shoes after Labor Day so maybe it really doesn't matter.

badtwin, it just so happens that I am packing a velvet jacket, to wear with flowy pants, on my C/NE cruise in two weeks.

Aboard the ships, especially now that some have enhanced post-covid AC, I am always cold.  My evening outfits, on both casual and formal nights, now always have sleeves, usually long.  I miss wearing my standard sleeveless/strapless dresses, but I refuse to cover them up with a cardigan, or worse yet, a big hoodie.

I also think of ships as having no particular place/time/season, just a world unto themselves, therefore we can create our own choices. (But, having said that, I would not be likely to wear a Carib-print dress on an Alaska cruise.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, badtwin said:

Packing for a 21 day Norway and Baltic starting mid-September and I am guessing 4-6 dressy nights on a HAL.   I do the evening pants and a few dressy tops in rotation.  I was wondering if it is too early in the fall season for velvet.  I realize people wear everything but I wondered if it would be too heavy.

I guess I am of the generation that still follows rules like no white shoes after Labor Day so maybe it really doesn't matter.

Velvet will be perfect for that area of the world mid-September.  Unless, like me, you're always much too warm.  I have to be so careful to wear clothing that is light enough.  My year-round travel wardrobe is a short-sleeved shirt worn open over a tank top.  I always bring a windbreaker and a medium-weight long-sleeved shirt, for shore excursions and so I can walk out on deck comfortably.  I would give my right arm to be able to pack my brown velvet blazer or even a plushy fleece sweater.  As for the 'no white shoes after Labor Day' ... that always makes me laugh. WTH does it matter to anyone?  

• Like 1