Validation of travel insurance

Today I received an email from my CC provider (NAB Rewards Platinum (Velocity)) advising policy changes. 

I browsed through the info and the only thing that caught my eye was cover is up to age 81, presumably without pre existing conditions. So, I'm good for another six years, all things going well.😁

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Today I received an email from my CC provider (NAB Rewards Platinum (Velocity)) advising policy changes. 

I browsed through the info and the only thing that caught my eye was cover is up to age 81, presumably without pre existing conditions. So, I'm good for another six years, all things going well.😁

Do you regularly use the NAB travel insurance?

We're with Citibank, which has been taken over by NAB in Australia. They also have just revised their terms of insurance which, given your comment above, makes sense as it is in effect now the NAB travel insurance. As well as the cover up to age 81, the other major change for Citibank users is that you now only have to have spent $500 on overseas travel costs - Citibank used to require that the full cost of your overseas travel was paid through them which essentially made it useless for us as we often use a different card when paying for stuff charged in overseas currencies.

So I'd be interested in hearing your comments about the NAB insurance. Up until now we've used Insure and Go and been happy with them but the travel insurance through them is going to cost a heap for our world cruise next year so if I can use the NAB insurance it would be great.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Do you regularly use the NAB travel insurance?

We're with Citibank, which has been taken over by NAB in Australia. They also have just revised their terms of insurance which, given your comment above, makes sense as it is in effect now the NAB travel insurance. As well as the cover up to age 81, the other major change for Citibank users is that you now only have to have spent $500 on overseas travel costs - Citibank used to require that the full cost of your overseas travel was paid through them which essentially made it useless for us as we often use a different card when paying for stuff charged in overseas currencies.

So I'd be interested in hearing your comments about the NAB insurance. Up until now we've used Insure and Go and been happy with them but the travel insurance through them is going to cost a heap for our world cruise next year so if I can use the NAB insurance it would be great.

I always book using my NAB Velocity card (everything I pay for goes on the CC which adds to my Velocity points). I've never had to claim except once when I took out additonal, high risk, travel insurance because I was doing, or should I say intended to do, a motorcycle tour of NZ and had an accident on the first day.🙁

You are correct, only have to pay minimum of $500. I also pay an annual card fee of $150.

The only reason I got the NAB card, about 25 years ago was because it was the only CC at the time which awarded Flybuys on purchases. I did not have any accounts with the NAB and have managed to get the limit up to $15,000 so that I could pay for travel in full if need be. I also pay it off in full each month.

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I always book using my NAB Velocity card (everything I pay for goes on the CC which adds to my Velocity points). I've never had to claim except once when I took out additonal, high risk, travel insurance because I was doing, or should I say intended to do, a motorcycle tour of NZ and had an accident on the first day.🙁

You are correct, only have to pay minimum of $500. I also pay an annual card fee of $150.

The only reason I got the NAB card, about 25 years ago was because it was the only CC at the time which awarded Flybuys on purchases. I did not have any accounts with the NAB and have managed to get the limit up to $15,000 so that I could pay for travel in full if need be. I also pay it off in full each month.

So no issues using it for cruises? I believe we have to inform them about pre-existing conditions and get a document from them to say we are covered for those. 

Our Citibank card also gives us reward points which I can transfer to Velocity. We used to use it for everything but with Princess now charging a credit card surcharge we decided not to use it for the world cruise fare and prepaying excursions. Also we don't use it now for payments in overseas currencies as their exchange rates aren't good plus they charge foreign transaction fees. However I will make sure we pay a part of the world cruise fare on that card to get the travel insurance cover.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So no issues using it for cruises? I believe we have to inform them about pre-existing conditions and get a document from them to say we are covered for those. 

Our Citibank card also gives us reward points which I can transfer to Velocity. We used to use it for everything but with Princess now charging a credit card surcharge we decided not to use it for the world cruise fare and prepaying excursions. Also we don't use it now for payments in overseas currencies as their exchange rates aren't good plus they charge foreign transaction fees. However I will make sure we pay a part of the world cruise fare on that card to get the travel insurance cover.

So far, I don't have any reportable, pre-existing, conditions.

23 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

So far, I don't have any reportable, pre-existing, conditions.

I'm going to ring them on Tuesday to find out what we have to report in that respect. We have a few that we've had to report for Insure and Go. 

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm going to ring them on Tuesday to find out what we have to report in that respect. We have a few that we've had to report for Insure and Go. 

It should be in here.

https://www.nab.com.au/content/dam/nab/documents/policy/insurance/nab-card-insurance-policy-information-booklet-November-2023.pdf

I just browsed. Pages 14/15 (definitions) I believe

Edited by lyndarra
extra info

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Rolf just went through that carefully. They don't specify what existing conditions are covered so a phone call will be necessary.

It's looking promising though. 😊

Thanks for all your help.