Some HAL entertainment additions to come

Copper10-8

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

You don't have to be consciously paying attention to music to derive pleasure from it. Good music, not blaring out at you, can feed your soul directly. 

At work, a very long time ago, we had a low volume music system playing softly in the morning. In the afternoon the music was changed to a hard rock. 
I noticed a major difference in how people were with each other in the two different times of day. In the morning, they were quieter, and actually behaved nicer to each other. In the afternoons, much more agitated. 

That's fine for you, but it's not why I'm going to hear live music. If your argument is going to hold up, then the people walking by the classical music venue shouldn't upset the people sitting in the chairs.

2 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Which is why you need an intimate setting for chamber music.

I have no problem with an intimate setting for chamber music. What I have a problem with, just as some of the posters complaining about the old venue for chamber music(subjected to the noisy people walking by) is going to hear live music and not being able to hear it because people are having a party in the venue.

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

One listens to recorded music. One feels live music.

No matter the genre.

Miked classical music on a cavernous stage with no natural acoustics is not even worth the price of finding a seat.

Amen! Amen! Amen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

My main complaint with the music walk is it is always just LOUD.   It is meant to be  a concert and I don’t think anyone at BB Kings is angry with passengers strolling by talking, this was discussed in relation to classical music.   Classical music belongs in an enclosed space if they want it to be a strictly listening experience. 

It's funny but I think of the BBKing/LCS space as being next to the Music Walk but not part of it. It is obvious that a great deal of care went into fine-tuning the acoustics and the acoustic footprint of the space -- the way the inner walls (along the corridors on both decks) undulate and the like. A full set of double-doors set the BBKing/LCS space apart from the (the rest of?) the Music Walk. Part of the acoustic design must have addressed the "interference" of passers-by because I never encountered a problem there. To me all that care, work, and expense (including the acquisition of a dedicated Steinway piano for each venue!) makes the sacrifice of Lincoln Center Stage all the more lamentable.

1 minute ago, Petronillus said:

It's funny but I think of the BBKing/LCS space as being next to the Music Walk but not part of it. It is obvious that a great deal of care went into fine-tuning the acoustics and the acoustic footprint of the space -- the way the inner walls (along the corridors on both decks) undulate and the like. A full set of double-doors set the BBKing/LCS space apart from the (the rest of?) the Music Walk. Part of the acoustic design must have addressed the "interference" of passers-by because I never encountered a problem there. To me all that care, work, and expense (including the acquisition of a dedicated Steinway piano for each venue!) makes the sacrifice of Lincoln Center Stage all the more lamentable.

I guess it depends on ship as to the configuration.  The last time I visited BB Kings it was basically on the corridor and as a matter of fact was so loud we sat on seats in the corridor to listen.  Different configurations and different experiences make these discussions difficult as we all had different experiences.  I would like to see classical music on the main stage more often. I have seen some wonderful classically trained musicians on the main stage. 

13 hours ago, seaoma said:

I have no problem with an intimate setting for chamber music. What I have a problem with, just as some of the posters complaining about the old venue for chamber music(subjected to the noisy people walking by) is going to hear live music and not being able to hear it because people are having a party in the venue.

But is sounds like you saying that there shouldn't be live music in venues where people socialize because some people might be loud.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, electro said:

But is sounds like you saying that there shouldn't be live music in venues where people socialize because some people might be loud.

It only sounds like that because everyone likes to ignore the quietly part.

If I was HAL and wanted to save some money, I'd take a look at some of those venues and notice how many people were there enjoying the music vs those socializing and ignoring the music. 

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

If I was HAL and wanted to save some money, I'd take a look at some of those venues and notice how many people were there enjoying the music vs those socializing and ignoring the music. 

Better suggestion is to monitor how many people avoid venues because they are too loud and/or the canned music is too irritating.

We had a heck of time getting away from the intrusive canned music on the Konigsdam. Finally found only two venues that were quiet - one side room area in the Crows Nest, and the Ocean Bar during the daytime. 

It was even blasting in the quiet, extra cost Retreat Cabana area, but at least we got them to turn it down (to the cheers of other passengers.) Ahhhh, for the sounds of silence being at sea .......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seaoma said:

Some of us socialize, (not loudly) and enjoy the music. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Better suggestion is to monitor how many people avoid venues because they are too loud and/or the canned music is too irritating.

We had a heck of time getting away from the intrusive canned music on the Konigsdam. Finally found only two venues that were quiet - one side room area in the Crows Nest, and the Ocean Bar during the daytime. 

It was even blasting in the quiet, extra cost Retreat Cabana area, but at least we got them to turn it down (to the cheers of other passengers.) Ahhhh, for the sounds of silence being at sea .......

I am absolutely in agreement for the sounds of being at sea. It's the reason I cruise.

My experience, at least on the Pinnacle ships, is that there is a huge group that don't mind the loud music. The venues are packed to capacity at every show. So, it seems to be a success.

Do some people like it? Not everyone, evidently. 

I actually agree that there are few places on those ships to enjoy a quiet spot, whether inside or outside. We have decided to only book verandahs because we know we will be in our cabin more often.

30 minutes ago, electro said:

Some of us socialize, (not loudly) and enjoy the music. These are not mutually exclusive concepts.

I am reminded of my days being a hostess at a local steak house, where Frank Sinatra was piped into the background music, while people dined and socialized at the same time.

I pinched myself - I was getting paid and got to listen to Frank Sinatra at the same time. Heaven, and picked up enough tip money to buy a bag of BBQ potato chips on the way home. 

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 2:25 AM, Copper10-8 said:

Hi y'all; we are currently on Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska and learned about some entertainment additions to come. This may be old news so, if it is, please ignore it!

HAL will be adding two vocalists to the group of six Step One dancers and is also adding new shows, one of which called "Move," they performed last Monday evening (without the vocalists). Once in place, it will start looking a bit more like the old performance casts of several years ago prior to the introduction of Step One.

Also learned that they are bringing back Lincoln Center Stage for performances, not nightly in the Explorations Lounge, but on the Main Stage, two to three times a week.

These changes/additions will be introduced on the different ships towards the end of this year, and will be completed prior to the start of the 2024 Alaska season

Thanks John, for this information, getting back to this topic, any information as to the new show(s) will again consist of a set of four shows by the one step dancers, just as they previously had with “Humanity”, “In Tandem”, “Musicology” and “Off The Charts”, or are they just replacing one of these shows?

Edited by Alphen

8 hours ago, Alphen said:

Thanks John, for this information, getting back to this topic, any information as to the new show(s) will again consist of a set of four shows by the one step dancers, just as they previously had with “Humanity”, “In Tandem”, “Musicology” and “Off The Charts”, or are they just replacing one of these shows?

Hi Jeroen; So, we saw one brand new show last week - "Move" - by the Step One dancers, and they did one of their older shows "Humanity"

The plan is to add two vocalists to the six dancers and come out with brand new shows between the end of 2023 and the beginning of the 2024 Alaska season. Unknown at this time if that new group will still be known as the Step One dancers (the vocalists will not dance, at least not like the Step One group dances) or if they will go back and name them "ship name cast" 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hi Jeroen; So, we saw one brand new show last week - "Move" - by the Step One dancers, and they did one of their older shows "Humanity"

The plan is to add two vocalists to the six dancers and come out with brand new shows between the end of 2023 and the beginning of the 2024 Alaska season. Unknown at this time if that new group will still be known as the Step One dancers (the vocalists will not dance, at least not like the Step One group dances) or if they will go back and name them "ship name cast" 

Thanks John, we will wait and see, if they continue one show, it should be “Humanity”, but then again, such was also the case with “Droom”! 😎

37 minutes ago, Alphen said:

Thanks John, we will wait and see, if they continue one show, it should be “Humanity”, but then again, such was also the case with “Droom”! 😎

Humanity is a favorite, but we also like "In Tandem," their Latin show, which has the BB King's male vocalist in it

• Like 1

So will these changes be on all the ships by December 31?? Or is there a schedule?  I have a 15 night Asia cruise on the Westerdam in mid January that's been postponed twice. I would have had Lincoln Center, which I loved, had it sailed in 2021. Hoping this happens for that cruise!